BM woe

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Firstly I just noticed a nasty scuff on our M135i wheel. No idea how it got there and no marks at all on the adjacent tyre (???).

Then I had a tragic valuation from my dealer (I wondered about changing it to the new M140i) and WBAC.
£16500; it's less than three years old and on 32k miles. It cost just shy of £30k new.

Boo hoo. I think we'll just keep it; does the job it's intended for very well. Just hope nothing breaks spectacularly.

Off to get wheel refurb quotes then cry a little.

I feel your pain @Polzeylad , I learnt the hard way too, but when I got the latest motor (535 msport) I made sure I took the alloy wheel and tyre insurance £250 for 3 years cover .
Covers 10 alloy claims ( thanks to wife)
And also up to 8 tyres ( and 19" run flats aren't cheap)
Best £250 I've ever spent.....

Hmmm; that's not bad.
I think the reason I'm so annoyed is that I'm SO careful. Either the missus did it (she is careful too though) or its happened without my knowing.
Darn car has several light scuffs, a mystery bonnet dent (albeit very small) and more despite me treating it as well as humanly possible.
This is only the second wheel kerb I've ever had. And one was caused by a tyre fitter.

It's £68 for a professional refurb (they do a great job) so I might just do that.

Then get the car machine polished.

I wish I didn't care so much!

We care, because they cost us a small fortune, and we appreciate what we have....
It's not a bad thing....:thumbsup:

Scrubbed up the van, BM and Subaru (which was foul!); the two newer ones (the Subaru is being used!) still look good IMO.

I'm going to try and touch up the wheel; it's very shallow and only really ferric grey paint that's come off.

image_zpsgxkq3xgb.jpe

Yes I saw that in pic, very nice contrast. They do make some very good looking motors, my last 3 have all been 5 series, just can't fault them ( however these days only use it to fill it up and get it cleaned for better half !!!! ) o_O
Have you got touch up pen for wheel ?

I've ordered one; fingers crossed it works.
I want to get the car machine polished too but the wife is grumbling,

Firstly I just noticed a nasty scuff on our M135i wheel. No idea how it got there and no marks at all on the adjacent tyre (???).

Then I had a tragic valuation from my dealer (I wondered about changing it to the new M140i) and WBAC.
£16500; it's less than three years old and on 32k miles. It cost just shy of £30k new.

Boo hoo. I think we'll just keep it; does the job it's intended for very well. Just hope nothing breaks spectacularly.

Off to get wheel refurb quotes then cry a little.
Not the end of the world mate, you know it's always worth a lot more than they offer you, VW offered me £8.5k for my XC90 Volvo against the new van, sold it privately at the weekend for 14k!

A month of warranty left and the alternator has gone. Does BMW have one in the UK? Nope. 10 days on order from Germany...
In the meantime I have a 218d Active Tourer - yes that's a FRONT wheel drive people carrier.... Luckily it's covered in advertising so clearly not mine... On the upside the kids like the rear seats (it has 7) and it's the same colour as the van...

I'm onto BMW UK who have been a bit useless and the dealer who are trying their best - basically decided we've had enough issues to make a bit of a fuss. I'm gunning for a free warranty extension (which we got on our very troublesome T5.1 California) or large chunk off an M140i - or something similar. So far BMW UK is trying to blame the dealer for everything - not very professional IMO. I've replied (phone is on hold forever) rather curtly to the idiotic customer "service" lady after she said she won't do anything about it. We shall see how it progresses. Just a bit worrying having something like this go on a car with a rather sophisticated, big engine. Not sure quite how the dealership relationship goes - if they have to do BMWs bidding I might not get far, if they are able to put pressure on them, I might get somewhere. We shall see - this is the fifth time it's needed to go in for an issue or recall. Still like the car a lot though.

Last edited:
Ouch, like everyone else I feel your pain there, I took a big hit when I got rid of my Vitara but that was four years old. The M140i looks tasty though my preference would be the coupe version :thumbsup:

Ouch, like everyone else I feel your pain there, I took a big hit when I got rid of my Vitara but that was four years old. The M140i looks tasty though my preference would be the coupe version :thumbsup:
Like tarted up vans, I have a real thing against "faux coupes" like the 2 and 4 series - I've had a 4 series as a courtesy car and the boot and lack of rear doors was a complete PITA with kids. They are just a really annoying shape. I like hatchbacks and estates or "proper" sports car shapes but trying to do both doesn't work for me at all. I also like cars subtle - we got ours in grey to "hide" the M performance bits (grey mirrors, wheels, black exhausts, etc) - it looks pretty standard to anyone who isn't in the know. It then embarrasses properly quick cars while coming home from doing the shopping. :D

Why not go for a new S3?

Had this deal through earlier, really tempting and its got LED lights!!

A black edition S Tronic Sport back for £250 per month is a interesting prospect!

Untitled.png

Not keen on fast Audis - four pot engine, don't really like Haldex AWD in a performance car (I prefer RWD) and those quad exhausts make me cry. Decent enough cars but not my thing - we also only buy cash. We're allergic to both mods and any sort of financing...
The M140i also has LED lights. Some early reports have claimed the xenons we have are actually brighter. But with 335bhp and almost 370lbs-ft (ours is 320bhp/335lbs-ft), it's a damned quick machine. Almost dipping under 10s to 100 (our is just under 11)!

Not keen on fast Audis - four pot engine, don't really like Haldex AWD in a performance car (I prefer RWD) and those quad exhausts make me cry. Decent enough cars but not my thing - we also only buy cash. We're allergic to both mods and any sort of financing...
The M140i also has LED lights. Some early reports have claimed the xenons we have are actually brighter. But with 335bhp and almost 370lbs-ft (ours is 320bhp/335lbs-ft), it's a damned quick machine. Almost
dipping under 10s to 100 (our is just under 11)!

A 6 pot BM is always going to sound better than a 4pot, they just don't spit or burble in the same way. I'm a bit deprived never had a fast RWD (closest is the E220 we have now but thats warm at best) but whats the issue with Haldex AWD?

Im with you on financing to a point but our E Class we couldn't have brought it cheeper and the lease was silly silly cheep and the numbers stacked up in our favour. Same with the pickup my dad uses, was going to cost us just under £30k and the lease over 4 years is £16k and with Isuze's the residuals arnt too strong and he doesn't look after his trucks (think there around 1" of dust mud and crap on the dash board at the moment) I do get a bit stressed when lease vehicles go back though for some reason.

I reckon the later generation of Xenons are brighter then the current generation LED's they seem to throw the light a bit further and wider with more intensity.

Like tarted up vans, I have a real thing against "faux coupes" like the 2 and 4 series - I've had a 4 series as a courtesy car and the boot and lack of rear doors was a complete PITA with kids. They are just a really annoying shape. I like hatchbacks and estates or "proper" sports car shapes but trying to do both doesn't work for me at all. I also like cars subtle - we got ours in grey to "hide" the M performance bits (grey mirrors, wheels, black exhausts, etc) - it looks pretty standard to anyone who isn't in the know. It then embarrasses properly quick cars while coming home from doing the shopping. :D
Oh oh - Mrs H. is in the process of swapping her X3 for a 4 series convertible (should of been here in September but, as seems to be common with German vehicles at the moment, its been delayed to late December)

A 6 pot BM is always going to sound better than a 4pot, they just don't spit or burble in the same way. I'm a bit deprived never had a fast RWD (closest is the E220 we have now but thats warm at best) but whats the issue with Haldex AWD?

Im with you on financing to a point but our E Class we couldn't have brought it cheeper and the lease was silly silly cheep and the numbers stacked up in our favour. Same with the pickup my dad uses, was going to cost us just under £30k and the lease over 4 years is £16k and with Isuze's the residuals arnt too strong and he doesn't look after his trucks (think there around 1" of dust mud and crap on the dash board at the moment) I do get a bit stressed when lease vehicles go back though for some reason.

I reckon the later generation of Xenons are brighter then the current generation LED's they seem to throw the light a bit further and wider with more intensity.

I had a mk4 Golf R32 with Haldex - it's moved on a lot but I find it still numbs the handling - makes it feel understeery and vague. I prefer "proper" 4WD (torsen) or RWD in fast cars - I really like how adjustable RWD cars are and if you do mess up, you have the option of adjusting the rear OR front wheels. The van's 4motion is Haldex but I'm not going to be battering that around country lanes and we more or less got it so we didn't have FWD (which I can't stand)!

Done the lease/finance numbers many times and it doesn't work for us- also got burnt in the past financing a car!

My wife's uncle who's a head gardener for the National Trust has just got an Isuzu pickup - he's pretty impressed with it so far.

@Dave Harris - nice enough cars but I just don't get on with anything impractical. They do look good though. A convertible arriving in December - not ideal timing!!

Back