Anyone Heading Over To The Alps To Follow The Tdf?

View attachment 25632

Currently in the Loire. Heading for Bourg d’Osains tomorrow (long drive !)

Pete

Evening @Pete C I'm currently down in Bourg d'Orsans, it's pretty busy down here, but locals appear to be allowing everyone to park anywhere. I'm on a site outside (7km away) but will be riding my bike in to watch the tour go up Alpe D'Huez on Thurs.
This was my view out my pop top this morning.
IMG_20180717_071333__01.jpg

We are booked on the Ferme Noemie campsite a few km from Bourg d’Osains - could be the one you are on ?

Our plan is similar to yours - cycle into Bourg at some point on Thursday and see what happens from there.

Pete

OMG that's the one, best kids ride in the world.
Hope you enjoyed it today in Bournard. We never got to see any of the stage live today, decided to ride our own bikes and chill. Down outside Bourg d'oisen now ready to find an inch of space on Alpe D'Huez for Thursday. :thumbsup:

Yes had a great day in Bonand @$immo very busy, town was pretty much locked down with everything going off, felt a bit of an anticlimax at the end as wasn’t much of a finish today, hopefully a closer race for you tomorrow . Au revoir for now:thumbsup:

Iv enjoyed watching the TDF for many years( on tv), and i go out and support the Tour of Britain when I can.

Keep the posts and photos coming..
Hope you all have a fantastic and safe time :thumbsup:

Pic of wiggins TOB..
E4391D74-70BD-41CA-9F26-FA6E550BF944.jpeg

This might be on the list for next year so please post back with your personal findings, right down to any restrictions you found when getting around and camping. Im basically after the info you're after now :thumbsup:

What we have seen is that you can park up pretty much anywhere that’s wide enough to park your van at the side of the road, plenty of areas, also we’ve seen first hand French vw campers park up outside of larger sites for the night and just ride in on their bikes to use the toilets and have a wash then just ride off site again, seen it at least 4 nights running on our site and walked past them in their van each day.

Plenty of public toilets around all plenty clean enough and there is always the municipal swimming baths for a shower.

We have turned up to sites on our travels without booking and never been refused, always pitches available even if it’s just for 1 night.

Found the French people very easy going which I really didn’t expect also, having a great time over here, camping feels so easy here.

Hope this is of some help @Ed Webb

I'm the other side of town @Pete C in Venosc prob same distance away as you. Just a nice ride down the valley. Hope you have a safe and easy drive :thumbsup:

View attachment 25636 View attachment 25635
@Ghost I was surprised to see them Roll out the Finish line on what looked like a piece of material :confused:

I’d guess something to do with the timing sensors?

I couldn’t workout if you was on the summit of the last climb, or the finishing line from the photo, I was looking out for you on tv :)

If you not seen the tour before, you will be surprised how fast they go passed you.

If it was me I’d pick a spot when they going up a climb, and if you lucky a quiet spot where you don’t need to stay and keep your place for hours.

Arrived at our campsite. Have been told that the police are stopping pretty much everything and everyone going up Alpe d’Huez, so even walking a short distance up tomorrow could be challenging.

Having a look at a Plan B as apparently there is a footpath up not following the road.

Pete

Arrived at our campsite. Have been told that the police are stopping pretty much everything and everyone going up Alpe d’Huez, so even walking a short distance up tomorrow could be challenging.

Having a look at a Plan B as apparently there is a footpath up not following the road.

Pete
Ohh dear that may put a spanner in the plan. Was planning on riding up at least 6 corners and stopping lower than Dutch corner. We went past that two days ago and it was mobbed with techno house music pumping out of speakers bigger than my van.

May have to see what happens :confused::eek:

Just thought I would upload a few of the T6's that pass me as I wait on the side of Alpe D'HUEZ this morning waiting for the tour to come up. I know you guys like pics of vans :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

IMG_20180719_120930__01.jpg
IMG_20180719_122934__01.jpg

IMG_20180719_122925__01.jpg

Pete

This turned out to be rubbish. Plenty of scope to walk or cycle up Alpe D’Huez.

We walked a short distance up towards the first bend, where it was relatively quiet, but steep enough to slow the riders down.
Got a great view of the riders as they went past, and got back into Bourg-d’Oisans very easily afterwards.

Brilliant experience.

Pete

Did you see the k**b that ran alongside Froome at one point shouting in his face and then went to give him a shove?

We rode up to just below Dutch Corner I think number 12 or 13 setting off from Venosc around 8:30am. Nice and quiet and had a fantastic day and saw everyone go past. Rode home, got back about 8pm finally so nearly 12hrs out today, cream crackered!:D

myk_6172_hr__01.jpg
myk_6168_hr__01.jpg
myk_6242_hr__01.jpg myk_6292_hr__01.jpg myk_6252_hr__01.jpg

Fantastic photos @$immo
It’s Froome who looks cream crackered from your pics! :rofl:

The last two days have been dramatic and great to watch on tv.
So happy to see Geraint Thomas taking back-to-back stage wins. :thumbsup:
I just hope he’s left to race for himself by Sky, and not just ride for Froome?

Fantastic photos @$immo
It’s Froome who looks cream crackered from your pics! :rofl:

The last two days have been dramatic and great to watch on tv.
So happy to see Geraint Thomas taking back-to-back stage wins. :thumbsup:
I just hope he’s left to race for himself by Sky, and not just ride for Froome?
I think we all know what the real answer is to that. Probably like when Froome finished so close behind Wiggins a couple of years ago, loosing by mere seconds on the time trial etc. It’s all about their number 1 rider. In all honesty i’m surprised Gerraint has even been allowed to race for himself so far. Probably why Landa is riding for Movistar rather than Sky this year, as he rode some excellent stages last year but it was all about him towing Froome.

Back