Any One Have An Isup?

What do you want it for? Surf, rivers, expeditions?
Experience?
Budget?
Do you want - stability or speed etc?

I have a morning’s experience on a Florida lake, and I expect any use will be lakes, and sea, small waves/swell rather than surf waves.
As a windsurfer with 30 years experience, I don’t need the width of an aircraft carrier, but for ease of use for my wife, I don’t want a needle.
Starboard and Red look good makes, and the quality of the assessories look good.
Hoping to pick up an 18 model in the sales!!!

Until you know if it’s definitely the sport for you I’d recommend spending around £400 rather than £1200+ for a high end board; Jo had a couple of lessons, loved it and we were all set on spending around £1300 on a Hobie SUP but our Hobie dealer talked us out of it and sold us a cheap Riber one instead (about £350); for the use we have had over the last couple of years it was the right recommendation and will hopefully serve our occasional usage for years to come.

@Loz may be able to make better recommendations.

Red and Starboard are the most well known makes and you pay the price.
Been on a few Red boards and not for me.
Have a look at O'shea, if your a windsurfer you will know Farrel O'Shea, his boards are very good quality and value, a 108 is a good all round board. Their new boards are also very light, makes a difference, I am buying a GTS soon.
Also for something a bit cheaper look at Tiki (Glider or Venture), local club uses them and are good value and very stable.
Lastly McConks have a good name for value boards, although not been on one so can't vouch.

Red and Starboard and the most well known makes and you pay the price.
Been on a few Red boards and not for me.
Have a look at O'shea, if your a windsurfer you will know Farrel O'Shea, his boards are very good quality and value, a 108 is a good all round board. Their new boards are also very light, makes a difference, I am buying a GTS soon.
Also for something a bit cheaper look at Tiki (Glider or Venture), local club uses them and are good value and very stable.
Lastly McConks have a good name for value boards, although not been on one so can't vouch.
Our mate recently completed the Yukon 1000 on an O’Shea board.

Ah yes, I read about that on FB recently.
Awesome achievement - he tried it last year as well but didn’t succeed as his kit got lost in transit and didn’t arrive until the day the challenge started meaning no time to test balance with other kit, etc., and he took time out to help someone else. In training he was doing laps of Bala (circa 8 miles) before breakfast lol

Awesome achievement - he tried it last year as well but didn’t succeed as his kit got lost in transit and didn’t arrive until the day the challenge started meaning no time to test balance with other kit, etc., and he took time out to help someone else. In training he was doing laps of Bala (circa 8 miles) before breakfast lol
Certainly is amazing. I did 10 miles on Sunday and was knackered lol.

Certainly is amazing. I did 10 miles on Sunday and was knackered lol.
We know Tony - aka Supermadkiwi - through having lessons from him at Bala (Green Dragon Watersports) about 4 years ago but have maintained contact and followed his progress since.

It is a mine field when it comes to choice (don’t we know it with our vans), thickness, volume, length, width, skegs, rocker, stringers, deck fittings, single/double skin, oh, and primary use (lake) etc.

It is a mine field when it comes to choice (don’t we know it with our vans), thickness, volume, length, width, skegs, rocker, stringers, deck fittings, single/double skin, oh, and primary use (lake) etc.
Dead right :D
My one suggestion is to try some before you buy, there are a few companies that have a variety of demo boards to try.
I have been on many different boards and they all vary in one form or another. What suits one person is different to another.

A bit like windsurfing:). When I had my first lesson circa 1984 it was on a “Surf Partner Pal” and I soon bought similar but this was followed by lots of others including F2 Lightning, and Comet Slalem, Fanatic Cat, Ram and Ray, etc., and about a dozen sails. Gave up in the late 90’s but have got back into sailing in the last 4 years but sadly not upto windsurfing any more :-(

@RussGT6 - just seen you are in Evesham - with the SUP connection, don’t suppose you know Alex Mellor at Bonkers Activities do you?

Sure do, paddle with him every Sunday.
How do you know him?
Met him many many years ago when he was working for a mutual friend at Rutland Water - hit it off and when he was looking for somewhere to live we let him move in with us for a few months - shortly afterwards he moved to Evesham and set up Aztec Watersports. Still friends on Facebook but not seen him for years - tell him Dave and Jo (from Leicester) say hi next time you see him lol

I've got a Fanatic fly air premium, haven't had much use out of it yet though, Fat stick get a good review for the price, our local hire company use them and had no issues.

Met him many many years ago when he was working for a mutual friend at Rutland Water - hit it off and when he was looking for somewhere to live we let him move in with us for a few months - shortly afterwards he moved to Evesham and set up Aztec Watersports. Still friends on Facebook but not seen him for years - tell him Dave and Jo (from Leicester) say hi next time you see him lol
Ha brillaint, small world, love it.
I sure will, will see him Sunday.

Loz Jr is on his second Red and has now settled on a 10.8 sport board.
He paddles about twice a week at the moment, most of them use Red Paddle, one has a Jobe (water skiers will remember them) and that is also well made.

You need to try a few or go second hand first.

A bit like windsurfing:). When I had my first lesson circa 1984 it was on a “Surf Partner Pal” and I soon bought similar but this was followed by lots of others including F2 Lightning, and Comet Slalem, Fanatic Cat, Ram and Ray, etc., and about a dozen sails. Gave up in the late 90’s but have got back into sailing in the last 4 years but sadly not upto windsurfing any more :-(
Yep, started in 86 with a Tencate 360 (plug in mast...popped out if to powered!), went to Tiga Powerjibe, Screamer, Zantos and Starboard Go...the latter being the best, unless in really strong winds, takes a 9.4 easily. Wouldn’t mind trying foiling.

Back