Audi Rear Axle recall

Texxaco

T6 T32 204 DSG on SoLow 3H Air remapped to 257PS
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,

I know that a fair few of us own Audi's hence I thought you would be interested in the below recall. My MD owns an A8 and has gone through 3 sets of rears tyres in a matter 12 months, all Michelin so not cheap tyres. The images he showed me of the tyres replaced were scary, the outside tread was all but gone, showing the canvas. He hardly uses his car which is shocking if you were to see the tyres, or what was left of them.

This only seems to be affecting post 2021 vehicles, see below.

Audi Recalls Already-Fixed Vehicles Again to Address an Axle Problem

A misaligned rear axle might cause rear tires to wear unevenly, which could increase the risk of a crash

By Keith Barry

February 3, 2022

1663771429830.png

Audi is recalling over 31,000 vehicles that were already recalled for a suspension issue last May because the fix may have caused the rear tires to wear unevenly.

The recalled vehicles are the 2021 Q7, Q8, Q5 Sportback, RS Q8, and SQ5 Sportback SUVs; 2021 RS6 Avant wagon and RS7 sedan; 2020 and 2021 A4, S4, A6, S6, A7, S7, A8, and S8 sedans; Q5 and SQ5 SUVs; A4 and A6 Allroad wagons; A5 and S5 coupes and convertibles; plus 2019 through 2021 RS5 coupes, and A5, S5, and RS5 Sportback sedans.

The original problem was due to a faulty nut in the rear axle assembly. As part of the repair, dealerships should have inspected the alignment of the rear axle, but the repair instructions provided by Audi didn’t tell them to do so. As a result, the rear axle may be misaligned and the rear tires could wear prematurely. Drivers may also notice that the steering wheel is misaligned and/or the vehicle pulls to one side while braking or accelerating, and there is a higher use of fuel.

Audi dealers will inspect the rear axle and adjust the alignment. They will also inspect and replace any prematurely worn tires free of charge.

Back