Do I need specific sliding windows for non sliding door?

kneecap

Need some help as think I'm going mad. Bought 2 oem sliding windows and thought after looking at all the YouTube clips it was a case of cutting and fitting. However, cut my os out ( non sliding on os) and the slideing window won't fit !! Looked at some glass sellers and wonder if they are different sized apertures on non sliding and sliding doors?!

Yes, they are different but all you need to do is paint the bodywork behind the glass black and you will not notice.

The most annoying aspect will be that the curvature on the glass is not quite right on the OEM glass so you will notice that the centre line will be very close to the body and the top and bottom at leave 5mm away.

Mine was retro fitted so I am not sure if VW ever install sliding windows onto the non-sliding door OS side as these would normally be sliding doors if there were seats in the back.

I did wonder if aftermarket glass would fit better after doing my install and with the leaking OEM windows I will change out at some point to try.

Mat

Yes, they are different but all you need to do is paint the bodywork behind the glass black and you will not notice.

The most annoying aspect will be that the curvature on the glass is not quite right on the OEM glass so you will notice that the centre line will be very close to the body and the top and bottom at leave 5mm away.

Mine was retro fitted so I am not sure if VW ever install sliding windows onto the non-sliding door OS side as these would normally be sliding doors if there were seats in the back.

I did wonder if aftermarket glass would fit better after doing my install and with the leaking OEM windows I will change out at some point to try.

Mat
Thanks Mat, sorry missed your reply. The issue I have is that I've cut it exactly to the inner skin, yet the sliding rails foul the curvature of the inner /outer skin. I'm pretty handy so know that I've not cut it incorrectly and it's pretty idiot proof as the internal skin acts as a template. Think I'll resign myself to selling on and buying Camper glass windows

Cheers guys. Sold the windows a few weeks ago. Camper glass in and 1000 mile round trip with some serious rain- all dry

Back