CarPlay2air.com wired to wireless adapter for factory CarPlay systems . . . . . ?

any one seen / used these . . ?

I use It everyday, I rate it, never crashes, where my wired connection crashed multiple times per trip no matter what cable I used.

I get maybe 1 or 2 times out of 10 where the dongle doesn’t connect, I think it’s because my phone tries to cling onto an existing WiFi connection before trying to connect to the Car2play device, so a quick plug/unplug of the device sorts it. Usually it’ll connect within a second or two of turning the ignition, then another 5 seconds or so before the CarPlay logo appears and music plays.

Slight downside for me is that I can’t use myWiFi dongle and this device at the same time. So I cancelled my ‘all you can eat’ dongle contract and now have it on my phone instead. My kids/wife/strangers now tether to my phone for data, the old WiFi dongle is redundant.

I’ve got one, works perfectly for me. Fit and forget, I just leave mine in the glovebox plugged into the USB port.

So these devices allow you to connect your iphone to your VW head unit, once the car play is activated, as if the cable was connected

The cable connection is what's been putting me off

@benp1 yes, exactly that. Once set up it connects via Bluetooth whenever you get in the car. I bought one as VW fitted my Apple CarPlay usb in the glovebox instead of the centre console

Excellent news, that's a bit of a game changer

I use the in built sat nav but having some of the other phone functions on the screen would be quite helpful

When I was looking there was a lot of negative reviews, but I believe they did a software update earlier this year which may have solved some of the connection problems.

Worth stating on here - I would stay well away fro CPlay2air. I ordered mine a while back, and when it finally arrived I got it all plugged in and seemed to be working at first. I think followed the instructions for the Firmware update (which they suggest running at the time of installation). This process completed, and I was sure not to unplug the device whilst it was updating (as I know this can cause issues if a firmware update doesn't complete properly). However, it never worked again after this. I had some back and forth with CPlay2air, who initially were helpful, but once it became apparent that the device was faulty, they said I had to return at my own costs, and that they weren't willing to cover shipping costs. They also wouldn't send out another device until I had returned the faulty one. I didn't want to risk this again, so I spoke to my bank who agreed that - given the faulty goods - the suppliers should cover costs - so they have disputed the credit card transaction and will get the ££ back for me.

I now understand why there are SO many negative reviews of CPlay2air. I would stay well away. I've also found that there are much cheaper versions of a very similar thing available.

Basically - my advice would be - "don't buy!"

Reactions: JOG
Worth stating on here - I would stay well away fro CPlay2air. I ordered mine a while back, and when it finally arrived I got it all plugged in and seemed to be working at first. I think followed the instructions for the Firmware update (which they suggest running at the time of installation). This process completed, and I was sure not to unplug the device whilst it was updating (as I know this can cause issues if a firmware update doesn't complete properly). However, it never worked again after this. I had some back and forth with CPlay2air, who initially were helpful, but once it became apparent that the device was faulty, they said I had to return at my own costs, and that they weren't willing to cover shipping costs. They also wouldn't send out another device until I had returned the faulty one. I didn't want to risk this again, so I spoke to my bank who agreed that - given the faulty goods - the suppliers should cover costs - so they have disputed the credit card transaction and will get the ££ back for me.

I now understand why there are SO many negative reviews of CPlay2air. I would stay well away. I've also found that there are much cheaper versions of a very similar thing available.

Basically - my advice would be - "don't buy!"
Thank you - I'd prefer to listen to the "real world" review of a member than general reviews on the seller's website!

My Apple lightening charger cable fried on the connector end and killed the USB /aux in the glove box. I managed to get that replaced (£56 fitted).
After that I didnt want to keep connecting to my phone or leaving the lightening charger cable plugged in after the last one fried, so I bought a CPlay2air which arrived today. From placing the order it arrived within 1 week. As soon as I had paid I spotted the trust pilot reviews :oops::cry: I wasn't happy paid via Apple Pay so little chance of a refund or cool down period . Realised its as coming from China and to return it will cost nearly 50% of the purchase price. I was secretly hoping it wouldn't arrive so I could dispute the payment.
It arrived today so following the instructions to the letter, I deleted my phone from the van, removed any active wifi and bluetooth connections (even took my Apple Watch off and put it out of range ) ensuring the van didn't recognise my phone and I had no open wifi or bluetooth connections.
I connected it, no problem pretty straight forward. I tried to do the upgrade and connected my phone via the lightening cable to the back of the device and it doesn't connect to the IP address so I presumed no upgrades are required. I shut down the van and locked it, then restarted it 15 minutes later and it takes about 15-20 to connect to CarPlay playing music from turning the key. So its actually working ok. I will see how it goes and report any issues.

I’ve been thinking about one of these but some reviews have made me nervous. Does anyone use this with apple maps and if so do you get a lag. Also how reliable is the connection? Thanks

I’ve been thinking about one of these but some reviews have made me nervous. Does anyone use this with apple maps and if so do you get a lag. Also how reliable is the connection? Thanks
Hi @Alster I've been using one of these for a few years, connects to my iPhone, maps etc faultlessly. Miles better than the expensive VW system I had in the previous van. Fit and forget

Back