another seat question- anyone have built in bases/ swivels from CMC?

Mr Hero

VIP Member
Hi all.

I'm just trying to wrk out there best options for swivel's on my captain seats which is difficult without seeing/ trying three out.

I was looking at Exploria instead of Kiravans just because they seem to be lower and come with a lowering bracket.

However, I'm not too keen raising the seat height as I'm 6' but my wife is 5'.2'' so worried it may be too high...am I worrying too much?

I did see that CMC do a built in base with swivel for just over £200...saves messing with lowering kits and stock height. Has anyone got these? Do they rock/ squeak etc?

If I were to fit either, is it easy to adjust the hand brake?

Personally, I would love to see someone's set up to check height/ squeaking. I'm based in Sheffield but work in York.

Any response welcome....within reason!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have 2 types of swivel in my van. The passenger seat is a VW original and the driver seat is a Kiravans RIB seat base. I personally like them both but they are totally different in construction and turn round by different means. The drivers seat is raised about 40mm to clear the handbrake but you do have the option to lower the seat by the adjuster. I don't mind that detail tbh as it saved a lowering kit it instead.

You can look at mine / have a sit in if it helps with your decision? These pics were taken at different times of my build but they give you an idea of the swivel plate option. I'm about 5 mins from J31 M1 out on the A57.

20190822_101355.jpg20200712_130638.jpg20210330_160854.jpg20210330_162438.jpg

20190822_130837.jpg

Hi Monkster1. thanks for your reply. It would be good to see the Kiravans swivel and height difference. I like their stuff and have had 2 double seat swivels from them over the years (in my T4 and 5.1) but just need to check it out in person- I'm off work for about 10 days so if I can swing by at some point that would be great.

cheers again

Rob

Sportscraft here, TUV approved. Very solid, minimal height gain. Worth a nosey :thumbsup:

Hi Redun. Thanks for the reply. Yes another option I have been looking at and reasonably priced...no rattle?

Hi Rob,

We've just had a pair of Rusty Lee swivels fitted to our T6. I had the same concerns about height, so for a couple of weeks before getting the swivels fitted I ran the drivers seat cranked up about 50mm to get used to it. I'm 6ft and my other half is 5ft4, and she doesn't have a problem with the new height, has to bend down a bit more to take the handbrake off with it being lowered, but not a big deal. I've not had any problem with head clearance on the roof (and my hair is state at the moment!) and it doesn't feel like the roof is low.

The Rusty Lee's are pretty solid. No creaking/squeaking, you can just feel a little bit of flex going round corners, but I think this is the same with pretty much any swivel. They are quite stiff to turn however, the other half struggles a bit, but that probably helps with the fact that you get no rattle or squeaks.

Ash

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

We've just had a pair of Rusty Lee swivels fitted to our T6. I had the same concerns about height, so for a couple of weeks before getting the swivels fitted I ran the drivers seat cranked up about 50mm to get used to it. I'm 6ft and my other half is 5ft4, and she doesn't have a problem with the new height, has to bend down a bit more to take the handbrake off with it being lowered, but not a big deal. I've not had any problem with head clearance on the roof (and my hair is state at the moment!) and it doesn't feel like the roof is low.

The Rusty Lee's are pretty solid. No creaking/squeaking, you can just feel a little bit of flex going round corners, but I think this is the same with pretty much any swivel. They are quite stiff to turn however, the other half struggles a bit, but that probably helps with the fact that you get no rattle or squeaks.

Ash
Hi Ash

Thanks for the reply. Another option but as my wife is 5ft 2, I am looking for as low as possible.

Had a look at these as THQ fit them which is always a vote of confidence.

cheers

Rob

No rattle, vans lowered and fairly stiff too. Not a peep.

Hi Redun

Sounds good....put an order in this morning...didn't realise they did a lower non battery swivel..ideal!

Will upload a photo when they are fitted

Thanks again

Rob

Back