Banded Steel Wheels leaking air

minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello you lot!
Here's my beauty and I love her!!!

they are 9" front, 9.5" rear and it sitting on So-low's at their highest all round. So there's a slight rake (as opposed to being level) Tyres are 255/50's rear and 235/50's front. Soooo comfy with 55's and coilovers on their highest.

BUT, I've had a disaster and the two fronts have failed. Within 1 day of each other!!! Been on the van about a year. absolutely gutted. Desperate to find someone who can make me two new ones but proving difficult.IMG_1791.JPGIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1800.JPGIMG_1911.JPGIMG_1917.JPGIMG_1918.JPGIMG_E1790.JPG

Last edited:
Hello you lot!

BUT, I've had a disaster and the two fronts have failed. Within 1 day of each other!!! Been on the van about a year. absolutely gutted. Desperate to find someone who can make me two new ones but proving difficult.View attachment 81485View attachment 81485View attachment 81486View attachment 81488View attachment 81489View attachment 81490View attachment 81491
Gutted to hear about the failures, that looks soooo good!

Gutted to hear about the failures, that looks soooo good!
yeah me too mate. So wierd. they are perfectly straight. Didn't hit a massive pothole or anything. they have failed on the weld in exactly the same place on both wheels. I have a vid but don't know how to post a vid here.

yeah me too mate. So wierd. they are perfectly straight. Didn't hit a massive pothole or anything. they have failed on the weld in exactly the same place on both wheels. I have a vid but don't know how to post a vid here.
You have to upload the video to YouTube or a similar site first, then post a link to the video.

Hello you lot!

they are 9" front, 9.5" rear and it sitting on So-low's at their highest all round. So there's a slight rake (as opposed to being level) Tyres are 255/50's rear and 235/50's front. Soooo comfy with 55's and coilovers on their highest.

BUT, I've had a disaster and the two fronts have failed. Within 1 day of each other!!! Been on the van about a year. absolutely gutted. Desperate to find someone who can make me two new ones but proving difficult.View attachment 81485View attachment 81485View attachment 81486View attachment 81488View attachment 81489View attachment 81490View attachment 81491
As for building new ones, Duchy is the man that everyone on here uses. Here’s a link to his Facebook page, but not sure about getting them over to you?

https://www.facebook.com/Duchy-Banded-Wheels-1554667628166822/

Hello you lot!

Is yours a T32 @minmax89.... and what do you use it for.... what I mean is, is it always ‘heavy’?

Is yours a T32 @minmax89.... and what do you use it for.... what I mean is, is it always ‘heavy’?
Thanks. No it’s a t30 and no not at all. Just a few tools in the back is all. And it’s like that 99% of the time. About one day in every 6 months it my be loaded with boxes of tiles but that is it.
They failed after a weekend in Sligo (North west Ireland) where the roads weren’t great and I had wife and daughter in the front. But I’d been home about a week when they failed. Came out one day to a half flat front, took it in to get the puncture fixed but....

When I put on the so-lows it dropped by 120mm and that was on its highest setting! I was expecting the 80mm stated on Transporter HQ. Spoke to Andy at the time as I was concerned they were fitted wrong or something but no, all was ok. He said the DSG is heavier so...

When I put on the so-lows it dropped by 120mm and that was on its highest setting! I was expecting the 80mm stated on Transporter HQ. Spoke to Andy at the time as I was concerned they were fitted wrong or something but no, all was ok. He said the DSG is heavier so...
DSG might be heavier, but not by anything like enough to make 40mm difference, that’s a laughable suggestion! You would need more like a ton of extra weight to make that much difference! I think in one of the recent THQ vids on suspension they are now saying that the SoLow are 100mm out of the box, but still, the DSG wouldn’t account for the difference, that’s a crazy suggestion.
All that being said, there are plenty of people running banded steels and SoLow suspension and I’ve not seen a single report of a failure on here. Have you contacted the company that did the wheels for you originally?

DSG might be heavier, but not by anything like enough to make 40mm difference, that’s a laughable suggestion! You would need more like a ton of extra weight to make that much difference! I think in one of the recent THQ vids on suspension they are now saying that the SoLow are 100mm out of the box, but still, the DSG wouldn’t account for the difference, that’s a crazy suggestion.
All that being said, there are plenty of people running banded steels and SoLow suspension and I’ve not seen a single report of a failure on here. Have you contacted the company that did the wheels for you originally?
Thanks for your reply mate.
I bought a whole package deal. 4 new 17” GP’s, blasted, banded, dressed, powder coated, quality new tyres fitted with proper load rate (but rears turned up not correctly load rated). Balanced. Posted to Ireland. The guy who sorted it came well recommended from the lengthy Banded Steels page on T5 Forum.
First issue was wrong colour. Not his fault but we were both trying to find a RAL as close to Oryx White as I wanted to match the van.
So I got them re-powder coated here to a better RAL.
Anyway the second was when it went for DOE test here in January (wheels and tyres been on the van since Aug’19.) and they failed it on the rears being 99w rating so had to get two new tyres to pass. I never checked when I got them, just assumed they were correct. So it’s my fault again
Then the third is this. The fronts failing. They are scrap. And I’m gutted. I don’t want to change to alloys unless I have to.

so I’m running around with so-lows and 16” claytons. I mean....it looks redonculous.

SoLow’s are 100mm out the box on the front.

seems like a bad band on the smaller set maybe.. guessing your fronts are slimmer than the backs. Where were they banded?? Don’t say on the steels :think smile bounce:

SoLow’s are 100mm out the box on the front.

seems like a bad band on the smaller set maybe.. guessing your fronts are slimmer than the backs. Where were they banded?? Don’t say on the steels :think smile bounce:
don’t really want to say but a garage owner in UK, where by the sounds of it had a welder to do the banding, someone else does the powder coat, and he sells you the package. And he was well reviewed, kept on popping up through pages an pages, etc.
And I don’t see the point in chasing it as I don’t think I want another pair through that
channel. Hence trying to find someone else.
Here they are. 2” band. It failed on the outer weld (on the right in second pic where marker pen is pointing)46959BA9-A021-4978-9E8E-1A1108CEF435.jpegBCB419E3-870B-4CFA-A189-FEFD720AE252.jpeg

If they were all done by the same company I’d be inclined to get 4 replacements not 2!
that thought has deffo entered my head! But rears are fine still. Not got a lot of confidence any more.
But ya know loads of people have banded steels with no issues. I really thought I’d done my research. I love the 17’s though....

I was only asking because if two of the steels have failed then something is up and doesn’t seem right.
If someone is selling sub standard wheels which fail that’s pretty dangerous!

maybe find out from a decent banding company what the actual problem is and if they have been done right. If they haven’t then people need to know who so they don’t go buying duff steels. As mentioned above I would buy a whole new set. Hope you get it sorted.

Back