Bilstein Front Shock Shocker

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
So I took the Cali into Breeze Pool today for service and 1st MOT and they found that the front nearside shock had blown. This is a Bilstein as part of the Seikel HD lift kit.
So as this was picked up in service they didn’t do the test for me as it’s not due till the 18th so I’ve got a few days to get it remedied.
Just a bit annoying as they were only fitted June 2017 and only done 14k miles max, so only just out of warranty, ironically if I still had the original kit it would have been replaced under VW warranty!

My original installer is on the case for me as I need a pair pretty sharpish..

So I took the Cali into Breeze Pool today for service and 1st MOT and they found that the front nearside shock had blown. This is a Bilstein as part of the Seikel HD lift kit.
So as this was picked up in service they didn’t do the test for me as it’s not due till the 18th so I’ve got a few days to get it remedied.
Just a bit annoying as they were only fitted June 2017 and only done 14k miles max, so only just out of warranty, ironically if I still had the original kit it would have been replaced under VW warranty!

My original installer is on the case for me as I need a pair pretty sharpish..

Compare that against my own Bilstein shocks that have done 65k, taking an absolute beating with the weight I carry, the miles I do, and the way I sometimes drive, and mine are still performing like the day they were installed.
I'd like to hope Bilstein will be able to offer a good will gesture in your situation and it gets fixed for free, but it will be interesting to know the outcome of this. I'm sure I recall @RattyMcClelland breaking a spring on his B14s or something, and they weren't interested, but could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

Compare that against my own Bilstein shocks that have done 65k, taking an absolute beating with the weight I carry, the miles I do, and the way I sometimes drive, and mine are still performing like the day they were installed.
I'd like to hope Bilstein will be able to offer a good will gesture in your situation and it gets fixed for free, but it will be interesting to know the outcome of this. I'm sure I recall @RattyMcClelland breaking a spring on his B14s or something, and they weren't interested, but could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

Would be nice to see a supplier do a good turn on a part that is hardly used

Good luck

Andy

My B14 fronts have done around 150k with no issues but the rear ones gave up at about 120k, not the shock but the lower bush failed.

Shocks are a serviceable part of the car , the term of their use varies from supplier to supplier . 15 K miles is way too short , but 150k is way past its best
Remember the oil in side a shock works as hard as the engine oil and often reaches similar temperatures . If the shock is leaking its probably failed and should be a warranty claim ( if in the correct time frame ) at 150 k miles the shock will still work but wont offer the same forces that it would when it was new . ( oil thinning )

I hope no one would leave their engine oil in for 150 k miles ha ha

Back