Broken key

Nq_Dude

Not sure if this is a common fault but my key has broken. Has anyone got any part numbers for key parts?
C24D30C5-89C8-45CA-A583-D66D0A643619.jpeg

I think a new key is needed and needs to be paired to your van

The same happened to one of mine a while back, I tried the same and bought a cheapy case of eBay but it didn’t quite fit, the blade was a slightly different thickness and wouldn’t fit all the way into the slot

Happy Friday everyone,

One of our keys has broken. The pin has come out (happened at night outdoors so it’s lost) and the key has now come away from the flip-section on the fob.
I’ve called VW and AA and both say they cannot fix the key have to create a new key and programme at a cost of around £260-£290
Is this right or is there a way to try and get a new fob unit and do it myself?
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

The blade on our Polo key has just snapped. From what I can make out, the case of the key breaks when you take it apart of remove the blade, so I can't just fit a new blade. Various places on line sell blank keys with electronics that will need to be programmed for around £20. In the pictures, they appear to be unassembled. My plan is to transfer the electronics from my old key into the new shell, then just get the new blade cut at a key shop.

Dont buy the cheap ebay crap, mine broke and the pin came out so i bought a blank thinking i could transfer but the cheapo ones are a different size and the VW blade doesnt fit in them

Last edited:
There should be a cheaper way to fix the problem. A local locksmith might give you a hand with this.

In the end Timpsons provided a new shell with a blade and swapped the gubbins out of the old key for £40. The 'new' key is now the spare.

Bear in mind that this was a regular VW 3 button key. Whether this would be the case if I ever needed a 5 button key for the 'velle, I'm not sure. I don't thinks that's likely tho' as it came with 4 keys.

There should be a cheaper way to fix the problem. A local locksmith might give you a hand with this.
I have read great reviews about locksmith holland park. I'm more than sure they will get you new pair of keys, and reprogram the system at a lower price than any other company. The price of £260-£290 is charged by locksmiths who work individually, not for an LTD. I agree, £300 for changing the fob and providing the client with new keys is way too much.
Let's hope you will make the right decision.

Back