Custom headlights - recommendations

Barley53

T6 Pro
Hi, has anyone customised their stock t6 headlights, or purchased customised units? Any companies recommended?

Thanks.

Transport HQ are generally regarded as a decent upgrade, their DRL V3s for the T6 get good feedback.

Hi, has anyone customised their stock t6 headlights, or purchased customised units? Any companies recommended?

Thanks.

EM Tuning have a good reputation it seems - have a search on here and you’ll find some of their work

I have Transporter HQ V1 (no dynamic indicator-personally, not a fan) and they are a perfect fit out the box.

I've got V1s too with HIDs in the dipped beams.

Many people talk about the poor output of the DRLs and indicators on the V3s, and having seen a few out on the road, they are shocking bad from another motorists point of view. You can stare at them from a favourable angle on your drive and they will look really good, but on the road, where it matters, it's a different story.

I've got V1s too with HIDs in the dipped beams.

Many people talk about the poor output of the DRLs and indicators on the V3s, and having seen a few out on the road, they are shocking bad from another motorists point of view. You can stare at them from a favourable angle on your drive and they will look really good, but on the road, where it matters, it's a different story.

I have V3's with LED's and never had anyone flash me to say my lights are too bright.

I think you have seen some bad alignment. No need to tar all V3's.

It appears he is mentioning the "Lack" of Lumens produced from the lamp, not the glare.

Maybe I read it wrong then. Still, I'm happy with mine. The mprovement is huge without the hassle of retrofitting genuine.

Thanks everyone. I should have been clearer; I've currently got the v2's (not dynamic) from travelin lite and they are of course a vast improvement over the stock units, then I got the v3's from THQ and after comparing against the v2's I decided that the travelin lite units were better: similar main and dipped led output but the drl and the indicators on the THQ v3 units are dim during the day and are way clearer on the travelin lite units imo. Sold the THQ units on.

I've since seen some installs on a t6 from EM Tuning where the stock units have been upgraded to projectors and considering the cash I've recklessly splashed out on aftermarket units, imo they are at least as good as the VW led units, I wish I'd thought of this route before....

@Ads_Essex thanks, I've contacted EM Tuning but I'm guessing they might be closed at the moment....

Last edited:
I have V3's with LED's and never had anyone flash me to say my lights are too bright.

I think you have seen some bad alignment. No need to tar all V3's.

It's the really dim indicators and DRLs that I was referring to.

It's an observation that I've made when I've seen them on approaching vehicles. The first one I saw soon after they had been released, I thought he must have been driving with his side lights on as they seemed so dim. When he'd passed, I checked in the mirror and he had no tail lights on, so drew the conclusion that the DRLs were pretty dim. I've probably seen half a dozen other ones out on the road which have been the same. I've also just about seen them indicating and they are nowhere near as bright as V1s and V2s, in daylight anyway.

Others on here have made similar comments about them, so I don't think I'm on my own with my thoughts about them. I'm sure you are happy with yours, which is great, but there's no need to be quite so defensive about them. :)

Last edited:
Fair enough. Not defensive I am just genuinely intrigued as to why you think they are dim. Good points though.

Thanks.

Back on topic, I helped to fit bi-xenon projectors into a mates Mk5 Astra. We fitted a H1 HID kit in them and they are superb. The Astra has separate main beams, so flashing duties were taken care of with that lamp.

I'm presuming that you have H4 headlights, so with this conversion, dipped beam turns the HID on, the main switch beam triggers the 'bi' shutter to give you main beam from the same HID. If dipped beam is not switched on, all that flashing main beam switch will do is operate the shutter. You would need to make up a relayed loom that put dipped beam on with main beam to get the HID to flash. Bear in mind that this is not the same as the factory coding that keeps dipped beam on with main beams on the H7 headlights. Also, HIDs don't like being flashed, so LED bulbs may well be a better option.

THQ are who we use for our headlights upgrades, and they work especially well with the LED bulb option now - Really well made, and lots of different variations to choose from. We can supply and supply and fit, if you are local

Thanks dubber36, the only aspect of the DIY route that worries me is the removing and resetting of the clear cover - I'm not sure I'd be able to do this part correctly so I'd rather ask the experts to do it. Plus, cost permitting, I'd like to add a better drl, possibly switchback.

Btw I also put HID's in the dipped, definitely less shadow than the led bulbs...

Last edited:
THQ are who we use for our headlights upgrades, and they work especially well with the LED bulb option now - Really well made, and lots of different variations to choose from. We can supply and supply and fit, if you are local

Thanks VanMan, do you have a website? I'll take a look. I'm not local to you, but any excuse for a trip.....

Back