B8's Why not?

Scruffy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
What's the difference between the B14's and B8's? Obviously there is a price difference, and I believe the B14's are fully adjustable, but what if I don't need fully adjustable dampers?

Used to have adjustable shocks on my Mini and set quite hard so it handled better but on a van I really do not see the point. Yes they could be a little stiffer to take out some of the roll but it is a van after all and not a race car

B14s are not adjustable dampers - the ride height is adjustable, the damping is not.
B8s are fixed height.

B14 is an adjustable damper and spring combo
B12 is a non adjustable damper and spring combo - uses the B8 damper with a lower spring
B8 is just the damper - no spring included.

For more of an "apples to apples" comparison, you should compare the B14 with the B12.

B14 is an adjustable damper and spring combo
B12 is a non adjustable damper and spring combo - uses the B8 damper with a lower spring
B8 is just the damper - no spring included.

For more of an "apples to apples" comparison, you should compare the B14 with the B12.

Thanks for the correction. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

So, could I use the B8 dampers with the 40mm H&R springs I already have fitted? And if so, would it give me a softer ride?

Yes @Scruffy you could.
I have 50mm Eibach's at the moment with standard dampers and I plan to replace the dampers for B8's at some stage - but don't have the cash right now.
The ride should be a bit softer and better controlled as the B8 damper is probably a better unit but more importantly it is shorter and designed to run with lower springs whereas the standard dampers are permanently running at 40-50mm compression.

Does the B8 alter the van ride height at all ?? i.e. If I am running -40mm springs (Cobra) over the standard damper now, does the change to a B8 alter ride height ??

Does the reference to B8's making the ride "softer" mean that there could be more 'wallow' and 'roll' on cormers than my current set up or would it definitely be a dynamic handling improvement??

Does the B8 alter the van ride height at all ?? i.e. If I am running -40mm springs (Cobra) over the standard damper now, does the change to a B8 alter ride height ??

Does the reference to B8's making the ride "softer" mean that there could be more 'wallow' and 'roll' on cormers than my current set up or would it definitely be a dynamic handling improvement??

The B8 won't change the ride height, that's only determined by the spring length.

Back