Dodo dead

Vinci

Residential Surveyor
T6 Guru
Help please
New battery fitted this year to 2017 T6. In the last few weeks, the van doesn’t start as usual following disabling the Ghost Immobiliser. It seems to want to think about it, and then starts, or I have to turn the key again. But start it would, with no problems during the day. BUT today similar start issues, then ok. But stopped at shop and dead as a dodo. Boosted battery in case, still dead. Green Flag couldn’t start it. Lights on dash as usual, although coil light stays on (new glow plugs a few weeks back, and it’s had new belt, water pump and alternator in recent months. But its deadness is puzzling. Help or suggestions gratefully received. Main fuse by battery ok. Thank you

crank no-start?

or

not cranking?

dash lights?

can you do a video clip and post a link ?

got any pics?

No-crank.

So,

Key barrel,
Starter trigger relays,
Trigger relay fuse,
Starter motor feed cable/fuse,
Main earth terminal and cable,
Main engine earth cable.

Try a jumper cable from engine block to battery neg post and see if it cranks.

I don't know the Ghost's operation (though am considering one at some point) but it occurs to me that if the engine doesn't start a possible fault in the item designed to not make it start shouldn't be ruled out, especially if @Vinci has noticed unusual behaviour leading up to the problem.

On my Ghost, even if it is on, the engine will start, albeit for a very short time, and hazards will turn on. Currently, I can go through deactivation and the correct dash lights come on, as they would immediately before turning the engine on. Hazards stay off.
That said, a few days ago the immobiliser activated a few miles from starting off…..typically it had to be at a busy traffic light junction on the edge of Bristol. Ran through the start sequence again from scratch, and all was good to get home.
No-crank.

So,

Key barrel,
Starter trigger relays,
Trigger relay fuse,
Main engine earth cable.

No-crank.

So,

Key barrel,
Starter trigger relays,
Trigger relay fuse,
Main engine earth cable.

Thank you.

Thank you to all who posted in response.
The garage connected some gadget to something that came up with starter motor, and apparently, the solenoid can seize up…..similar I guess to the feeling when a battery is starting to go and not got enough to crank the motor.
Learn something everyday.
For information, my van mileage is around 76000.

Back