Build quality

Scruffy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Build quality? What do you all think? Particularly previous T5 owners.

I myself am very disappointed in the amount of squeaks and rattles from the cab area, and infact it's going in tomorrow for a vibration in the engine compartment investigating. Maybe it's just a fact of life, but our new VW Touran wasn't a patch build wise on the previous model. They both have all the bells and whistles, but you can clearly see where a bit has been shaved of here and another saving there, etc etc. Also my A/C is nowhere near as cold as my mates T5.1! Smaller, cheaper, lighter compressor? Hmm, probably.

Good MPG though......so........Hmmmm.

Squeaky drivers seat, annoying crackling from right hand side dash vent which goes away when you have your hand on top of the steering wheel. Seats seam very cheap compared to the T5.

Mines like driving a Bentley . You guys will have to remember it's a van . Try two stage sound deadening and you'll think your in a different van . Bought mine fully sound insulated and it's perfect , well worth the extra cost and also the audio sounds sounds miles better . Give Ablsolute audio a call .

I would have to agree with you a bit, when stripping mine i was quite surprised to find a few clips missing here and there on pillars and posts etc
When i lifted the floor around front seats i found a few of the missing ones squashed underneath, it seemed like they were dropped at factory during construction and no one bothered to pick them up and fit them, nothing major really but a bit disappointing

I would agree with @Chriswhit also, sound proofing etc makes a great difference

my loner with 2 miles showing when i collected it has the screws missing that hold the top of the glove box door and the crap rubber trim on he edge of the side door window was flapping about in the wind as i drove it home.

i will be giving mine a good inspection before i take it home i think (IF IT EVER TURNS UP THAT IS ! )

My trim was flapping a couple of days after. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there, never seen them on a T5.

Everyone keeps on about how to make there van quieter and sound system better . It's all about stopping the external ambient noise and resonance of body panels .
Don't spend your money on a better sound system and moaning about rattles and vibrations until you've fully sound coated your van . Give me a PM or call and see for yourselves what a differance it makes . I have 25 years in the audio and acoustic industry . Your all welcome to see the differance and listen to my van .

Not noticed any real issues with build quality but I do agree with the poor AC though.

I had two Tourans previously. A 57 plate and a 63 plate. Both top of the range. The 63 plate was rubbish in comparison, particularly paint finish etc. My T6 Kombi is my first, so only have a T5.1 demo for 24 hrs to compare. Can't fault it. Had it since December. Feels solid, drives well. Very pleased overall. Filled mine with SilentCoat and DodoMat - nice and quiet inside. Whole family love it and get lots of compliments. Family bus, hobby, mid life crisis all in one.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@HHO , glad you had the sence to use silent coat . Great product and really makes the differance , looks like you've done a nice job . Have you done the front doors and added the exta door seals .

Thanks @Chriswhit - door seals added as factory £25 option. I've only SilentCoated the inner skins of the front doors so far to get rid of a few vibrations. Still to do a front door speaker upgrade so will DodoMat those areas fully at the same time.

I noticed the paint is very thin on the roof channels near the front window. I can see the primer.

Does anyone else have this?

20160807_160551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After getting my lovingly donated door dent removed this week by a paintless dent repair guy i noticed a run in the paint underneath the mid line ridge that runs under windows, thought it was a bit odd so spoke to a VAG bodyshop boss and he confirmed that paintwork is all original factory, pretty poor i think that was never noticed by factory or PDC or me if im honest

@Chriswhit Mine is (when it turns up) a work van and does carry stuff. Is it still worth soundproofing the rear area or just the cab?

Better overall IMO; better paint, more solid inside. But a few niggles; rattly awning, intermittent non working electric sliding door latch. Nothing serious.

Engine is way more refined, it's very quiet inside, roof is actually waterproof when up, wheels are better finished.

@rhinoman are you having a bulkhead and if so It would defanatly be worth sound proofing the doors and door cards.
The cab roof and floors would also be worth doing . If you've got a bulkhead then I would put some some sound proof sheets on the load side of the bulkhead .

@rhinoman are you having a bulkhead and if so It would defanatly be worth sound proofing the doors and door cards.
The cab roof and floors would also be worth doing . If you've got a bulkhead then I would put some some sound proof sheets on the load side of the bulkhead .
Yes, having a bulkhead, too much gear in the back not to, but I would like it to be as nice a place to be as possible so I'll do as you suggest thanks.

Back