Best Bang For Buck?

Mistuk

Air-Traffic Controller
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have a T6 Highline T30 standard suspension with 16 inch alloys and Hankook RA28 205/65/R16C 107/105T tyres. I'm considering getting it lowered, but want to change the wheels / tyres as well (the 16s look too small on the van).

I'm not too bothered about aesthetics, but want the best ride I can get - and also want decent tyres for grip / braking etc. I quite like the off-road looking ones (friend has KO2s), but my off-roading will mainly be muddy campsites etc. What do people recommend?

Which should I do first, and what will give me most bang for my buck?

Thanks

I think tyres are the most important part, correct type/style/tread etc
Chunky tyres will be a step towards the off road look and help with any muddy fields etc and sized correctly (larger) will fill the arches a little more and absorb a bit more impact for comfort ?

I have a T6 Highline T30 standard suspension with 16 inch alloys and Hankook RA28 205/65/R16C 107/105T tyres. I'm considering getting it lowered, but want to change the wheels / tyres as well (the 16s look too small on the van).

I'm not too bothered about aesthetics, but want the best ride I can get - and also want decent tyres for grip / braking etc. I quite like the off-road looking ones (friend has KO2s), but my off-roading will mainly be muddy campsites etc. What do people recommend?

Which should I do first, and what will give me most bang for my buck?

Thanks

Careful going too low with KO2's. I stuck a set on mine running B14's very low and it drove awful.
I don't know if it was the combination of hard suspension and huge profiles, but it felt like it was on ice.

I've run AT tyres on my T5, and whilst they have extra grip in the mud, imo the trade off is just too much for my regular driving (if that's what you do). the wet weather braking was significantly compromised (I had GG AT).
All tyre selection is trading one befit of against another and likewise poorer aspects of a tyres traits.
When I ran AT, All-seasons weren't about, but now they are just the perfect tyre for most peoples needs with a T6, and I honestly think they are better than most summer tyres in wet weather regardless of the season.
For me pack any of the good brands directional tread All-season; All-weather. tyres; they do a lot of what an AT does off-road; but so much more on-road; and very good for most UK weather all year round
My favourite are the Nokian Weatherproof SUV; just a bit deeper tread than some of the others; exceptional in snow; and mud, and rain; But if you drive than van hard in the dry the Michelin cross-climate SUV are slightly better on dry roads;
It's worth getting a Commercial or SUV spec all-season/all-weather tyre imo because they have a better tread/tread gap ratio with regard to off-road use and carry the M&S Mud&Snow symbol. Ride comfort is just as good as any summer imo. Just don't go too big with the wheel diameter.

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like all seasons is where I want to be. And I guess 17 or 18 inch wheels?

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like all seasons is where I want to be. And I guess 17 or 18 inch wheels?
Arguably 18" offers the most; 235/55/18 imo perfect
you can go 19" with Michelin Cross-climate SUV 235/50/19, and you get the benefit of real looker
I'm at 235/60/17 Nokian Weatherproof SUV, which means I can hit big potholes at 70mph, and just sail through them; and some people argue in winter conditions All-Season/Wnters seem to work better with smaller diameter wheels, perhaps the tread contact patch is longer, so you mobilise more surface area.
I might well go for a slightly larger diameter wheel next time round, if ~I can ever wear out my current Nokians., just because life is more interesting when you mess about with your T6 - up to point;).
We have a works van "Renault Master:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:" with 16" Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate; that is a very impressive tyre in poor conditions, but most T6 owner want or need a bigger wheel.

I’m clueless when it comes to the numbers on tyres, and which wheels can go with which tyres (I understand that 18” tyres on 18” wheels, and I get the load and speed rating, but not the rest) if I went for 18” wheels, any wheels recommended? And are those Nokians available in the size you recommend?

So if you think 18" wheels are the way to go:
If you stick with VW standard size tyres that will be:
255 (the width of the tyre in mm) 45
100% they are.

Now they are slightly larger in rolling diameter than the OEM tyres T6's come with
If you visit
Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator

you'll see they are around 3.5% larger in diameter; which= 3.5% increase in gearing; so you are actually travelling 3.5% faster for the same revs.

The tyre make the van sit about 12.5mm higher; and fill the gaps 12.5mm more all the way around.

Imo, you may want to consider 25mm wheel spacers all the way around to really improve the stance of the van;

You’ve just thrown the term “wheel spacers” in there! :) something else to look at! Does it need them, or is that for aesthetics?

I presume going from 16” to 18” on these nokians is going to be a massive difference both in looks and drive / feel

Can I get my speedo recalibrated, and I presume it pays to have the alignment done fully afterwards.

You’ve just thrown the term “wheel spacers” in there! :) something else to look at! Does it need them, or is that for aesthetics?

I presume going from 16” to 18” on these nokians is going to be a massive difference both in looks and drive / feel

Can I get my speedo recalibrated, and I presume it pays to have the alignment done fully afterwards.
No you don't need the spacers for this slightly larger tyre. It's really down to "Bang for your Bucks" Looks
The wheel size at 18" is fine, it is an OEM size, most people slightly prefer the drive on 18" wheels; the only down side is slightly less rubber to protect the rims; nut there is still plenty or rubber on a 235/55/18
You may just notice the alteration in gearing with a slightly larger tyre, but it's minimal for most users. There is a Bridgestone 255/45/18 All-weather, if you want to stick to OEM sizes. If looks don't interest you that is always a route
And if looks really aren't of interest stick with 17", and 235/55/17 Nokians/Goodyears/Michelins
No point altering the speedo, in OEM trim the speedo over-reads anyway.
If you follow the "Will they fit" link, you'll see at 29mph "original" it is now doing "30mph"; so the speedo is still over-reading.

No need to get re-alignment for this small wheel tyre size change; but imo I would always get a 4 wheel alignment carried out, just because a T6 can be out even from brand new.
Some tyre-shops carry out the "Hunter alignment" check for free; and only charge if they need to alter anything.

I've just gone with 18 Sportlines with Nokian Tyres. Handles great, but I think Nokian don't make a tyre rated for a T30 in 18 inch.

Ignore that, just read that you want All Season tyres - which they do make. It's winters that they don't.

So 255/55 R17 Nokian Weatherproofs - will the difference in gearing be noticeable?

So 255/55 R17 Nokian Weatherproofs - will the difference in gearing be noticeable?
I'm not sure where you have seen this size?, do you have a link?
That size of tyre would be fine imo for a T6
Would you notice the gearing change?, Yes you would even if you had a 204BiTDI, and even if you are lightly loaded. However in my experience after a week or so of driving it; as long as your engine output v loadings v terrain travelled aren't too out of kilter, the 3% up-gearing would be within most peoples realm of acceptability, imo;)

Back