Bit of an insurance nightmare - fortunately now sorted

Apretext

Edition Kombi 150PS
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So, I was with A Plan, and I gave them a ring to inform that we'd just converted the van from Kombi to "mobile office" (Basically a camper with more electrical stuff so I can work off grid) and they spoke to their underwriter and.... They then gave me 7 days to find a new insurer. Great :rolleyes:

Even their Thatcham office couldn't do anything. The biggest issue seems to be the van is owned by my company.

Eventually Brentacre and HIC did quote, were both helpful (Brentacre especially so), but in the end HIC were cheaper, so went with them.

Just worth bearing in mind for those who convert their company owned vans, it makes getting insurance even more of a PITA than normal!!

Is that your ‘own’ company or the company that employs you? I’d understand their concerns if the latter but thinking it through not much different insuring a car on PCP as ultimately belongs to someone else?!

Strange. I'm insured with A-Plan under the same/similar circumstances but not had any issues

That is strange my van Is company owned By my own Ltd company and A plan insure it no problems

That is strange my van Is company owned By my own Ltd company and A plan insure it no problems

It wasn’t an issue until we converted it. I guess they have a cutoff point for value, or an amount of modification.

Maybe it’s down to registered keeper? Ie, if your company name is your own name, it’s fine, if it’s a name unrelated to your own (which mine is), not so much.

Yeah I would guess it’s down to modifications mine has everything apart from a pop top and windows but seems strange unless their underwriting rules have changed since my renewal.

It wasn’t an issue until we converted it. I guess they have a cutoff point for value, or an amount of modification.

Maybe it’s down to registered keeper? Ie, if your company name is your own name, it’s fine, if it’s a name unrelated to your own (which mine is), not so much.
It's my company name on all docs - converted van is valued at £65k

What security does yours have? Ours is (currently!) Manufacturers standard (Plus blocking it in with the wifes car and a steering wheel lock whilst we sort the extra security!! But that's not on insurance).

What security does yours have? Ours is (currently!) Manufacturers standard (Plus blocking it in with the wifes car and a steering wheel lock whilst we sort the extra security!! But that's not on insurance).
Mine required a Tracker so that's what I had fitted

Mine required a Tracker so that's what I had fitted

That might well be why you didn't have an issue. We're probably going to go with a Ghost, as we'd rather it wasn't nicked in the first place. But insurance companies seem to prefer trackers for some reason.

That might well be why you didn't have an issue. We're probably going to go with a Ghost, as we'd rather it wasn't nicked in the first place. But insurance companies seem to prefer trackers for some reason.
I might get a ghost at some point too. I'll see... I get a discount as I've already had a tracker fitted but the same company. Good luck!

Mine required a tracker as soon as I said that I wanted to be able to park it on the road instead of the driveway. Value £65K also.

Mine required a tracker as soon as I said that I wanted to be able to park it on the road instead of the driveway. Value £65K also.

Parked on a drive (to the side of the house), with a security camera covering front and rear access.

Maybe they were just having an off day, but they apparently referred me to the Thatcham branch and they couldn't find anyone to insure me.

Also, just to add insult to injury, the rebate for the remaining balance of my policy now cancelled shockingly equalled exactly their cancellation fee.....

Back