Caravelle reversing camera retrofit

Crewey

T6 Pro
My Last T5 had a reversing camera, so I just had to have one on my T6. But I didn't want to pay £725 to have one fitted, when you can get a kit for €239.

Genuine Vw Reverse Camera for Discover Media & Media Composition T6 - Supply & Fit

NEW VW T6 - Rear View Camera KIT - With Guidance Lines - Retrofit -

The bit I was most concerned about was cutting the tailgate. So I made a 41x42mm template to get position right. Marked it, loads of masking tape, I used a dremel with a cutting disc and finished with a file.
IMG_3693.JPG
The hardest bit was getting the wires through the tailgate.
IMG_3702.JPG
Then a bit of wiring, earth near the rear light cluster and connection to reversing lamp.

I ran the wires to the front under the headlining and down the A pillar. Took the lower glovebox out to get the wires to the back of the stereo. Now stereo out time, the trim and air vent panel comes off really easy using a plastic wide trim tool. Four screws and the stereo is out, I was a bit concerned if I'd need a code when plugging it back in, but it was fine.

Three wires to connect, two to the blue plug (pins 6 & 12) and power I took off the main feed to the stereo via a 5amp fuse.
IMG_3723.JPG
Now coding. Control module 10, byte 0 and bit 5.
pic3.jpg
pic2.jpg
And control module 5F, byte 19 and bit 4.
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
IMG_3729.JPG

I'm about to do the same and not looking forward to the cutting.Did you remove the interior plastic trim of the tailgate to get the cable to the camera.I've had a search but can't find out how to remove the trim

Yes, you have to remove the lower bit of trim. Just unbolt the strap for closing the tailgate then pull ! I started pulling gently from one corner of the window, then worked across to the other side and then down the sides. Just be careful of the child lock switch on the lower edge, you need to take the top off it first, there is a couple of small holes, insert an opened out paper clip or something and that should release catches. (Thinking about it, not sure if all vans have that, mines a Caravelle.)
Take your time with cutting and loads of masking tape, if you slip or drop something.
Good luck.

Cheers for the reply.I've a Caravelle as well.So i need to disconnect the child lock switch and remove it from trim before full removal of trim.I presume i would have to do this with the boot release button beside the strap as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the boot release. When the trim was half off, I unclipped the button and then pushed it sideways through the hole.

Hi. Does anyone have any more info on how to access the connector for the Discover media head unit to connect the 2 pins? Do I take out the glove box?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Remove the trim around the radio including the two vents either side, I find it easier to pop the bottom first with a plastic trim tool but if its never been out before the clips can be tight
This reveals the four torx screws holding the radio in, after these are out the radio pulls forward and you can get to the plug on the back

Ok great. So like the T5 then. And to route the wires from the a post to the radio do I take out the lower glove box?
Cheers

You can take out the cup holder and outside air vent and feed it through but if you want to fix the cable you can drop the glovebox

Thanks for the guide. In the process of fitting. Didn’t like the cutting part, cut half outside the van and half in.

Off to wire it in today...

This black wire won’t push into the connector.

This was suppose to be a quick job :(

CD6C65F7-77E8-40CF-B18C-B38DC02A7361.jpeg

Back