Any mountain bikers

Kev23

QA Engineer
T6 Guru
Any folks clued up with mountain bikes? i have a cube reaction GTC, running 26" wheels, how ever i require a new set of wheels, seems to be alot of variants for these, anyone advise?

If it’s any use, I got a set made up for me by DCR Wheels down in Chichester, he’s a proper wheel maker, that’s all he does and was surprisingly reasonable in price.

trouble is i'd not know what to ask for, prob more than i'd need to be fair as i don't do heavy offroad, use it more for resistance road training before i hit the road bike

26" has pretty much been phased out. The only bikes that really still run 26" are dirt jump bikes. That said, there are still a few rim sets for sale in 26" flavour. Worth checking Chain reaction to see what they have, and Superstar Components do reasonable wheel builds too. Halo are awesome too, and i think still do a 26" at a good price. Might be slight overkill for what you need though.

Dont know much (well, anything) about a Cube GTC, or how old, but i assume it's disc brakes so you want a disc specific wheel set, and your rear hub will need to match your groupset, ie Sram (XD) or Shimano, and how many speeds. For your front wheel, you wont have boost, so it'll be 100mm wide. And for each wheel you need determine if it's a quick release or thru axle, and if the latter, is it 12mm or 15mm.

26 still available in kids bikes and cheap bikes. You could pick up a used set as well, they're cheap although lockdown used prices are slightly higher

What do you actually want from the set? what's wrong with your old set?

Take a look on pinkbike "buy and sell" section, its a good place to pick up second hand components etc. You can filter on your area, there's always 26 inch wheelsets for sale.

26 ain't dead

26 still available in kids bikes and cheap bikes. You could pick up a used set as well, they're cheap although lockdown used prices are slightly higher

What do you actually want from the set? what's wrong with your old set?

the free hub is bust and can't be repaired apparently, i use mainly for road Resistance traing with wide tyres before i use my road bike, sometimes some off road but nothing dramatic

Take a look on pinkbike "buy and sell" section, its a good place to pick up second hand components etc. You can filter on your area, there's always 26 inch wheelsets for sale.

26 ain't dead
cheers, will have a look

Back