Campsites - The hidden gems

Parvus

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

I'm currently looking for some recommendations in Lake District or alternative coastal areas for short breaks in 2021. I've been trawling the internet and see lots of the larger sites and obvious 'Top 10 Campsite <insert location here>' and really looking for the alternatives people have discovered and would recommend on their travels, perhaps even local places they often use, nice pubs, good food and base to enjoy the surrounding area, cycling, walking etc...

I'm based in Wiltshire and just starting out with my Vanlife, these are a couple of nice options I've discovered within 30 minute drives:
- The Golden Swann - Nice Pub, Campervan hook-ups, options for walks and near the canals (Log in to Facebook)
- Blacklands lakes - Nice spot with a couple of small fishing lakes to entertain the kids (Blackland Lakes - Fantastic Camping, Fishing and Leisure Facilities in Calne, Wiltshire, England)
- Ye Olde Swan - Camping / Glamping, on the river Thames, nice pub and location (Home - Ye Olde Swan)

A fan of the smaller locations, good local businesses and obviously a nice pint :)

Matt

Hi,

I'm currently looking for some recommendations in Lake District or alternative coastal areas for short breaks in 2021. I've been trawling the internet and see lots of the larger sites and obvious 'Top 10 Campsite <insert location here>' and really looking for the alternatives people have discovered and would recommend on their travels, perhaps even local places they often use, nice pubs, good food and base to enjoy the surrounding area, cycling, walking etc...

I'm based in Wiltshire and just starting out with my Vanlife, these are a couple of nice options I've discovered within 30 minute drives:
- The Golden Swann - Nice Pub, Campervan hook-ups, options for walks and near the canals (Log in to Facebook)
- Blacklands lakes - Nice spot with a couple of small fishing lakes to entertain the kids (Blackland Lakes - Fantastic Camping, Fishing and Leisure Facilities in Calne, Wiltshire, England)
- Ye Olde Swan - Camping / Glamping, on the river Thames, nice pub and location (Home - Ye Olde Swan)

A fan of the smaller locations, good local businesses and obviously a nice pint :)

Matt
Hi Matt,

We stayed at a small site in the lakes last summer (Coalbeck caravan park) only about 6 pitches from memory, hard standing and grass. Interesting wildlife park just down the road and a very characterful site owner. No local pub but the lakes gin distillery is just up the road.
Fairly local to you in Somerset is the Tuckers grave inn, a truly unique gem of a pub, no bar just barrels in the window and a campsite in the back field.

Convenient free overnight stop in car park across the road and the beer slides down easy.
Good views the following morning while nursing what felt like a skull fracture, must have been the effect of drinking at altitude.

Hi Matt,

We stayed at a small site in the lakes last summer (Coalbeck caravan park) only about 6 pitches from memory, hard standing and grass. Interesting wildlife park just down the road and a very characterful site owner. No local pub but the lakes gin distillery is just up the road.
Fairly local to you in Somerset is the Tuckers grave inn, a truly unique gem of a pub, no bar just barrels in the window and a campsite in the back field.
We did Tucker's Grave Inn last year, I can remember the first 2 or 3 pints of the cider then I can't remember anything else. Quirky place but great fun.

We stayed a night at the old swan on the Thames last year. I thought it was great with a pub next door and SUP and kayaks for hire but the pub wasn’t probably open because of covid and the site had festival style portaloo loos and showers which were in a right state after one night. Very rule free camping meant music and shouting into the night. A couple had a massive argument and abandoned their tent and equipment in the middle of the night and to top it off my son was violently ill everywhere. I thought it was a great night but the wife won’t go back :(

They have yearly dubs at the bridge vw weekender there too which I think they were planning for last week in May.
Here is the view from the back of the van7A47618A-196A-4563-9DAD-25CD37DA9432.jpeg

Heres a couple to note from my neck of the woods so to speak.....stayed at them both but a fair while ago now...great locations!

Great coastal and forest walks/tracks with 'The Ship' nearby.

Great forest walks and tracks with the excellent 'Viking Trail' 10 mile MTB track. :cool:

Back