Car stick

BiTurbo

Heavy Plant Inspector
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've purchased a data sim, but am now at my wits end need to get it online to register the sim.
Help!

You need to plug the stick into a windows PC and get it going then transfer it to the Van.

@Loz

Do you have more info on this? I have a carstick as I was under the impression it would work with the composition media unit, but it doesn't. There is no menu options to set it up. Didn't consider using a PC. Is there some specific software that can do this? Worth a try before I finally give up and eBay it!

I think it only works on the Discover media unit.
Have a read of this document (normally reserved for VIP members ;) )

Attachments

• SSP__562__Infotainment_and_Car-Net_in_T6_2016-T6F.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
Got it sorted, it was all down to activating the SIM card...tried using a laptop but no drivers available for the stick.

Are they any good these car sticks ?
or could I just set my phone to personal hotspot and use that as get 10gb of data a month

Just got my Huewai car wifi with EE data SIM card sorted ....easy as pie (got my son to do it)...but seriously, put the sim into the thingy and turned it on, opened laptop in car and logged on as you would in a strangers house, and hay presto- the dongle had its passcode on the dongle itself. Managed to sort my iPad on my own. Can now connect up to 10 things in the van.

Just got my Huewai car wifi with EE data SIM card sorted ....easy as pie (got my son to do it)...but seriously, put the sim into the thingy and turned it on, opened laptop in car and logged on as you would in a strangers house, and hay presto- the dongle had its passcode on the dongle itself. Managed to sort my iPad on my own. Can now connect up to 10 things in the van.
Good News:thumbsup:, do you know if it supports "4G", because the VW car stick is only "3G", I think the car stick talks about using the external aerial to get a better signal, does yours do this?, what is the signal strength like?

Just got my Huewai car wifi with EE data SIM card sorted ....easy as pie (got my son to do it)...

Plugged into the van?? Must be same hardware as the VW stick for the built in drivers to work :) (never had balls to dismantle £80 dongle to determine what chipset it was!)

Can you share the model number for the Huewai so others can buy one of those instead of the official hardware?

I purchased a mobile wi-fi router and a PAYG data sim (as per the links below).

I have the comfort dash, so I leave it plugged into the USB slot in the glove box and every time I start the van it connects to the discovery nav head unit and creates a wi-fi network in the van. The router also has a little slot for a mini SD card, so you can still use the USB port for storage of music or photos etc.

If you don't have the discovery nav you can still just use the mini wi-fi router to create a network without having to go through the head unit.

They are little stand alone wi-fi units that use 3g or 4g and can create a 2.5GHz of 5.0 GHz network. It would be as simple as turning on the unit and connecting a device to it with the supplied password (on the back of the router). It is just as simple as connecting up at home.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PFXFWTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah so it's just a wifi hotspot, using the van for power. You could plug it in to a battery and it'd serve the same function.

Am not sure what the car stick offers over a separate hotspot e.g. Dunno if online routing / traffic only works with carstick...

You can use the wifi hotspot function on an iPhone (and prob others) to get the same functions as that wifi router

You can use the wifi hotspot function on an iPhone (and prob others) to get the same functions as that wifi router

It's currently a PITA to enable the hotspot on an iPhone, so certainly not as convenient :)

I'm curious as to whether there are functional differences between using a hotspot and using a car stick, though.

It's currently a PITA to enable the hotspot on an iPhone, so certainly not as convenient :)

I'm curious as to whether there are functional differences between using a hotspot and using a car stick, though.

Really? What doesn't work for you? I use it quite often and never had a problem (6S on Vodafone)

Really? What doesn't work for you? I use it quite often and never had a problem (6S on Vodafone)

Enabling it. Unlock phone, open settings, open personal hotspot tab (if it hasn't disabled itself, otherwise go into mobile data then personal hotspot tab & re enable), then wait for connection to kick in.

Should be a swipe up from command centre, which I believe is how the new version of IOS has it :)

Enabling it. Unlock phone, open settings, open personal hotspot tab (if it hasn't disabled itself, otherwise go into mobile data then personal hotspot tab & re enable), then wait for connection to kick in.

Should be a swipe up from command centre, which I believe is how the new version of IOS has it :)
Ah ok, I'm not turning it on and off a lot and mine has never disabled itself. I can see it would be fiddly in that case, I just don't believe in buying 2 things when one will do

Ah ok, I'm not turning it on and off a lot and mine has never disabled itself. I can see it would be fiddly in that case, I just don't believe in buying 2 things when one will do

I use mine every day and never disable it on the phone. Sometimes it disables itself (even while driving, which makes fiddly process to re-enable even worse), but main problem is I can't get in to the car, start the engine, and have the wifi hotspot automatically available for the stereo to connect to. I suspect it's because my phone is connected to the home wifi when I start the car and for whatever reason it doesn't automatically go in to hotspot mode when this disconnects...

I have to manually reconnect iton my phone every time i use it (iP 6S) my wifes always auto connects (iP 5S) ???????

I got a Carstick a few weeks back, I also got a Virgin sim only deal 100gb a month for £20! (no longer available I don't think).

There was some uncertainty about whether you can tether the Virgin sim, but I've had 3 devices at once connected to it and had no connection issues, but it is painfully slow for browsing and streaming is almost impossible.

So reading up on the Carstick and it looks like it's a 3g modem (UMTS?), there's a 4g (LTE?) version, but firstly I don't know if the 4g stick works in a T6 and secondly it's quite expensive (£125+).

I finally decided to go down this route instead - https://goo.gl/aCLxqw

So using the same sim card in the same van in the same spot I've got this difference in speed -
2018-03-13 16.08.43.png

2018-03-13 17.13.50.png

I've tried various servers, always the same speed results, crap on Carstick and great on the Huawei.

The Discover Media happily connects to the Huawei modem, seems to be getting all the correct traffic updates, CarPlay is streaming music etc.

Moral of the story appears to be the CarStick is crap and to avoid.

Back