Denby Campervans, Leek

I thought I was just unlucky, but come to find out that plenty of people have had a bad experience with these cowboys.
I spoke to a local convertor who has booked me in to rectify 'serious' issues as he put it, however Denby seem to think its just in my imagination...
I will not be using them again and neither will anyone I know.
Surprised how they are still in business considering their lack of basic knowledge, non existent QA and having never heard of the concept of customer service.

They seem to have been around for years so surprising that there are bad experiences.
I tend to consult Companies House before I do business, it’s very easy to locate people and companies, accounts are available to view.
There’s a certain individual who resigned from Denby Campervans Ltd on 20 August 2020 and the same person was in also involved with Denby Motorcaravans Ltd before it had a compulsory strike off very recently on 22 June 2021.
Often companies are sold and remain trading under the same name but are not managed in the same manner as before.
It pays to do a few hours searching online before parting with large amounts of cash.

I honestly think its a case of so much demand they don't care at all about quality or service. There is so much business at the moment they just move onto the next customer.

I think Monkeytrumpet has hit the nail on the head there.... you only have to look at lead times for what is and was simple basic gear, plus, living only 9 miles away from this outfit, and driving past a few times... the prices they have on some of the vans is what can only be described as a "shot in the dark" hoping for a fool with money burning holes in their pockets walking by.... I can honestly say they have never been on my radar, far too many local reports of shoddy workmanship...for my liking... One thing I would say to anyone in situations like this... is to just use the following phrase..."the simple fact is that these goods do not conform to being fit for the purpose they are intended for".... I was given this info from a really old friend who worked alongside one of the hotshot barristers from Manchester who said this phrase normally shows that you as a customer have been seeking serious advice from the legal profession... good luck in your quest for what you have paid for... Br Boysan..

Reactions: Ozi
I only bought the poptop from them but had an awful experience. Definitely would not recommend.
Hi can I ask what the problem is with your poptop? I ordered one from Denby a few weeks ago I haven't parted with any cash yet so I could still cancel. Have you fitted it yourself as that's what I'm planning on doing.

I looked at Denby when I was doing my research.. they were under different management then and had some good reviews.. but went with AJC instead. Hope you manage to get the poor workmanship rectified

Hi can I ask what the problem is with your poptop? I ordered one from Denby a few weeks ago I haven't parted with any cash yet so I could still cancel. Have you fitted it yourself as that's what I'm planning on doing.

I fitted one of their pop tops a few weeks ago, apart from the instructions being horrendous the kit is good.
Quite basic, few parts needed refinishing like the pop up bed trim and some fixings missing. Actually ditched most of their supplied fixings and used better ones.

If you need any help, feel free to message

Firstly the instructions, which are less than useless and at some point just misleading. Then there are several components which simply don't fit. For example, there is a supporting bracket which fits under the front of the pop top which doesn't fit the the roof line of the van. You will end up using clamps and rivets to pull the shape of the van down by about an inch to meet the bracket. This feels like its making a 'well' in the roof of the cab which will collect water. Very wierd. There are two 'L' shaped plates either side of this bracket which don't line up with anything at all, and you will end up bending them and cutting bits off to try and get them to line up with anything at all. Oh and the right hand bracket should bolt to the grab handle mounting point above the driver's seat. Which doesn't exist. The rear support bracket doesn't line up with anything structural at all, I think its the skin of the roof which holds everything in place which can't be right. Again, the beam doesn't meet the roof properly. The biggest and most scary part of the job, cutting out the roof, the guidance is pretty much non-existant, you'll end up guessing where to cut, which is just worrying. The instructions have no reference to a datum line on the van! You have a basic outline, with reference to each corner, but there is no measurement front to back in reference to the windscreen/ rear door. I rang the workshop and they just laughed and said 'yeah its rubbish isn't it'

The main bracket hinge should in theory be simple as it picks up an existing hole, but the holes are not obvious. I'd suggest dismantling the bracket and marking the holes directly from it onto the roof. There is a line down the gutter on the roof which looks like it should be the centreline for the holes. It is not. Swearing and shouting follows. The instructions specifically says 'don't overtighten' the rivnuts, which is a strange instruction, because if you don't tighten them enough, the rivnut spins before the bolt is tightened down and then cannot be removed or tightened. Then lots of swearing happens.

The pop top itself is fine, its the structure and support underneath it which is absolute garbage.

As for customer service, They were a month late on delivery, there were several fittings missing, which they denied and I just had to go any buy my own, the bed deck was missing, which they then denied I ordered and made me pay for again seperately. They said there would be be support over the phone if I got into difficulties, I rang once when i first started seeing the issues, then they immediately (within half an hour) closed for a long weekend when I was fitting it.

If you do fit it yourself, i'll help out as best I can, I think I've found all the issues and next time would be easier, it is cheap after all!

That pretty much echoes my experiences, I was happy to modify to suit and use proper fixings opposed to what was supplied.
Did you find the actual fibreglass top fit okay? I had to trim a few places along the edges to fit perfectly.

The fibreglass top actually seemed to fit alright, at least well enough for the rubber seal to fit all round. Although recently its started to leak so i might revisit that.

Firstly the instructions, which are less than useless and at some point just misleading. Then there are several components which simply don't fit. For example, there is a supporting bracket which fits under the front of the pop top which doesn't fit the the roof line of the van. You will end up using clamps and rivets to pull the shape of the van down by about an inch to meet the bracket. This feels like its making a 'well' in the roof of the cab which will collect water. Very wierd. There are two 'L' shaped plates either side of this bracket which don't line up with anything at all, and you will end up bending them and cutting bits off to try and get them to line up with anything at all. Oh and the right hand bracket should bolt to the grab handle mounting point above the driver's seat. Which doesn't exist. The rear support bracket doesn't line up with anything structural at all, I think its the skin of the roof which holds everything in place which can't be right. Again, the beam doesn't meet the roof properly. The biggest and most scary part of the job, cutting out the roof, the guidance is pretty much non-existant, you'll end up guessing where to cut, which is just worrying. The instructions have no reference to a datum line on the van! You have a basic outline, with reference to each corner, but there is no measurement front to back in reference to the windscreen/ rear door. I rang the workshop and they just laughed and said 'yeah its rubbish isn't it'

The main bracket hinge should in theory be simple as it picks up an existing hole, but the holes are not obvious. I'd suggest dismantling the bracket and marking the holes directly from it onto the roof. There is a line down the gutter on the roof which looks like it should be the centreline for the holes. It is not. Swearing and shouting follows. The instructions specifically says 'don't overtighten' the rivnuts, which is a strange instruction, because if you don't tighten them enough, the rivnut spins before the bolt is tightened down and then cannot be removed or tightened. Then lots of swearing happens.

The pop top itself is fine, its the structure and support underneath it which is absolute garbage.

As for customer service, They were a month late on delivery, there were several fittings missing, which they denied and I just had to go any buy my own, the bed deck was missing, which they then denied I ordered and made me pay for again seperately. They said there would be be support over the phone if I got into difficulties, I rang once when i first started seeing the issues, then they immediately (within half an hour) closed for a long weekend when I was fitting it.

If you do fit it yourself, i'll help out as best I can, I think I've found all the issues and next time would be easier, it is cheap after all!
Thanks for getting back to me very informative I ordered mine about 4 weeks ago but I've still not got the roof yet and they are not replying to emails or phone calls, I'm tempted to go elsewhere but then it's waiting again for another roof . Thanks for the offer of help I'm sure I will need it . Is yours a LWB or SWB ? Do you have the measurements from the front window and the rear doors of the cutout as that might help when I start .

Mine is a SWB, I can't remember the measurement off the top of my head, I'll see if i wrote it down anywhere. When you pick up the top its worth pushing denby for the dimensions and better instructions!

Hi thanks ,they finally contacted me today and said it should be ready by the end of the week for collection. I will definitely try and get some better instructions and might be in touch for more help , do you have any pictures of during and after installation?

With regards to denby and their poptop, i can safely say the instructions are a waste of paper. As monkeytrumpet says, the two strengthening brackets just dont fit so need serious fettling. I've found that the pop top fits when its hot but lifts in the corners when cold so I've got a slight gap in the corners most of the time. The actual canvas and roof seem fine and i had no issue with the bars around the edge but its just the top
Itself. I may need to trim it slightly. Mines also a LWB and you get a wind deflector to fit in front of it above the windscreen. I havent fitted this as yet as your supposed to stick it to the bodywork but its only 3mm thick on the edge so im concerned itll look crap. Im debating whether to run the rubber seal same as the roof around it and stick this to the bodywork so it looks neater and the same as the pop top. Other than that ill have to trim this too as it just doesnt fit. I was told 2-3 weeks when i ordered mine and it took 6! My mate bought his swb from CMC and that fit first time with no fettling

Back