Changing Auxiliary Belt & Tensioner

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Got my parts together.
One question for those that have done this job themselves - is it best to attack this job from above or below?
Thanks.

Think i did most from below......remember thinking i could have done with a second pair of hands when i fitted the new tensioner. Hold it in place underneath and someone to thread the bolt in from up top.

Think i did most from below......remember thinking i could have done with a second pair of hands when i fitted the new tensioner. Hold it in place underneath and someone to thread the bolt in from up top.
Thank you.
Just after I posted my question I went out and had a look at my van....
.....should have done that before I asked as it's obviously a 'from underneath' job!

Sorry to jump on your thread, mine's squealing like a pig at the mo'. Got a new belt and tensioner coming tomorrow, but not sure what size spline bit I need !
Cheers,
Stu

M12 - I'd advise fitting a new bolt too.
I actually did mine by removing both the wheel arch liner and the engine under tray.
Was worthwhile for access but also I found a large build up of crud behind the liner so good to clear that out (and know to watch for it in the future).

I actually did mine by removing both the wheel arch liner and the engine under tray.
Was worthwhile for access but also I found a large build up of crud behind the liner so good to clear that out (and know to watch for it in the future).
Brill, thanks very much bud ! I didn’t realise a new bolt was needed, probably have to order one up, and repeat the whole process to change it when it turns up

Good tip on what to look out for. I will be swapping my horn for a new one shortly, so I’ll have a rummage then.

(There you go @Stay Frosty - “horn” and “rummage” in the same sentence!)

Funnily enough I'm currently watching Death and Other Details which seems to feature a lot of both although snuffling might be more accurate than rummaging.:geek:

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Just swapped my tensioner/belt/idler pulley on my 2015 T6. The idler pulley requires a M10 spline bit, and the tensioner is held in place by a very, very difficult to access M13 Hex bolt, from the rear. The tension is released using a M16 spanner/socket on the tensioner pulley.

Just swapped my tensioner/belt/idler pulley on my 2015 T6. The idler pulley requires a M10 spline bit, and the tensioner is held in place by a very, very difficult to access M13 Hex bolt, from the rear. The tension is released using a M16 spanner/socket on the tensioner pulley.
This is if the vehicle is fitted with a euro5 engine, the later euro6 engine has a tensioner that is held on with an m12 Bolt.

Back