CJ Leisure

Hello, I'm thinking of using CJL. They appear more expensive than other (non VW Approved Converters) and just wanted to know if in your experience in dealing with them the additional cost is justified. What made you choose CJL?
Hope you managed to get those few things sorted.
Cheers,
Idris

Hello, I'm thinking of using CJL. They appear more expensive than other (non VW Approved Converters) and just wanted to know if in your experience in dealing with them the additional cost is justified. What made you choose CJL?
Hope you managed to get those few things sorted.
Cheers,
Idris
Have sent private message

Ok - here goes. I have been putting this off for sometime and have had plenty of time to reflect on our van works that were done by CJL. I have been privately messaged a few times asking how we got on and talking to a member of this forum at summer camp said that I should write this review so other members can gain info.

we have enjoyed the van all summer and have spent over 20 nights in it, the conversion we went for was a mountain bike conversion with a fold up bed. we had a pop top fitted and a few other extra bits and pieces and cost us over £20,000. we placed the order in February subject to seeing a van with the fold up bed fitted before confirming final quote - this took around 6 weeks before they had one I could look at. in that time we changed a few things, added a few and took some out, we were told under there terms and conditions that we were limited to the amount of times we could change the quote, I was worried about this so when I looked at the fold up bed system I spoke to Cye the boss and checked that he was ok with the amount of changes we had made and he was absolutely fine with everything.
we signed of the quote and were booked in for the works to be done in May ready for the summer. The job was estimated to take around 6 days but took over approx 12 days, a massive pain as the van is my work van too. one of the reasons for the delay was due to some cupboards they built under the bed to house the electrics, when they rung me to tell me this I asked if this was going to cost extra as it was not on the quote they said the will get back to us, when they did - surprise there were going to be extra I asked how much but they didn’t know. we had no say on whether we wanted these cupboards or not as they were fitted we only found out the day before collecting the van and wanted us to make the final payment on the van the day before we collected. I insisted that I wanted to see what they done to justify the extra £700 on our bill as you can imagine on the day off collection didn’t go well. This sadly wasn’t the only extra that had been added without confirmation.

We turned up we asked for a full demo on how everything worked and the person demoing the van struggled with a number of questions and had to get help to show him how to do things to show us. it was embarrassing we were still working out how somethings worked when we got the van home.
So went to do the financial stuff and to try to understand why they done the extra work with out quoting for it first and checking whether we wanted it or not - we were given the option that they ‘could would rip it‘ out if we didn’t pay for it and as our van was in their unit , it seemed like they would not let us have our van back until we paid in full. l regret not being stronger and should have got the police involved but I just wanted my van back and get out off there. my wife was in tears with the way we were treated, I wish I could turn back time. I would have a lot more to say we were bullied into paying for work we didn’t ask for and that is wrong in anyones book. Our treatment on collection day was appalling and we have not yet received any apology.

anyway - got the van home and have a long list of things wrong with work they have and not done. they have agreed to do the things they missed and put right there shoddy workmanship but I have lost confidence in them as a company and will not be going back and I can’t recommend them from my experience of how they operate.

If anyone wants to know any of the faults private massage me and I will list them
hope others have a better experience than my wife and me
cheers paint

Sorry to read you didn’t get what you expected but you needed a solicitor not the Police.
That said the cost of the phone call to the solicitor would have negated the extra conversion cost.
No converter is going to release a vehicle before the final payment is made, I’m sure that is in your contract.
It’s worth paying / travelling / waiting for a well established converter with good recommendations.

Back