Anyone got a dog with a sensitive stomach?

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
Bit of a random question but I know you’re a knowledgeable lot so thought I’d put this out there. I have a 2 year old Springer that’s on a raw diet. I’m convinced it’s the best way to go (for most dogs) however my dog seems to be either constipated or has the trots most of the time. I’m going to try a sensitive stomach dog food so wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions or can recommend a food. I’m very distrusting of vets as I’ve had some bad experiences with them.

We struggled until we tried the wet food made by Lily’s kitchen. Often cheaper to buy from Amazon than direct.

Sorry, reminded me of this....

Story by a Man standing in a queue in Tesco's......... I have 2 dogs & I was buying a large bag of Winalot in Tesco and was standing in the queue at the till. A woman behind me asked if I had a dog. On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Winalot Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms. I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and the way that it works is to load your trouser pockets with Winalot nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again. I have to mention here that practically everyone in the queue was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her. Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned. I told her no, it was because I'd been sitting in the road licking my balls and a car hit me. I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door. Stupid cow..........why else would I buy dog food??

Try wheat free to start with theirs plenty available, my GSD is fine with that but not normal crappy stuff. Pets at Home have their own brand at a reasonable price

One of our Vizsla's had a sensitive stomach and often had loose stools and we tried loads of different foods. A friend who breeds dogs recommend a local company to her that uses natural ingredients and I can honestly say that it did help a lot. Occasionally she would have a bad day but overall she was much better.
Here's a link to the web site.

We use tails.com delivered every month. They tailor it to your pet. Ours had a sensitive stomach and now no problems at all.

We've a female cockerjack about 7 1/2 years old. She's pretty sensitive, dry diet only and she's pretty good. Any human food from the kids dropping on the floor or dog treats it's not an easy poo pickup the next day.
Also it feels like on a hot day when she's run her legs off, dehydration plays a small factor in consistency .

Our Westie is on a wheat free hypoallergenic diet.

We used to give our collie dry food only. When he occasionally had the trots, we fixed him with a tin of tuna in vegetable oil.

Some raw dog food can be pretty rich in content. Look for dragonfly dog products online. A lady called Laura runs the shop and she knows her stuff. They do frozen delivery. Otherwise try the old switcherooo. Our miniature poodle was weaned on raw from day one and was one fussy dog. After a year of fussy eating - flavours in favour and then stopping, rotting the food flavours etc we have given up and she is now on pedigree gravy packets which she absolutely demolished without asking! I know it’s meant to be a bit like giving a dog version of a Mac Donald’s every day but what do you do if she just won’t eat the steak- also try to relax a bit about it. Dogs are dustbins and scavengers at heart so if you have to move away from raw just watch that your dog doesn’t gain too much weight and is otherwise healthy. Best of luck!

We managed to end up with a Labrador that has a sensitive stomach - what are the odds! She even went off her food and wouldn’t eat at one point. We now use Chappie tinned wet food - about a third of a tin, mixed with dry, and she has been good as gold for the last 6 years.

Had an English bull with colitis.
Vet advised chappy...as apparently it's less rich.
Combined it with a dry biscuit type food,and it worked well.

That has told me to feed her chicken and boiled white rice, and give her a probiotic called Pro Kolin

Our Labrador is on dry food only and as with most Labs she can and does eat anything, she has a steel lined stomach I think. However with her penchant for eating some seriously disgusting things on walks she does occasionally get the trots, we restrict her to boiled white rice and it does a great job of sorting her out in one or two days.

if you look at some dog foods they do contain rice as well so it might be worth a shot introducing some boiled rice for your dog.

We use tails.com delivered every month. They tailor it to your pet. Ours had a sensitive stomach and now no problems at all.
Same for our spaniel. We tried a number of different foods, but he always looked too lean and his poos were frequent and mostly runny. Since being on the tails.com food, his weight has settled and his bowel movements are normal :thumbsup:

That has told me to feed her chicken and boiled white rice, and give her a probiotic called Pro Kolin

Sounds the best answer so far...... here's my tuppence worth from keeping working Lurchers terriers and pet dogs.. plus there's even a dinner or 2 in it for you. Oven cook 2 large chickens. break up meat into portions take some for your dinner....
Then boil up the carcasses you can even add a small marrow bone but not to much as its greasy add some fine chopped veg , fine chopped carrots crushed peas and some rice the starch is good... all into the large saucepan Don't add gravey mix or anything with Salt in ... that's for your dinner not dogs .

remove bones / carcass divide meat into about 15 chinese food containers with the all the juice and freeze put 3 - 4 in the fridge at a time so always serving fresh food.

serve with a 1/2 a cup dry food the juice / jelly will add moisture helps stops the constipation a 14 kg bag would last months total cost about a £1.00 a day Inc treats just a few boneo biscuits each day ...

you cook for your family why not your dog fresh healthy food you can add fish rabbit cooked egg not raw occasional potatoes some left overs to the base mix and easy clean up and no packaging. works even for fussy eaters

if your feeding raw you need to add the feather, fur and bone ....

cheers Nick

Back