Bad drone on BFGs.....but why?

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Evening all!

Quick All terrain tyre question regarding the drone of them.

I have 17" BFGs on my camper which im selling (well, sold)

I have put 16" BFGs on my latest camper conversion and the drone is awful! Only difference between the two vans is ones on 17s with little drone and the other is on 16s with bad drone from the tyres. The 16" van is a T32 on standard suspension so not sure if that plays a part in it or not with it being stiffer suspension?? Its an ex AA fleet van.
Its either find the solution or sell them (which id rather not do)

Cheers,
Chris

Just a thought - some of the T32s had bigger brakes that meant 16” wheels wouldn’t fit properly as they would foul. Are you sure the drone isn’t the front wheels dragging on the break callipers?

Correct on the brakes but steelies fit. It’s actually the alloys that come as standard but wrapped in BFGs

The difference in sizes will obviously mean different wall heights but also, potentially, different pressures. If the tyres are different ages then different treads depths too?..
I would guess that there is a certain resonant frequency at work here. Does the hum increase noticeably at a certain speed?
I used to have Goodyear Cargo Vectors on my T32 and one of rears wore a strange saw tooth profile on the outer edge. I think it is fairly common in lightly loaded vans but, anyway, this would be quiet up to about 60 then at 70 it would whine like anything when the frequency hit the sweet spot.

Last edited:
The difference in sizes will obviously mean different wall heights but also, potentially, different pressures. If the tyres are different ages then different treads depths too?..
I would guess that there is a certain resonant frequency at work here. Does the hum increase noticeably at a certain speed?
I used to have Goodyear Cargo Vectors on my T32 and one of rears wore a strange saw tooth profile on the outer edge. I think it is fairly common in lightly loaded vans but, anyway, this would be quiet up to about 60 then at 70 it would whine like anything when the frequency hit the sweet spot.
Its quiet up until 30mph and then from there its just louder and louder the faster you go

No spacers pal
Similar to above...... are all the wheels fitted flush to the hub and torqued up correctly, might be worth a check, I had similar when fitting steel wheels and all season tyres. Paint on the wheels needed cleaning up to get it to fit to the hub correctly

My neighbour seems to think it could be because its on the T32 tougher springs. Possibly swap out the springs with T28/T30?

If you’ve still got hold of your other camper it might be an idea to do a wheel swap and see if the problems persists on the other van. That way you can narrow it down to suspension or wheel/tyre combo.

If you’ve still got hold of your other camper it might be an idea to do a wheel swap and see if the problems persists on the other van. That way you can narrow it down to suspension or wheel/tyre combo.
This would give me a definitive answer but unfortunately not possible :(

If the tyres have a few miles on them check for uneven wear around the circumference. The issue I mentioned above was quite visible where every third tread block seemed higher than the rest.

If the tyres have a few miles on them check for uneven wear around the circumference. The issue I mentioned above was quite visible where every third tread block seemed higher than the rest.
I will do this mate

Thats possible as Denby did my last van (I bought it converted) whereas I have done my own this time although I did do a thorough enough job I think
Chris, have you sound deadened the wheel arches internally and/or externally, and do you know (or can you find out) whether Denby did the same?

Chris, have you sound deadened the wheel arches internally and/or externally, and do you know (or can you find out) whether Denby did the same?
I did do the wheel arches internally yeah but not externally. It seems to be some converters do and some converters dont but without phoning I wouldn't know.

Back