DMF? Gearbox? Somethings not right

kurienp

VIP Member
T6 Pro
T6, at 30,000 mls. Not driven for 2 weeks. Engine started perfectly fine, but felt a strange vibration, which increased to - as if someone was holding the transmission or some part of the transmission and shaking it up and down. Reversed out of the drive way and drove 200 meters and the shaking increased. Stopped the van, got the rpm up to about 2000 for 10-15 secconds ... and the shaking went away and did not return the next 10 miles to and from the shops.

Does it indicate an issue with the DMF or gearbox or something else? Any clues and thoughts appreciated. The van will not be moving for another week and will try it again later. First time facing this issue. All else has been good with the van.

EDIT: have read all the DMF threads and they mention noise. In this case, no noise, just a shake. will not even call it a vibration. It was like proper shaking.

In neutral, the DMF is still spinning so if no vibration that would exclude the DMF by my thinking.

In neutral, the DMF is still spinning so if no vibration that would exclude the DMF by my thin

Thank you @Loz . Been out with the van twice now. Just to see if the issue occurs again. The engine runs fine and no issues at all.

... but now left with that niggling thought at the back of my mind - what is it that caused it. More checking/testing over the weekend planned now ... to see if I am able to identify. MOT due early Dec. Will get her booked into Breeze Poole. Will mention it to them to check this out as well.

Not sure if there is a way to test out the DMF? Any parameters that I can see using Carista? :dunno:

Plan to use the endoscope to see and listen to any other odd noises under the van.

Going off on a tangent maybe but could it be fuel injector related? Running on 3 cylinders will certainly make the engine lumpy which could feel quite severe through the transmission. That would certainly tie in with the way it cleared up after a quick run.
Did it feel under powered while vibrating, assuming you gave it much throttle of course?

Going off on a tangent maybe but could it be fuel injector related? Running on 3 cylinders will certainly make the engine lumpy which could feel quite severe through the transmission. That would certainly tie in with the way it cleared up after a quick run.
Did it feel under powered while vibrating, assuming you gave it much throttle of course?
Hmmm ... that is called Out of the Box thinking. Thank you. Another lead to follow. :thumbsup:More updates after I've checked a few things Saturday.

EDIT: supporting that theory - been back from a 3500 mile trip to Nordkapp. Filled in fuel from many different places on the trip, and some from Truck Diesel pumps in the back and beyond of nowhere and some of them were winterised fuels. Not sure if some of that may have caused some temporary issues.

Last edited:
Back