Devonports- why so hated?

I bought a set of delivery mile devonports to replace my 16" claytons when the tyres wore out. It was cheaper than replacing the tyres on the claytons and I sold the claytons on Ebay for £100 so all in it was a bargain and the look of the devonports makes a big improvement (in my opinion). To me it was a no brainer but when those wore out I replaced the tyres at a local fitter. Partly because I couldn't find any local devonports and a brand new set of all seasons cross climates was £560, so yes its more than a delivery mile set of devonports but not massively, especially as it was a lot more convenient than trying to buy, pick up then swap over my wheels then try and sell the old ones with worn out tyres for next to nothing.

I think the main reason the actual alloy hold so little value is a case of supply and demand. There are a lot of devonports out there for sale because they get swapped out when virtually new to aftermarket alloys which can greatly improve the aesthetics of the van. Demand can't be huge as the only people possibly looking to buy them either have stock 16" alloys or steels and the devonport makes an affordable easy upgrade. As others have said, places like forums etc where enthusiasts gather, chances are they either have a set already or are looking for a better look/stance from aftermarket alloys.

The average Joe (or Joise) on the street running their van for business as 'just a van' probably doesn't consider looking for new wheels and tyres, they just head to nearest tyre fitter when the old ones are due. especially as the front are likely to wear first and the cost of only two tyres is probably more cost effective to replace than all four on a delivery mile set.

I would say the best place to sell them would be places like ebay etc, that's where I sold my Claytons, just don't hold your breath for more than £450-500

Just ordered a set of Michelin Agilis All season tyres for my Devonports, £820 x4.
If I had been able to find delivery mileage wheels with All Season tyres I would have had them no problem.
Agreed that it’s daft how cheap new Devonport wheel sets are on the forum.
What size/spec have you ordered & where from? Got a link? Thanks.

I feel your pain! I almost gave away a set of Thunder alloys (17") for £100 for the lot....

No tyres, but even so - you can't even buy a naked steel spare wheel for less than £50...
I bought a Devonport for that very purpose!

What size/spec have you ordered & where from? Got a link? Thanks.
Sorry @Salty Spuds I went silent and deep there and missed this. It was Blackcircles with a code for an extra bit off the price.
They change the offers all the time so not sure if it’s still going.
Very happy with the Michelins, seem to be quite a lot quieter than the old Goodyears and has also ‘fixed’ what sounded like a prop shaft hum which might have been worn tyres and 4Motion. Very happy with purchase.
I am on the smaller standard factory size. :)

Sorry. I read this as "why" and not "where"!
I'll photograph them properly and post them for sale on Monday. They are currently in my workshops in Lymington, Hampshire.
I think I'll put them up for £450. Does that sound right?
Have you sold them yet?

I came across these on another forum which gives the illusion that the Devonports are 10 spoke wheels

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Have you sold them yet?
Sorry. I missed this. Not sold them. They are sitting in a container at work as I can't bare to part with them for tuppence hapenny! (or bear I never know!)

Edit:
Sorry. I should have said-
I'd sell them for £450 all day long.

Last edited:
Sorry. I missed this. Not sold them. They are sitting in a container at work as I can't bare to part with them for tuppence hapenny! (or bear I never know!)

Edit:
Sorry. I should have said-
I'd sell them for £450 all day long.
Good price! GLWS

(And it’s “bear”!!!)

Tyres question. Are 235x55x17 smoother and quieter than 215x60x17 I've been reading a few different reviews and getting mixed messages. My T6 caravell requires new front tires so wood consider buying a full set of alloys with delivery miles if anyone has nice silver alloys for sale. Mine are scraped, not done by me.

I love the title of this thread. i have Devonports, happy with them but they are so disliked I got a spare set, with winter tyres for £250, 4 years ago.

It was worth a 2 hour drive down the motorway to get them. Saved £250 already in swapping them over costs: changing 4 wheels is a lot cheaper than swapping 4 tyres.

Keep hating I say! :)

I paid £500 for a delivery miles set with centre caps and bolts, because I wanted the tyres and it saves me a trip to a fitter. I thought that was a decent price. I would have thought I'll get a couple of hundred quid or so for my Cascavels with worn tyres judging by eBay sold prices, so that's half price tyres. I must be a mug if they won't even sell for £450 but less of a mug than someone who pays £170 a corner for a tyre when they can replace them for half they price.

It’s down to a lack of imagination. Follow the pack, 20” alloys, lowered etc.etc.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but to maintain forum harmony it's probably best not to express those opinions in such a judgmental manner.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but to maintain forum harmony it's probably best not to express those opinions in such a judgmental manner.
I think this was just an observation that 20" wheels and a drop look great, but other options are available.

Im sure that fellow forum members are not so over sensitive to take offence to @Pant Terrors comment!

We're all different which is why some go for big wheels and some go for lowering as well but others stay on smaller and/or higher. Personally, I grew to dislike the look of the 16" alloy's that came on my van from new but, although I don't do it very often, that dislike, turned to hatred once I realised what a pain in the 4rse they were to clean (and I also thought the OEM Hankook (I think) tyres were terrible). My problem was eventually solved by buying a set of Devonports and tyres with only 10 miles on them for under £350 with a new set of bolts and lockers and I sold the old Claytons and bolts to offset the cost. After having the Devonports for a while, I also realised that I didn't like the 'star' centre caps so binned them in favour of some silvery bolt covers at under £10 from Ebay. On the lowering front, my CRS suspension is down by about 25mm but I wouldn't want to go lower and have to avoid every lump and bump in the road at normal speed (whatever that is!).

We're all different which is why some go for big wheels and some go for lowering as well but others stay on smaller and/or higher. Personally, I grew to dislike the look of the 16" alloy's that came on my van from new but, although I don't do it very often, that dislike, turned to hatred once I realised what a pain in the 4rse they were to clean (and I also thought the OEM Hankook (I think) tyres were terrible). My problem was eventually solved by buying a set of Devonports and tyres with only 10 miles on them for under £350 with a new set of bolts and lockers and I sold the old Claytons and bolts to offset the cost. After having the Devonports for a while, I also realised that I didn't like the 'star' centre caps so binned them in favour of some silvery bolt covers at under £10 from Ebay. On the lowering front, my CRS suspension is down by about 25mm but I wouldn't want to go lower and have to avoid every lump and bump in the road at normal speed (whatever that is!).
Any photos of the 'silvery bolt covers' on the van cos i dont like the star cover either

Reactions: JOG
Back