Disappointed

HootingOwl

T6 Guru
Went to VW this weekend to look at a T6 Highline 4mo to replace my 2014 lwb highline 4mo.

Went out for test drive, expecting it to be more refined and quieter than my 140 euro5. Went out in a 150 euro6 swb highline panel van.

Those easily offended should stop reading now, because I hated it. It was no quieter than my 5.1 and drove pretty much the same - hard to compare an empty panel van against mine which is loaded with 700kg of carp. The dash is a work of value-engineering that looks, feels and probably is, cheap. Highline gets same dash as startline. That light switch may be acceptable on a 7k Up! but on a 35k van? The plastics on the A Pillars are a few steps down from those on the T5. The dash pod looked like it had been pulled from a budget city car. I could have cried.

I asked about the lights. Joe, the salesman was truly excellent and I so wanted to buy a van from him. He was honest about the H7 upgrade and said it wasn't worth it and LED was the way to go. I had a chortle about the pricing of the vision plus pack that charges highline buyers about 450 quid for a couple of H7 halogen bulbs. The standard radio looked like it had dropped out of a chirstmas cracker.

My van has 27k on it and is unmarked with 2 stamps in the service book. It has lots of options on it - swivels, heated seats, 2nd battery, diff lock and other good stuff. VAT is all paid up on it and it is a perfect base for a camper. It is 2.5 years old and they offered 14k for it, dropping to 12k by the time the new one would arrive.

They wanted over 35k for the new one, after my special discount for being a VIP customer. So you are looking at about 20-odd k depreciation in 3 years. So much for solid residuals.

So it looks like i will get myself a citroen dispatch for 15k which comes with a better specification and something i can actually get a 3m length of pipe in. After 3 years, i will set fire to it and still be 5k or more better off than if I had bought the VW.

I am so disappointed with VW and their lack of vision with the T6. It stinks of complacency - they now add the scene tax at point of sale.

Look at the new Skoda Kodiaq - 32k gets you a leather-lined 4wd palace on wheels with LED lights, sat nav, 190bhp and every conceivable option. If that was a T6 it would be a good 13k more and still have that dashboard....

I will post back once I have seen the Citroen - and eat humble pie if it is as bad as it should be at the price. And no, I am not selling my t5.1 for 14k.

I have put my tin hat on and welcome replies from folks who think the T6 is good value for money. I have had a T5 which was better built than my current 5.1. Convince me that a T6 is a good buy....

I have to agree to a point, mine was the 35k mark and didn't even have a glove box light! you should defiantly get more for your money like headlights that are fit for purpose. Mind you I have moaned like hell everytime I go into vw about the glove box light, they dread seeing me now:)

Last edited:
Went to VW this weekend to look at a T6 Highline 4mo to replace my 2014 lwb highline 4mo.

Went out for test drive, expecting it to be more refined and quieter than my 140 euro5. Went out in a 150 euro6 swb highline panel van.

Those easily offended should stop reading now, because I hated it. It was no quieter than my 5.1 and drove pretty much the same - hard to compare an empty panel van against mine which is loaded with 700kg of carp. The dash is a work of value-engineering that looks, feels and probably is, cheap. Highline gets same dash as startline. That light switch may be acceptable on a 7k Up! but on a 35k van? The plastics on the A Pillars are a few steps down from those on the T5. The dash pod looked like it had been pulled from a budget city car. I could have cried.

I asked about the lights. Joe, the salesman was truly excellent and I so wanted to buy a van from him. He was honest about the H7 upgrade and said it wasn't worth it and LED was the way to go. I had a chortle about the pricing of the vision plus pack that charges highline buyers about 450 quid for a couple of H7 halogen bulbs. The standard radio looked like it had dropped out of a chirstmas cracker.

My van has 27k on it and is unmarked with 2 stamps in the service book. It has lots of options on it - swivels, heated seats, 2nd battery, diff lock and other good stuff. VAT is all paid up on it and it is a perfect base for a camper. It is 2.5 years old and they offered 14k for it, dropping to 12k by the time the new one would arrive.

They wanted over 35k for the new one, after my special discount for being a VIP customer. So you are looking at about 20-odd k depreciation in 3 years. So much for solid residuals.

So it looks like i will get myself a citroen dispatch for 15k which comes with a better specification and something i can actually get a 3m length of pipe in. After 3 years, i will set fire to it and still be 5k or more better off than if I had bought the VW.

I am so disappointed with VW and their lack of vision with the T6. It stinks of complacency - they now add the scene tax at point of sale.

Look at the new Skoda Kodiaq - 32k gets you a leather-lined 4wd palace on wheels with LED lights, sat nav, 190bhp and every conceivable option. If that was a T6 it would be a good 13k more and still have that dashboard....

I will post back once I have seen the Citroen - and eat humble pie if it is as bad as it should be at the price. And no, I am not selling my t5.1 for 14k.

I have put my tin hat on and welcome replies from folks who think the T6 is good value for money. I have had a T5 which was better built than my current 5.1. Convince me that a T6 is a good buy....
Why change it, I ran my last Vel to 180k miles, and I was gutted to get rid of it. I will be doing the same with this one finger crossed. When you run them "long", the overall running costs really comes down, and that is how I get value out of an initially very high purchase price.
I do understand your pov, we need another work van last year, and nearly bought a Fiat Ducato, but went for a brand new Peugeot Boxer with the full tech pack, tow bar and ply lining for £11.5K+VAT, it came with a 2.0litre Ford transit engine which isn't that powerful, but what a van for the money; serving every 30k miles (if a ford engine lasts that long;)), it was a complete no brainer.
I think the value with VW comes from keeping hold of it (generally speaking), oh and enjoying the worlds best van:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

@HootingOwl , last time I checked we do still live in a democracy (just). Welcome your opinion, and as I will always say; it's a case of each to their own, and I'd equally not argue that your opinion is wrong. If you don't like it, show VW your distaste and seek out an alternate.
Personally this is the 1st van I have every owned and I like it, granted I only have £55k Audi's to compare it to, so its never going to be in the same league.
Thank you for being honest and good luck finding an alternate. Guess that might mean you'll be setting up the Skoda Kodiak forum?;)

Please don't sell your old VW to the dealer at that price!! I will buy it and turn it into a camper for me and the family!!

Hi @DaveyB I had the same issue when needing more space than the Q7 for long trips. The price of the Caravelle has ended up being at least £10k more than the Q7 fully loaded so a bit of an eye opener for me that's for sure! After all the hassle though, and after getting used to the fact that it isn't as smooth, quiet, refined or fuel economical as the Audi (considering the c£65k spend), it certainly puts a smile on my face every day I walk up to it, see it in the car park or get in it and drive down the road. I am well pleased I took the jump and bought one. It is probably too late to try to convince you otherwise but I played off three VW Commercial dealerships off against each other and in the end, managed to get the £10k of options basically thrown in for nothing. The price I paid was not far off the book price including everything so it was worth the effort. Good luck with your choice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DaveyB I had the same issue when needing more space than the Q7 for long trips. The price of the Caravelle has ended up being at least £10k more than the Q7 fully loaded so a bit of an eye opener for me that's for sure! After all the hassle though, and after getting used to the fact that it isn't as smooth, quiet, refined or fuel economical as the Audi (considering the c£65k spend), it certainly puts a smile on my face every day I walk up to it, see it in the car park or get in it and drive down the road. I am well pleased I took the jump and bought one. It is probably too late to try to convince you otherwise but I played off three VW Commercial dealerships off against each other and in the end, managed to get the £10k of options basically thrown in for nothing. The price I paid was not far off the book price including everything so it was worth the effort. Good luck with your choice :)
Hi Jules, you don't need to convince me, I love my van. Not looking back one little bit at getting rid of the Audi. Mone is a Kombi so nothing as flash as your top of the range Velle. Bet you've got one of those dash's that looks like the space shuttle as well!:thumbsup:

Quality is very subjective, but having gone from a brief time with a 2015 Kombi to a new T6 Kombi I don't see the quality on the dashboard and other bits being as bad as you say and that's coming from a Porsche Cayenne, but everyone to their own....

A couple of factual points though:

The £456 for the Light Package Plus includes automatic headlights with separate daytime running lights, auto-dimming rear-view interior mirror and rain sensing wipers, additional twin halogen headlamps and fog lights with cornering lights. So it is a lot more than a "couple of H7 bulbs". You could argue that on a premium van that these should be included, but that's a slightly different issue

I had some ridiculous Px numbers from the dealers on my T5.1 so sold it privately. According to Parkers you should get £16,490 selling it privately (ex VAT), and that is with 40,000 miles. If you add on a bit for lower mileage, plus say half the £3000 VAT, you should be able to ask about £18,000 for it. For reference I sold my 2015 Trendline Kombi with 55k miles for £17,500

A couple of factual points though:

The £456 for the Light Package Plus includes automatic headlights with separate daytime running lights, auto-dimming rear-view interior mirror and rain sensing wipers, additional twin halogen headlamps and fog lights with cornering lights. So it is a lot more than a "couple of H7 bulbs". You could argue that on a premium van that these should be included, but that's a slightly different issue

On the highline everything is already included bar the "couple of H7 bulbs" so in effect your just paying for the bulbs....

But the Skoda Kodiaq is an estate car, if I'd have wanted one of those I would have got one not a T6 :(

Well I think our Cali was quite good VFM.
Climate is now standard (was £2500 on our last one) as is BT phone and music, the roof is now wateproof, the warranty is way better, the engine is FAR better and is has proper front blinds and interior lighting.
The fridge is also much quieter and the posh dash is fragile but much nicer looking.
Underside protection is also way better.

However the lights are only "okay" (H4s seem awful).

But I always value opinions and yours sound perfectly valid.

In was told not to leave the roof up in the rain when we had ours as they let water in
In the T5.1 a cover was vital. Our daughter got soaked one night in Mull.

In our T6 we've survived in heavy rain and strong winds without issues; the only place water gets in is the little vents but they can be covered. It makes life SO much easier!

@Loz @Polzeylad we never slept up there as there was only the two of us plus we had the Kyham but the salesman did say not to leave it up in the rain, one of the reasons the cover was made so you could leave it up, I am talking T5 here, the T5.1 did not come out till a year or so after and the beach was released around when we sold our T5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back