California or Conversion

BusDubDriver

Buying our first campervan next year with a budget of 65-70k. Looked at lots of conversion companies like CamperKing , HighLife, Moor Lake and Denby. Seen loads of great vans with great spec. However had a look at a local Road Surfers and was impressed with Californias.

We will be doing mainly long weekend trips and 6 day breaks with the odd 2 wk tour thrown in. It will just be me and partner using van.

Any thoughts or suggestions which offers best quality and value for money.

You can get a Kombi converted to a better spec’ and cheaper than a California, however some of those you mentioned above don’t fit that category.
VW don’t do insulation and sound deadening.

You can get a Kombi converted to a better spec’ and cheaper than a California, however some of those you mentioned above don’t fit that category.
VW don’t do insulation and sound deadening.

I agree, I think it’s certainly possible to do better than a California and get something tailored to your needs. However, you could also do a whole lot worse if you don’t put the research in so if a California fits your needs I’d definitely consider it.

Go for a conversion and a LWB base vehicle, you will love the extra space that version gives. I've been a high roof fan for many years and never found the extra height a problem and much quieter and warmer than a pop-top.
My fuel consumption with the current 140bhp T6 (yes it's an early T6 not the 150bhp version with adblue etc. but still LEZ compliant) is working out at a fraction under 35mpg over its 73000mile lifetime.
These give you an idea of the space available...
1684495852255.png
1684495870527.png

Personally, I'd go for a custom conversion every time. Only go for the Cali if the guy sat at his desk in Wolfsburg has somehow, miraculously anticipated the setup that perfectly matches your needs. ;)

Back