Discover Media Headunit Only Displays Some Album Artwork!

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a lot of my music on an SD card.
The artwork on all the albums displayed in my Golf so I know it is on the SD card, however only a very few will show in the T6.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to get it to show them all?

ThanksScreen Shot 2019-01-03 at 09.18.06.png Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 09.18.25.png

I have a lot of my music on an SD card.
The artwork on all the albums displayed in my Golf so I know it is on the SD card, however only a very few will show in the T6.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to get it to show them all?

ThanksView attachment 34618 View attachment 34619
I'm not sure if there is any setting for that.

My daft question - is it the same SD card (not a copy), the same tune you are playing on both cars?

The same view (under "selection" - folder view or database/album view) on both?

This far I haven't noticed any inconsistencies on mine - if the Album Artwork is there - either as a separate file in directory or embedded into a single tune - it will be on the T6 screen.

Maybe firmware differences are to blame, what is consistent about the ones that work? (is the artwork imbedded of separate files)

I don't think the files are corrupted. The artwork was added in iTunes then everything exported onto the SD card.
I can't see anything consistent in the ones that work/don't work.

I've had this - not with the T6 though.

It might be a tag thing.

Basically, any album that I had bought say though the itunes store, would always show the cover on my media player. However, if I ripped the album and added the ablum covers in itunes they never showed up on the media player. The music was still there though.

Size of the artwork image?

No Idea, I doubt it as they were all added by iTunes
I've had this - not with the T6 though.

It might be a tag thing.

Basically, any album that I had bought say though the itunes store, would always show the cover on my media player. However, if I ripped the album and added the ablum covers in itunes they never showed up on the media player. The music was still there though.

Not a bad thought but I've ony bought about 2 or 3 thought ITunes, all there rest are CDs that I imported into iTunes so there is no consistency there.

This is not specific, but may help as a pointer,

this may be the reason?

below taken from a Google search, original post link and credits below.

Volkswagen album art using CMS

August 23, 2016 in album art by Dan Gravell

10571978595_c6474f423c_m_d.jpg
This week I'm looking at another in-vehicle entertainment system; Volkswagen's CMS (Composition Media System). Like other systems, CMS is able to play music from a connected device. And also, like other systems, CMS sports a large 6.5″ display which can be used to show the album artwork that relates to the albums in your music library.

Why should album artwork be important? Well, there are a number of reasons, but suffice to say it makes music easier to find, and more enjoyable when you can take in the artwork known to be attached to the music. It makes music a multi-media experience!

All music players, whether in your car, on your phone or in your living room, have rules by which they find and display album artwork. They need to know where to look in your music collection, and the images that are the artwork must themselves obey certain constraints, depending on the music player. For example, there may be a maximum size for the images.

CMS album art rules
CMS is no exception, and it mandates its own rules as to how album artwork should be located and the rules it should obey.

I did some Web research and these rules are:

There is some disagreement about the maximum resolution. I have seen some suggestion that the upper limit may be as low as 400x400. I'd advise you to go with 500x500 and only revise down if you experience a problem.

There's been some suggestions that PNGs are not supported. It has since been found that it is not PNGs so much that are the problem, but the size of the PNG file. So long as you keep under the 200Kb limit, you should be ok.

There's also suggestion that the set of characters permitted in file names is a little narrow. Also, hidden files can sometimes cause problems. Some other things to consider.

Bluetooth album art is not supported. In the current versions of CMS you must use a SD card to display album art.

The guys goes on to explain how to use BLISS to fix his Library Artwork, see link below.

source: Volkswagen album art using CMS

Get the same on my ipod, think it's to do with what is downloaded off the net and wghat you have burned off a cd, least is is on mine

Thanks for all the input, especially @Dellmassive, I tried that Bliss download and it solved nearly all the album art. (I was just over the max limit of 100 fixes).

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 08.08.10.png

With music on an SD card does it matter what size so card you use . Could I fill 256gb ?

I think there’s a limit but can’t remember what it is, I think it will take SDHC but not sure about SDXC ?
I’m sure someone will have tried

I haven't saved up for a 256 GB card yet but a Kingston 128 GB UHS Class 1/Class 10 SDXC card works fine. :thumbsup:

Should be fine then, sdhc is 32gb max and I have been above that so looks good

Back