Biking Hiking Day Van Diy

Sherbs

T6 Pro
Seems the done thing is throwing up here a commentary of the build or finished product. I’m a bit late to the party but I’ll try to rewind to the start.
Finally took the plunge and picked up my first T anything on the 12th March this year.
A late reg (Aug 2016) T6 Highline tdi 150ps manual, Silver, Tailgate, 9300 miles, spotless inside and out.
Fiamma bike carrier, removable tow bar
2 captains chairs up front, bench in the back
Bargain price

As it’s my daily drive I’m thinking modular units that will swallow 2 mountain bikes and overnighting essentials with a bed thrown in the mix, designs and approach are fluid right now, inspirations from slide pods and stitches n steel.
Useage:
father/son biking trips
Husband/wife getaways
Family camping trips with awning

Job 1:
Limo tints on rear windows
While I want to do as much as practical myself, I have no experience doing this so booked in with a local company:
AK Tints in Leeds
Lunchtime appointment fitted while I waited
£25 per window
Perfect result

Job 2:
Captain chairs need swivels
Opted to order the offset units from Kiravans
Fitting was a doddle
But the drivers unit very quickly developed an annoying squeak.
At this point it was hugely convenient that Kiravans are just 10 miles away, allowing me to pop up and swap out the unit with them.
Really helpful folks, very impressed with their customer support.
The swivels are good but as an engineer I quickly identified potential improvements that further stabilise them - a side project for now but something that may become marketable if the designs work out

Job 3:
God it’s noisy in here.....
Thanks to the sound deadening shop for speedy delivery of a bulk box of silent coat I am popping off hardboard panels and sticking foil lined butyl everywhere.
What I had read suggested 1 bulk box of 40 sheets is enough for a SWB T6
Not true as I have just ordered a second box today and so far only covered rear 3rd of van (walls, roof, back door and slider) with minimal wastage.

Job 4:
More insulation needed
The silentcoat is quietening things down and thanks to Harrison trim supplies (just down the road) I am adding thermoliner over the silent coat.
I fear another under estimation here, their 8m recommendation isn’t going to cover everything , I’ll let you know how much extra us needed later

Job 5:
Oops nearly forgot this
Gotta get lower....
Actually number 2 in order of work
Booked into West Yorkshire van centre for VW 30mm lowering.
This place is so close I actually walked home after dropping it off

Job 6:
Were trapped!!!
Not really, but no way to open the back door from inside means I am dusting off the soldering iron, digging out some looming tape and finding a shiny push button to fit in the back door panel. Job done

Job 7:
We need Wi-fi
This one is also in progress like the insulation...
Did some research and settled on the TP-link M7650, supposed to be one of the fastest wireless routers around and even better when Curry’s just discounted it by £30.
Small palm sized unit
It occurs to me it will fit nicely in the overhead cubby just insert into that blanking panel....
Need a permanently wired power supply for it

Job 8:
Arrived today, my wind deflectors:
After picking up positive feedback on the forum settled on the Heko units.
Doddle to fit once you watch the video and look at the photos. Haven’t had a drive out yet but I’m liking the look.

Job 9:
Phone holder
Simple thing but makes a difference if done right.
Opted for a Sinjimoru unit from Amazon but retrofitted a right angle usb lead to tidy the wiring a little - photos needed to do this justice

Job 10:
Emperors new clothes anyone?
Vinyl wrapping the lower half next week at the vehicle wrapping centre...
Subtle changes but hopefully good ones
Pictures to follow

This thread needs loads of photos to show of your handiwork. Sounds like your doing some good work though. :thumbsup:

Cable routing anyone?
So I’m not a fan of cables trailing all over but not ready to start popping pieces of the dash out or drilling holes in it just yet.
So adopting an old trick from previous dash mounted cabling challenges.
Small gauge tie-wraps around the cable and then tuck the tail of it between the line of panel gaps keeps the cable where it belongs really well.

Job 11:
New boots needed.
The van came with 16” Alloys
Not the best look that can be had
Met up with @Stevefrs on Saturday morning to collect 4, 18” Alutec silver rims....
There’s been a lot of emailing and phoning around to find a powder coater who will entertain a 2 colour job on these but I think one has been located now, more in this next week when I get the van back from the vinyl wrappers

Back