Bulb fail warning light lit but no bulbs out

Morrispd

VIP Member
67 plate with led rears. So I've had an ongoing issue with this for about 3 years. At first service one of the DTRLs was out, I assumed a bulb but main dealer said it was a wiring fault. This was eventually fixed but intermittent fail lamp showing on the dash ever since. I have a tow bar but lamp showing seems to have no common reason for being on. I leave lights on auto and sometimes I start the van and its on, others not. Its been in multiple times now and this final time has had a specific VW fix to a known problem (dealer bullcrap?). All supposedly fixed and I turn the key and the warning light comes on. Dealer is clueless, am awaiting a call tomorrow to discuss, they won't ring, vindis (to be avoided at all cost) in Northampton, Any ideas? I need to replace a rear lamp as its been cracked but didn't want to get into repinning for 6.1 leds as the dealer won't want to know after that. TIA.

Have they replaced any wiring? Or any other hardware such as the light itself?

67 plate with led rears.
Do you have LED number plate lights? I wonder if these aren’t coded and are triggering the light. See this thread (I presume yours isn’t a tailgate conversion but it may still be the same issue)
‘Light out’ on dash after fitting LED rears
That or the towbar wiring…

Just re-read this. The intermittency puzzles me.
Who installed the tow-bar?
Is the DRL sorted?

Last edited:
H7 headlights ?
DRLs on H7 were a known problem for a while for burning out the lamp holder, wonder if you have a loose connection/high resistance on one of them giving sporadic issues ?
A fault scan may give you a clue which lamp is being blamed for the light ?

It's an option however if it's still a warranty claim (maybe if they haven't resolved the issue from when the vehicle was still under warranty) they need to fix it. Also it'll only hide the underlying issue. However it is an option.

Has anyone before (if you got it second hand) or have you changed any of the bulbs to LED? as even though you have LED rears I think the reverse light might be still halogen (I know it doesn't make sense as VW call them LED rears when they aren't full LED, but oh well) plenty of people therefore swap the reverse bulb to an LED. if it isnt canbus compatable this could be throwing it out?

or if any of the front bulbs have been changed to non canbus LEDs?

Yes. LED drl bulbs in my replacement H7's gave the error. If I switched my lights to full beam before turning the ignition on I could bypass the error....

Do you have LED number plate lights? I wonder if these aren’t coded and are triggering the light. See this thread (I presume yours isn’t a tailgate conversion but it may still be the same issue)
‘Light out’ on dash after fitting LED rears
That or the towbar wiring…

Just re-read this. The intermittency puzzles me.
Who installed the tow-bar?
Is the DRL sorted?
I installed the towbar and a towbar company coded it. They should have checked this as the start of the fault was unknown due to original drl bulb out issue. DRLs OK now. The bulb out indicator is on sometimes, off others when I key on. I can't figure out conditions when it's on but gut feeling is its something to do with the auto lights position and sensor that turns them on and off when dark

H7 headlights ?
DRLs on H7 were a known problem for a while for burning out the lamp holder, wonder if you have a loose connection/high resistance on one of them giving sporadic issues ?
A fault scan may give you a clue which lamp is being blamed for the light ?
H7 lights? They are non LED, generic code reader shows nothing and I assume DRL fix is what I've had done.

Has anyone before (if you got it second hand) or have you changed any of the bulbs to LED? as even though you have LED rears I think the reverse light might be still halogen (I know it doesn't make sense as VW call them LED rears when they aren't full LED, but oh well) plenty of people therefore swap the reverse bulb to an LED. if it isnt canbus compatable this could be throwing it out?

or if any of the front bulbs have been changed to non canbus LEDs?
I've never changed a bulb and it was a main dealer demonstrator before me

Main dealer is going to book it in for a week so they can talk to vw whilst they have the van (or leave it in the car park for 6 days before washing and returning it). In the mean time is there anything anyone suggests to try to find the cause, eg leave lights in manual etc?

Did they get to the bottom of this? I seem to have the same issue. 66 plate with all original lights.

It's in at the moment, the rear lights are damaged and let in water, they are blaming this so I've paid to have them fit some other units temporarily as I want this sorted before I upgrade to 6.1 lights. Will let you know

or water / condensation in your tow bar plug...

i'v just traced a transit a loss of power to a trailer lamp water in the plug for a friend the spring cap was useless

They had it a week, rang on the last day to say its the rear lights as damaged, I said swap them to confirm (115 labor) they said its not them and the only item they can blame it on is the tow bar, its not a west-facing one but it is OEM plug in type, not the cutting wire connector type. I've given up to be honest, Vindis are hopeles wankers, I'm just going to get the bulb turned off as I assume I need to disconnect towbar harness and get the coding removed?

Yes. LED drl bulbs in my replacement H7's gave the error. If I switched my lights to full beam before turning the ignition on I could bypass the error....
I have exactly what you describe on mine, did you remedy this ?

Back