Door unlocks but wont lock on fob and show door open all the time

Rich B

Hi, I've been having issues with doors not locking properly for a while, sometimes passenger side sliding door, then it started with the tailgate, now the drivers side door is showing that its open on the dash constantly and won't lock at all using the button in the van or thd fob. If I manually lock the doors it will open via the fob button and it will open and close with the key ok. The other issues stopped after a while I'm wondering if it's more than the individual locks/micro switches? It's a 16 plate shuttle se 150 dsg. Any thoughts?

Spray some contact cleaner into the lock, there is a microswitch that gets gummed up at the bottom of the lock claw.

Hi, I've been having issues with doors not locking properly for a while, sometimes passenger side sliding door, then it started with the tailgate, now the drivers side door is showing that its open on the dash constantly and won't lock at all using the button in the van or thd fob. If I manually lock the doors it will open via the fob button and it will open and close with the key ok. The other issues stopped after a while I'm wondering if it's more than the individual locks/micro switches? It's a 16 plate shuttle se 150 dsg. Any thoughts?
Cheers, will give it a try

Cheers, will give it a try
Well, it took virtually a full can of contact cleaner and around 18 hours but eventually this has freedom off. Door now locks via fob or button in car and alarm working again. Thanks for the advise Loz. I was very close to booking it in the garage so saved me another small fortune!

Reactions: Loz
Similar problem here. I have an automatic sliding door problem on my 2017 VW Multivan. From the fob and center console only the soft close motor activated, but not the sliding action. No sound coming from the door motor either. Checked fuses under bonnet, under seats, in the center column under dash, all fuses are OK. Where is the relay responsible for the LHS sliding door motor PLEASE?
Or is there anything you might know out there I should look out for?

The control module is underneath the motor in the rear quarter panel, it mounts on the back edge of the wheel arch

Thanks Pauly, I can see the box and lots of connecting wires. is it a 12V motor, maybe I could test it from a separate battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spray some contact cleaner into the lock, there is a microswitch that gets gummed up at the bottom of the lock claw.
Thanks Loz, I had sprayed maintenance spray thinking it was a good idea to lubricate the mechanism, however after a short time the doors wouldn't lock, so looked on the T6 forum and you supplied the remedy. Sprayed contact cleaner and immediately sorted the passenger door, and took a few hours to fix the drivers door. So a big thanks to Loz for his info.

Edit: @Loz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, Having the same problem here. 2017 T6 Startline. new to me and had not long been colour coded to bumpers and door handles by previous owner. The door handles were very stiff when I got it due to the handles being cleaned and painted so I lubricated with silicone spray. It made an immediate difference on the day I did it, however when I opened the drivers door the next morning it opened okay but will not lock on the remote. It shows both front doors open on the dash. I've tried spraying contact cleaner into the locks this morning and hoping it will work. Been an hour now, nothing yet ! Fingers crossed.

Well, it took virtually a full can of contact cleaner and around 18 hours but eventually this has freedom off. Door now locks via fob or button in car and alarm working again. Thanks for the advise Loz. I was very close to booking it in the garage so saved me another small fortune!
Hi Rich B, did you have to keep spraying the locks over the 18 hours or was that the length of time it took to free itself without constant spraying. I'm having the same trouble and wondering how long to wait before I have to take the doors to bits !
Many thanks.

Thanks Loz, I had sprayed maintenance spray thinking it was a good idea to lubricate the mechanism, however after a short time the doors wouldn't lock, so looked on the T6 forum and you supplied the remedy. Sprayed contact cleaner and immediately sorted the passenger door, and took a few hours to fix the drivers door. So a big thanks to Loz for his info.

Edit: @Loz
Hi, Nuclear Bob, did you have to keep spraying the lock for the few hours or was it a case of just waiting after you sprayed it before it worked again ? I'm having the same trouble and wondering how long to wait before I try and take the door to bits !
Many thanks

Hi guys, Having the same problem here. 2017 T6 Startline. new to me and had not long been colour coded to bumpers and door handles by previous owner. The door handles were very stiff when I got it due to the handles being cleaned and painted so I lubricated with silicone spray. It made an immediate difference on the day I did it, however when I opened the drivers door the next morning it opened okay but will not lock on the remote. It shows both front doors open on the dash. I've tried spraying contact cleaner into the locks this morning and hoping it will work. Been an hour now, nothing yet ! Fingers crossed.
You mentioned the Handle in your post but are you spraying the lock Claw on the edge of the door (not handle)?
Youtube VW door lock disassembly
door close microswitch at 6 mins.

You mentioned the Handle in your post but are you spraying the lock Claw on the edge of the door (not handle)?
Youtube VW door lock disassembly
door close microswitch at 6 mins.
Hi Loz, thanks for your speedy reply. I am spraying the lock claw on the edge of the door on both front door locks. The dash shows on the MFD both front doors open when they are closed and will not lock with the remote. I can only lock manually with the key. Great video, goes a long to helping me understand the location of the micro switch , etc.
4 hours now since I sprayed the locks several times over that period plus opening and closing the doors with the handle. Nothing changed yet will try spraying again before dismantling ?
Thanks for your help.

I'm having the same (very frustrating) issue and was wondering if anyone's able to actually lock their van entirely while having this problem? I can manually lock both doors, the sliding door (internally then using the key for the driver) but I can't lock the tailgate at all it seems? Is there something extremely obvious I'm missing? Internal locking button doesn't work and neither does fob (obviously because it thinks the door is open).

Mine is slightly more irritating as I don't have the dash that shows you which door is the issue. I believe I've determined it's the drivers side as when physically manipulating the claw arm I cannot hear a faint microswitch click when I can with the passenger.

When spraying contact cleaner into the claw arm area, I'm spraying downwards, which I believe is the correct direction from the video - it's not upwards is it?

Exactly the same as my issue. Can't lock the tailgate either.

The MFD on the dash shows both doors open which I find weird as the odds of both switches going at the same time would be rather high I think.

7 - 8 hours of waiting and spraying occasionally, nothing yet. I think it's doors dismantle tomorrow to get at the locks/switches.

I'm spraying downwards as well in the direction of the switch location.

Update,
10 hours later the drivers door is working again ! Passenger door still showing open but is now locking as per the drivers door. Hopefully the passenger door will free again soon, just sprayed some more contact cleaner into it.
Now it's just replace the rear cracked EGR pipe, get the timing belt and water pump replaced along with the idler pulley and then replace the Adblue plastic missing undertray cover.
Got to love the T6 !

That's great news! Very glad to hear it (apart from the other bits). So to recap, you just sprayed a bit of (just normal WD40 brand or similar) contact cleaner into the claw arm area every now and then for 10 or so hours and it just ended up fixing itself for one of the doors? And hopefully for the other one soon too?

No don't use ordinary WD40 you need contact cleaner, Wd40 do make contact cleaner other brands are available as well.
Yes to the rest, I sprayed it into the claw arm area many times over the 10 hours and i think it has eventually washed out the dirt, etc. Probably would have used much less cleaner if I had removed the lock itself and cleaned the micro switch. However, much less hassle this way but not very accurate and having to wait is very frustrating.
Yep just hoping that tomorrow the passenger door will show locked on the dash as well.
Hope you get yours sorted as well, may you have good luck.

Sorry I wrote it like an idiot, I meant as in the WD40 brand Contact Cleaner, not the orig WD40 stuff. Thanks very much for responding, going to go give it a fresh spurt now! Fingers crossed for your other door tomorrow.

Back