Buying advice for used 102bhp Shuttle

VR46

VIP Member
Hello everyone! Our family is about to gain 2 new members as my fiancee is 2 weeks away from having our twins. With the two we already have, we need the room and flexibility of a Shuttle.
I've found a well priced 2017 102bhp with 38k on it that is in great condition all round, including leather seats (VW), but I wondered what else I might need to be aware of before taking the plunge.
I understand that everyone will have their own opinion of what power and gearbox to go for, and for me it's either this one with the 5 speed box, or the 150 worh 6 gears. We intend to get a Pendle remap if it's a 102, and likely still if it's the 150.
Our long term plan is to keep this vehicle for many years and look to convert to a camper in a few years as that's the ultimate end use. But for now I would just like to know what you might advise me to look out for when buying used. The one I've seen is with a major UK dealer network and so likely not a cut and shut job!
Thanks in advance for any advice and input you might have.

I bought a 2017 Shuttle in February. What I was looking for was a LWB, SE, 3 seats in the front, 150bhp w 6sp. It is worth looking at a VW Shuttle Brochure to see the various specs and options for the shuttle.

I’ve got a Shuttle 150ps with the 6 speed box and I’m very pleased with it. You will notice trading up from a car that even with the 150 engine that you need to change down on some motorway hills, I can only imagine this is much more frequent with the 102 engine.

if you’re thinking of getting a remap on a 150 there’s no point even thinking about a 102 engine. There are far fewer Shuttles with the 150 when I was searching for one at the end of last year but I would hold out for one

If you read around this forum you will see that some companies don’t even offer a remap on a 102 engine because of concerns about cooking the turbo and also potential damage to the 5 speed box which cannot cope with the extra torque. I have no idea if those reports are true but it would be enough to put me off the 102 engine if I had a remap on my mind.

Hello everyone! Our family is about to gain 2 new members as my fiancee is 2 weeks away from having our twins. With the two we already have, we need the room and flexibility of a Shuttle.
I've found a well priced 2017 102bhp with 38k on it that is in great condition all round, including leather seats (VW), but I wondered what else I might need to be aware of before taking the plunge.
I understand that everyone will have their own opinion of what power and gearbox to go for, and for me it's either this one with the 5 speed box, or the 150 worh 6 gears. We intend to get a Pendle remap if it's a 102, and likely still if it's the 150.
Our long term plan is to keep this vehicle for many years and look to convert to a camper in a few years as that's the ultimate end use. But for now I would just like to know what you might advise me to look out for when buying used. The one I've seen is with a major UK dealer network and so likely not a cut and shut job!
Thanks in advance for any advice and input you might have.
This sounds all very familiar!...our little fella is now 11 weeks old, i bought the T6 (mine is a converted panel van) to give us a multi functional vehicle...we can carry 6 people, stick a assembled pushchair in and still have room for the dog and some shopping. i got a 102 and haven't found it under powered...the way i look at it is it is a van, not a race car, it keeps up with traffic fine, gets good MPG etc....best bet would be to go for a drive in it.

if you’re thinking of getting a remap on a 150 there’s no point even thinking about a 102 engine. There are far fewer Shuttles with the 150

A reason to get a 102 and remap right there....there are more about, thus less in demand, thus cheaper.

If you read around this forum you will see that some companies don’t even offer a remap on a 102 engine because of concerns about cooking the turbo and also potential damage to the 5 speed box which cannot cope with the extra torque. I have no idea if those reports are true but it would be enough to put me off the 102 engine if I had a remap on my mind.

The problem with some maps relate to how the torque is delivered (a lot at once can damage the box) and at what temperature they let the turbo run at (some remappers ran them too hot, causing the turbos to fail)

Pendle Performance seems to be the mappers that are on top of this, if your interested in the details of it all...this vid tells you all about the issues and how their map mitigates them

This sounds all very familiar!...our little fella is now 11 weeks old, i bought the T6 (mine is a converted panel van) to give us a multi functional vehicle...we can carry 6 people, stick a assembled pushchair in and still have room for the dog and some shopping. i got a 102 and haven't found it under powered...the way i look at it is it is a van, not a race car, it keeps up with traffic fine, gets good MPG etc....best bet would be to go for a drive in it.

A reason to get a 102 and remap right there....there are more about, thus less in demand, thus cheaper.

The problem with some maps relate to how the torque is delivered (a lot at once can damage the box) and at what temperature they let the turbo run at (some remappers ran them too hot, causing the turbos to fail)

Pendle Performance seems to be the mappers that are on top of this, if your interested in the details of it all...this vid tells you all about the issues and how their map mitigates them
Thanks for the info and video link! I had read that Pendle were the best place to get the remap as they don't necessarily squeeze everything out of the engine in order to boast huge figures. They seem to have found a real world solution that doesn't stress the 5 speed box and clutch assembly too.
Thank you again.

My Shuttles long since been converted to a camper. Before conversion I didn't have any issue insuring a 9 seater through Privilege. However there are a few stories recently about insurance companies being a bit funny regarding the 9 seater. Wrongly classifying it as a minibus. 9 seater is one passenger seat short of being a minibus. (Drivers seat isn't a passenger seat). Just because of this, I'd advise getting insurance sorted and ready to go first, before purchase. Aircon is a must. 3 zone climate control a real bonus. Try find one with rear parking sensors, although 40 quid will buy you a rear parking camera to add on. Cruise control, fog lights, Multi function steering wheel, can all be retrofitted if missing from base vehicle.

Back