Comfort again, just wonderful.

I’ve got 20”wheels on lowered Springs. Terrible drive, was thinking about buying some Davenport’s and putting Trail tyres on And going back to standard Springs or coilovers on standard wheels. But mine is a Camper so might not be suitable for standard suspension and don’t want the rear sag.
Do you have pics of your standard wheels on the lowered suspension?

I have the Koni/H&R setup from CRS lowered 50mm and run 20’s with 103 rated tyres on a T32 with 38psi all round.
Last summer I put my 17” Devonports back on for a long foreign road trip (@6k) with the 109rated van tyres and higher tyre pressures (44 I think). I immediately noticed that the ride was harder and more crashy.
I’ve only just got round to putting the 20’s back on and I’m more than happy with the level of comfort. There is definitely more road noise-but the tyres are nearly twice the width so…….
I wouldn’t go back to 17” with van tyres.
Maybe 17” with a more mpv type tyre with softer sidewall and lower pressures would do the trick.

I reckon it’s all about whether you go low profile or have larger aspect ratio.
55 is more pliable on a 103 rating than say, a 40 on 103.
109 rating must be really hard !
I might try 255’s with 45 aspect ratio, on the 19’s, 104 rating.
If they are crap compared to the 17’s, I’ll sell the lot.
The tyres that are on the 19’s at the minute are 96 rated, old and illegal winter rubbish. Not surprisingly, they are noisy.
Two have cuts in the tyre wall, one on the outside and a deep bugger on the inside !
They would have to be off the vehicle every week to check for damage.
I wonder how many folks check the inside tyre walls on a vehicle ?

I went from 17s to 245/45 on 19s that are 102 rated with STX down 65mm. Personally I think the ride is slightly harder than the OEM set up but it is certainly more comfortable as it wallows much less.

I am on an all terrain Goodrich 225/65 R17 with my T28. I can’t get any certainty on tyre pressure. Some advice of 3bar some of 4!

I’ve got 20”wheels on lowered Springs. Terrible drive, was thinking about buying some Davenport’s and putting Trail tyres on And going back to standard Springs or coilovers on standard wheels. But mine is a Camper so might not be suitable for standard suspension and don’t want the rear sag.
Do you have pics of your standard wheels on the lowered suspension?
Your problem is the standard shocks cant dampen the uprated spring and the unsprung mass of the 20's. If you get good uprated shocks the ride will be so much better.

Back