Any Radio HAMs out there?

Test tools and toys . .

i have this SWR / POWER meter.

Surecom SW-102S SO239 Connector Digital VHF UHF 125-525Mhz Power & SWR Meter

1616930291337.png

About this item
  • VSWR. Forward and reflected power direct digital readout, without any calibration. NOTE: DOES NOT compatible with Digital Radio
  • Maximum measurable power range up to 120W.
  • Low insertion loss (0.3 decibels or less) structure allows it to be permanently connected.
  • Build in Frequency country. Interface (in and out ): SO239
  • Frequency range: 125 - 525MHz

this is my one . .

1616930333739.png

I've got a frequency counter coming soon . . .

ill post that below.

Reactions: mmi
Well, this brings back memories! I held an amateur radio licence in my teenage years, till 1972, but after going to uni to study electronic engineering my interests changed to muntaineering as the amateur radio stuff was a bit too close to the topic I was studying. Apparently I can still recover my original callsign, GM3ZVB, but I haven't been tempted to get back into it. I was a Two Metre man predominantly and built most of my own equipment including the receiver in the picture which I used to take up to the tops of mountains, including a night on the top of Ben Nevis in the snow. Lithium Batteries hadn't been invented then so I carried up a standard car battery, which was ok until I started jogging back down the mountain and started to feel my back burning!
In 1972 three of us from school organised a radio expedition (GB3GWC/P) around the high points of Southern Scotland, Northern England and North Wales in a converted ambulance. This turned out to be a character-building exercise and was every bit as educational as school lessons! We had a puncture on top of one of the Scottish Hills (Green Lowther) where there was a road to a Radio Station on the top. Having failed to undo the wheel nuts we persuaded people from the Radio Station there to come and cut the wheelnuts off, only to find that the nuts on the LH side of the vehicle were LH thread, and those on the right were RH thread! That was our first lesson. My second lesson was not to top up the oil by putting it into the brake fluid master cylinder. There followed a scary few days driving up and down steep hills with literally only a handbrake until we had the whole system flushed out and the rubber seals replaced. Then the starter motor sheared..... A trip like that wouldn't be nearly as much fun in my T6!
My 2m Receiver.png Our School Expedition GB3GWC.png

G0HLW, not used it for many years. Network Radios are the latest thing and a really good way of communicating. Basically a hand held two way radio with a SIM card that communicates using data via the GSM network. Sets are cheap and you can as easily talk to a bloke in the States or in your next village. Zello is a common App, so you can use a smartphone as a 2 way radio ( kills the battery though) . Dedicated handset for less than 100 notes is perfect. Check out this uk site below for a simple explanation. The dedicated handsets are basically an android phone, but built and operated like a traditional two way radio. Be great to create our own channel to chew the fat en route to the camp outs. Proper Convoy style!

This’ll get your juices flowing Dellmassive, What is a Network Radio?

My loop antenna got blown down so second attempt at an HF multi band antenna is now a Hex beam on an home brewed mast... a pretty flimsy, telescopic, unguyed mast.
Have to say that despite the distractions of decent summer weather and subsequent lack of amateurs to talk to the Hex beam has made a significant improvement in how far away I can now shout at people from... pretty well nowhere is far enough away that I can't cause at least a little QRM locally at some point in the day.

IMG20220722135419_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Viewed from the end of the garden looking back to the house... no I don't sit in the shed... honest!:unsure:IMG20220722153556.jpg

Last edited:
Hello mates! Reposting here my last post: For sure there are several HAM radio operators here with a mobile station on board a T6. Just wondering about wiring, to install mine. Any advice will be greatfull. Thanks!!

If you want to try difficult, give air to ground a go (along with ground to air) with pre-emption and prioritisation!

Hello mates! Reposting here my last post: For sure there are several HAM radio operators here with a mobile station on board a T6. Just wondering about wiring, to install mine. Any advice will be greatfull. Thanks!!
Are we talking about power? Or arial cables?

The basic setup would be to use a 12v plug into the dash socket, and coax out door or window to a mag mount on roof.

Next step is hardwired to the fusebox under dash with a fuse buddy or install a new fuse in a spare slot.

Coax can be run ap A pillar to roof area for antenna.

If you are DMR then all you need is a WiFi hotspot and a DMR AP.

What rig and kit you got?

A few pics will help.

Fwiw...

I normally leave my rig at home as a base station.

Then take the mobile units out....

My mobile radio has Bluetooth so can be connected to the van.

But obviously limits the rx/tx range if inside the van.

Another option is a mobile radio with a coax feeder and roof mounted mag mount.

Very slightly off topic not ham radio but cb radio,I fancy putting my cb in the van not as a fixture as I often put it in my truck aswell,the thing is I've got a poptop roof so mag mount no use and there's not enough metal roof at the back of the poptop for it to go on,but I could put a roof mount there but it means drilling through the roof and I'm not sure I'm keen on doing that, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing antenna on..thanks

I've seen people use a sheet of metal under the poptop and a magmount on top....

To sandwich the fiberglass roof.... If you have a decent enough magmount it works fine ...... But wouldn't be doing 70 down the motorways.

Another option I've seen is a suction mount.... With a small whip antenna.

Though CB band comes with a large aerial......

I've also used a gutter mount bracket before... though not sure how that will work on a T6.

I think I would go for. Large magmount on the side of the van...... With a 90degree adapter to have the antenna vertical ....

CB’s in the 80s and early 90s. Then a wide band scanner. Yupiteru Mvt 7100. Which I still have. But seems to be less and less on there each time I switch it on. Used to be all sorts to listen too.

Sadly mobile phones and the t'interweb have definitely made amateur radio below 50MHz largely irrelevant. I can be talking to a mate in Virginia in the US at lunchtime and sending him pics of the latest bit of house bodgery from my phone.

Back