Drill bit

Chris1983

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello all,

About to embark on drilling pop top for rails/ solar.

Question is, what is best drill bit to get through clean?

Many thanks.

Chris

Depending upon what size hole you require I’d be inclined to use, or at least start with, a HSS centre drill.
I’d use masking tape on both sides, I’d go relatively slowly, not press and let the drill do the cutting, a little bit at a time.
I’d also drill in from both sides, if it was at all possible, to minimise any breakout, but it depends if you can physically get a drill in.
I might even consider taping a flat bit of wood to the underside with decent double sided 3M tape as a backing piece, keeping the tape away from where the hole is going.
The worst thing you can do is accidentally punch through or for the drill to suddenly bite and catch.

Step drills are brilliant for controlling the hole size in the sheet you are working with, I have had no issues going up to 40mm. Plenty of info on youtube if you need any pointers.

Need 6mm at least for wire.

I have purchased step bit and centre point. Presume need to commit to one, as in centre point followed by step no good?

Ordered a gromet to protect wire from cut edges, ordered a cable entry gland to protect inside from weather (even though drilling outside canvas.

Ordered ALL the drill bits.

Need to shorten sca rails I purchased and drill a hole from corner of pop top bed area down into ‘wardrobe’ as main jobs !

need to work out where to ground wire to from solar controller.

Got the spade bit piggy back and wire on the way for that.

Accessed shelf void on high rear shelf

need to work out where to ground wire to from solar controller.

Got the spade bit piggy back and wire on the way for that.

Accessed shelf void on high rear shelf
On your Hillside Birchover you should be able to access the drivers side rear panel by taking the floor panel out of the side cupboard. It’s where the hot water tank is fitted, if you have one. Once you’ve done that you should be able to see other black ground wires going to a suitable earth stud that you can use for your ground.
With the shelf void can you drill sideways into the cupboard? So down centrally into the void, along to the side and then through?

On your Hillside Birchover you should be able to access the drivers side rear panel by taking the floor panel out of the side cupboard. It’s where the hot water tank is fitted, if you have one. Once you’ve done that you should be able to see other black ground wires going to a suitable earth stud that you can use for your ground.
With the shelf void can you drill sideways into the cupboard? So down centrally into the void, along to the side and then through?
I’ll have a look.

I have seen the hot water thing before so know that exists

Yes, I can go from shelf void into wardrobe unit.

Presume best place to fit chat be controller will be the anterior wall so wires can then be through into the fuse for spade piggy back?

Yes, I can go from shelf void into wardrobe unit.

Presume best place to fit chat be controller will be the anterior wall so wires can then be through into the fuse for spade piggy back?
Off the top of my head I can’t remember how deep the rear overhead shelf is where the carbon monoxide sensor is located. I wonder if the solar controller would fit in there? Probably not, but maybe? Otherwise it’s in the wardrobe (that can get quite warm) or another location that you could possibly use is under the cupboard in the void to the side of the RIB seat. You can run the cables through the void behind quite easily: That’s where I’ve fitted my Victron mains charger if you look through the Hillside Birchover thread I put a couple of photos up.

Back