Can I run the night-heater whilst in motion?

Parvus

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Hopefully not a stupid Q, but I recently had a diesel heater installed and have been wondering...

Is it okay to drive with the heater running? For example, I often preheat the van before a drive locally for a walk and would be nice to know if I need to turn it off then back on when I arrive or can just leave it running during these short drives.

Are they designed to work when in motion or strictly stationary?

For info, it’s an Eberspacher and installed externally.

Thanks

There is no such thing as a "stupid question" it's only stupid if you don't ask. :cool:

When we had our motorhome I used it all the time whilst driving. Great when we arrived at the location and the rear of the motorhome was warm and toasty. It was a Eberspacher.

I don’t know it it allows use when in motion, but I would be very wary of doing so. I blip the heater remote in the morning to defrost the van (especially as I don’t have a heated windscreen!)

Perfectly acceptable, legal and safe to use whilst in motion ( Only need to switch off for fuel stations). Switched mine on at 0930 this morning to defrost, drove to the woods for dog walking, left the heater running, checked to see if it had timed out whilst I was away from the van - it had so I restarted it, finished the dog walking and went back to a warm van.

Ambulances run with their heaters on all the time. Shouldn’t be a problem

I was until I ran out of LPG. Looks like a lot of garages are doing away with their LPG pumps :eek:

I was until I ran out of LPG. Looks like a lot of garages are doing away with their LPG pumps :eek:
I’ve not encountered that yet - and I have an LPG conversion on my TSI.
I probably missed a trick when I had a petrol Webasto heater installed, and not an LPG one though...

Back