Black and Decker Workmate

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
My trusty old workmate is finally falling apart, its over 30 Years old so not complaining. but the question is; Is there anything better these days? What should I replace it with?

Same, mine's seen better days, but although I've seen many similar things, none look better to me.
They're just great value for money, who minds having to replace it every 30 years! :slow rofl:

My trusty old workmate is finally falling apart, its over 30 Years old so not complaining. but the question is; Is there anything better these days? What should I replace it with?
I just repaired mine for less than 8 quid, lots of new parts for sale online

My late father made the first ever workmate think it was before I was born. He had a fabrication workshop and one day in walked the guy who invented it asking my dad to make the prototype for him . Always think about that when I see a rusty old workmate in someone's garage.

I just repaired mine for less than 8 quid, lots of new parts for sale online

Ooh, that’s interesting, mines about 30 years old too, but the shed roof leaked and the wood split and buckled.

Get another workmate. I’ve tried a couple, like the fold flat plastic topped thing, with clamps. Nothing comes close to the trusty B&D

Loz - Mine is approaching 40 years old now and looks a bit tatty but still works perfectly (even with a top that I've sawn into by mistake a couple of times). Over the years, it's been used and abused and I've replaced the feet once but other than that it works just fine. The feet were only replaced a couple of years ago and when I was looking for them, I saw that most of the other parts were available as well.

To answer your question, I don't think there's anything better out there and if mine died tomorrow, I'd get another immediately.

I inherited my fathers recently, one of the dual height ones with fold out legs. It’s early 80s (I think) with steel mid frame rather than diecast ally. I think the early ones were prone to cracking. It has some extension bars for clamping wider items (usually gluing stuff)

Ian

Paynewright - Yours sounds like the same model (and vintage) as mine - no sign of cracking here.

Just looked on ebay and surprised to see the model is still in production. Parts are available too but you dont need many bits for it to add up to the price of a new one. (This bugs me about replacement components as it drives our throw away culture!)

Just looked on ebay and surprised to see the model is still in production. Parts are available too but you dont need many bits for it to add up to the price of a new one. (This bugs me about replacement components as it drives our throw away culture!)
Find the genuine part number, stick that into a search engine and it pulls up pattern parts

I also have a workmate nigh on 40 years old but still going strong.
The kitchen fitter who did my Kitchen a few years ago had one of these and said it was a good workhorse. Keep meaning to buy one but it wouldn't get much use these days.
There is another identical but different name.

That’s the thing I used for about 6 weeks. The clamps are fiddly, and the table top has kinda sunk by about 5mm in the middle, so small bits don’t sit flat. I may have stood on though!!!

Here she is, given to me by my late father-in-law, no idea how old it is but I’ve had it at least 15 years, it’s a classic E61CFA3D-382A-4EE6-B90C-7AA399ED2C47.jpeg

I’d get a new one...strong reliable and not made from plastic....but for bigger jobs 2 x trestle and scaffold boards

32FC104C-6514-448A-AB97-8C7B6BCDC67C.jpeg

when i was a kid my dad made a table....just a bit of ply board with another bit of wood screwed cenrally in the bottom......put it on the work mate,screw the jawws up and it was prfect for my half size snooker table to go on.Have to rescue it from home as my mother has passed away and dad in a home(dementia).

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Back