Bilstein B14 rear springs - knocking

GraemeP

Morning all - got a strange problem and just wanted a steer if possible!

had my B14s and Amarok steels put on yesterday, and coming off the ramps and over the rollers there was a bit of a knock / clonk from the rear. We eliminated the shocks by refitting the originals, then realised by winding the collars to the highest rise height they stopped. The collars were about half way when we had the issue. Fitter believes it is the bottom spring cup thingy touching what I believe is the bump stop housing.

Anyone know if there’s a Bilstein UK contact I can get hold off?

cheers!

Do a search of the archives - (quite) common problem. Also, I’ve read where you put the adjuster (Top or bottom) makes a difference.

Last edited:
Thanks - have done quite a bit of searching and seems like the majority find the fault in shock bushings / mountings - can’t find anything on spring and spring mount

Also to add, it’s a ‘19 plate van with 2,400 miles so it shouldn’t be anything worn on the van

For anyone else that gets this in future - the issue was the adjustable spring plates were fitted at the bottom of the rear springs, and not at the top. Swapped over and all good.
Glad you got this sorted, but I’m surprised the fitter didn’t know the correct way to fit them first time.

i never got to the bottom of mine...

the rear dampers i believe was knocking in the top fixing to the van... so i have my OEM dampers on, and knockings gone!! something to do with the age of the bilsteins against the age of my van...

i never got to the bottom of mine...

the rear dampers i believe was knocking in the top fixing to the van... so i have my OEM dampers on, and knockings gone!! something to do with the age of the bilsteins against the age of my van...

the diameter of the bush was to big, so it was revised with smaller ones, and all issues with knocking disappeared

we were one of the first to discover this spending a late night scratching our heads when the first T6s were released. But Bilstein Soon sorted it.. but there were a few kits still floating around and they are ok on T5s

the diameter of the bush was to big, so it was revised with smaller ones, and all issues with knocking disappeared

we were one of the first to discover this spending a late night scratching our heads when the first T6s were released. But Bilstein Soon sorted it.. but there were a few kits still floating around and they are ok on T5s

yes so I’ve heard ! So I just need the new bushings fitted..... ???

It was T32 mainly originally. And as I’ve previously said they supply complete rear shocks, with new bushes, just an easier job, and we had better results than bushes alone.

It was T32 mainly originally. And as I’ve previously said they supply complete rear shocks, with new bushes, just an easier job, and we had better results than bushes alone.

fair enough oil, i know you had me a solid deal for a new rear set of dampers.. but whilst im still running OEM dampers, and im having no problems, the money is better in the house fund!

Back