Baffled By The Insurance

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
I'm completely baffled by the insurance company...

I took out insurance on a brand new T6 4M panel van 2 months ago.... I discussed with them at the time about the planned conversion to a camper.... Insuring the van for an initial 40K they came back with a premium of £286 for the year...

I rang them this morning and told them about the conversion, listed the main mods, Reimo roof, RIB bed, 250W panel, Cupboards, Gas hob, Fridge, Upgraded alloys etc, etc and said I wanted to insure the van now at £55K...

I told them about Ghost 2, which they had never heard of, but thought it was a good idea, and that I have an S7 tracker fitted....

"No problem sir" came the reply..... "That will be an extra £23 a year"

I'm not complaining.... but somewhat baffled by their pricing... £2 extra a month for a 15 grand upgrade on the value o_O

Last edited:

I took out insurance on a brand new T6 4M panel van 2 months ago.... I discussed with them at the time about the planned conversion to a camper.... Insuring the van for an initial 40K they came back with a premium of £286 for the year...

I rang them this morning and told them about the conversion, listed the main mods, Reimo roof, RIB bed, 250W panel, Cupboards, Gas hob, Fridge, Upgraded alloys etc, etc and said I wanted to insure the van now at £55K...

I told them about Ghost 2, which they had never heard of, but thought it was a good idea, and that I have an S7 tracker fitted....

I'm not complaining.... but somewhat baffled by their pricing... £2 extra a month for a 15 grand upgrade on the value o_O
The value of the vehicle only plays a small part in the insurance price. The biggest factor is you, the driver, which in your case stays the same. Try putting a newly qualified 18 yr old driver on the policy & see what happens.

Sounds good to me, just paid £460 for a 4Motion 180 at £45k in a cheap area of the country and mid 50’s driver with spouse. (Does have commuting cover which adds a bit)

Yes, I understand what your saying @Salty Spuds Postcode is another big one....

It's just that I was somewhat surprised as I know all to well what insurance companies are like....

Last edited:
Reactions: DXX
I've Just renewed my T32 204 with LV and made sure that the conversation was recorded, & increased the value up to £60,000
from £35,000, now that the conversion is finished, plus I managed to get it on a multicar policy with my Jag XF.....
Price from 'A Plan' without the increase in value £570
Price from 'LV' £181.................... It pays to shop around

Whilst a nice cheap policy is always a wonderful thing, it does give me concerns personally. I.e just how good are they going to be come the time when you need to claim. I do worry that a cheap company may not be all that good at resolving your loss.

Reactions: DXX
I've been driving for a very, very long time and have always had a spotless license until last year when I got caught on a mobile camera for doing 45 MPH about 100 yards before the 40 limit went back up to 50. To avoid points, I did a speed awareness course and the insurance company wasn't interested. However, last month I got caught by the 'variable speed' fixed overhead camera on the M5 northbound just before the M4 junction - my own fault as I didn't realise that they were switched on when the lights were not displaying the speed limit. As a consequence. I've now got points on my license (3 of 'em) for the first time ever and I'm dreading insurance renewal time in the summer on both my car and the camper as I've no idea what it will do to my premiums. That turned out to be a very expensive early sunday morning stroll down the beach!

I've been driving for a very, very long time and have always had a spotless license until last year when I got caught on a mobile camera for doing 45 MPH about 100 yards before the 40 limit went back up to 50. To avoid points, I did a speed awareness course and the insurance company wasn't interested. However, last month I got caught by the 'variable speed' fixed overhead camera on the M5 northbound just before the M4 junction - my own fault as I didn't realise that they were switched on when the lights were not displaying the speed limit. As a consequence. I've now got points on my license (3 of 'em) for the first time ever and I'm dreading insurance renewal time in the summer on both my car and the camper as I've no idea what it will do to my premiums. That turned out to be a very expensive early sunday morning stroll down the beach!
Commiserations, remember when we could drive anywhere and not worry about big brother? Not all progress is good.
We live in the north of Scotland and to get practically anywhere south of here we have to drive down the A9, 150 miles of average speed cameras recording every journey!

I've done 2 speed awareness courses and had accumulated 9 points at one point... Although have kept my nose clean for some time now....

An SP30 added £40 to my policy
An SP50 added £50 to my policy

It's taken 5 years to get my licensce clean again... but maybe more by luck than chance as there's a speed trap around every corner...

Thanks for the small reassurances guys. Jason - I would happily do another course but you can only do one in three years and the two occasions that I 'got done' were only 8 months apart. That said, it's entirely my own fault so I just need to grin and bare and try to be a good boy in the future.

As others have said 3 points rarely causes any eye rolling from the insurance companies, since so many folk have them due to the prevalence of cameras. Get more than 3, or something other than an SP30, might be a different story.
20 years ago I had two SP30’s, before the advent of the speed awareness course, first one insurance co weren’t bothered, 2nd one put it up though, and kept it up for 5years, the buggers. Only valid on licence for 3 years, and you can have them removed after 4 years AT’s. But those are not the rules the insurance companies work to.

Ref insurance my insurance is due next month and at the moment I am paying about £550 2018 150bhp panel van used for work 4 years no claims. No far of the big 50
Today I tried getting a quote online
With the mods I want to do and some I have done
20 wheels and wider tyres
Front splitter
Rear roof spoiler
Side windows
3 seats in the back
Remap
And the best prices was £2958
WHAT A JOKE A

Ref insurance my insurance is due next month and at the moment I am paying about £550 2018 150bhp panel van used for work 4 years no claims. No far of the big 50
Today I tried getting a quote online
With the mods I want to do and some I have done
20 wheels and wider tyres
Front splitter
Rear roof spoiler
Side windows
3 seats in the back
Remap
And the best prices was £2958
WHAT A JOKE A

Some insurance companies will quote ridiculous prices because basically they're telling you to do one... they don't want your business....

Keep shopping around... it'll pay off.

don't know how true it is but was told by one guy in an insurance agency that right or wrong most insurance company's assume 3 points on licences when i declared mine some time ago, and didn't make a difference to my premium.

Back