Can I go from 245/45/19 to 245/40/19

Mavis628

T6 Pro
Hi guys need three I have as per title 245/45/19 wondering could I go 40s instead and what would benefit be if any?

Personally I think they are too small. Not only from the gearing but also the sidewall will be very small making it quite harsh to drive.

Sorry forgot to say you could look at 255/40/19 as would be better on overall size but still a smallish sidewall. Sometimes sizing can be hard to find with the correct load rating though. I have found the 245/45/19 a happy compromise and only a little bigger than standard.

255-45-19's here. Just the right amount of rim protection for the Canteras and a decent amount of sidewall for comfort. It is a van after all, I think they need a bit of tyre for it to still look workmanlike, not a wannabe sports car.

Hi guys
I wanna change my Devonports on mine and undecided as to which size to go for, been told at a vw garage be careful with 20’s with rubbing snd they advised me 19 rims!! I wanted 20’s, got my eye on some but been put off, it’s a 204 4 motion lwb, (remapped) so any advise guys also I use it as a work vehicle so still need a bit of comfort on my motorway journeys, cheers all

Hi guys
I wanna change my Devonports on mine and undecided as to which size to go for, been told at a vw garage be careful with 20’s with rubbing snd they advised me 19 rims!! I wanted 20’s, got my eye on some but been put off, it’s a 204 4 motion lwb, (remapped) so any advise guys also I use it as a work vehicle so still need a bit of comfort on my motorway journeys, cheers all

The size of the wheel doesn't dictate if it will rub or not, in fact I've seen 21s sit perfectly fine on a T5, although they are a little too big for my taste. It's the offset, tyre sizes and how low you are that will cause rubbing if you don't do your research first.
Bare in mind that a 20 is never going to be as comfortable as a 17" Port, but that's obvious.
The best thing to do is put a link to the wheels you like in 20" with the specs and someone will tell you in they will fit or not.

I've run 17-18-19 and 20" wheels and none of mine had any major issues. My 20s were 10" all round, ET35 and they sat lovely, but then I did run a stretched tyre, which might not be to everyone's taste.

Back