Dodo super liner on roof - foil tape required?

reyes

Hey guys

Firstly, I can't find an answer to my particular question but if that's through ineptitude on my part then I apologise.

I have stuck Dodo super liner on the roof my T6, on top of silent coat. What I'm curious about is whether people recommend foil taping where the liner meets the metal crossbeam, and also where the insulation meets the sides. Basically, should the edges be taped against the metalwork?

Thanks!

I’ve always wondered what would a bit of alley foil tape actually do??

I’ve always wondered what would a bit of alley foil tape actually do??
Well this is it, is it really necessary? I see some benefit where there's a bit of a loose point so just keeping it tight, but I've also seen some people go crazy taping every nanometer that air could reach.

Is it necessary?

Personal choice maybe, I only taped the joints on mine. I didn’t think I was getting any benefit from taping the edges especially under the roof panel? It’s pretty sticky stuff!! so I just left it

I’ve marked to watch this thread as I’m curious too. I think the answer could be to do with sealing uninsulated cool spots to reduce chance of condensation forming?
Hopefully someone rather more clued up will happen along shortly?

The van I bought had sound deadening and insulation already applied. When I was removing the foil faced insulation foam from the roof I could see that some parts hadn't been properly pushed to the roof and left a small gap. There was condensation under these parts.

So presumably if you want to avoid that happening (cool spots and condensation, every edge, hole etc. should be taped?

I've seen that approach done on sprinter conversions etc. but I've not seen it as a common thing in transporters (not that I've done/seen loads of conversions), but it hasn't struck me as a "I must do this" type of thing (foil taping every entry point).

Still not sure what to do, because if I tape the edges, it feels semi pointless unless I seal every other gap that may allow air into the roof void (such as cross beams etc.)

The van outer skin will be cold, the warm air in the van will likely be laden with water from the humans in it. You either need to keep that warm wet air out completely or you need enough ventilation that water condensation doesn't get trapped there and do damage.

I am currently doing my T6 with Dodo sound deadening, thermal pro and fleece. I have used foil tape on all joins and edges. The reason I have is due to condensation as a possibility, I was lucky enough to find some at my local Aldi for £1.99 for a 2" 10m roll, I originally purchased some from THQ for £8.99 with backing, but saw the Aldi stuff, I brought a roll and is spot on.

I went back to buy some more, only to find it had been reduced to £1.49 so I grabbed the last 6 rolls, at the check out, they scanned for £0.45 each and have got enough for everything I have planned and some

20230719_210753.jpg

Back