Another Awning Thread...

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
hi guys, we’re off to Cornwall for a week in 10 days and was thinking maybe we should grab a drive away awning...

However I don’t want to drill anything to the side of my van in the form of a C rail so I’ve seen ones you can buy that fit in the guttering, however struggling to find a black one... any help??

What’s people’s experiences with these guttering types and do they work with roof bars...

Here’s a pic of the van for guidance

EC34FFAA-8B6B-4989-A18B-B671B0B1F547.jpeg

I have got a Hexaway and am trying it with no rail just using the strap and the Velcro - so far ok but I am deciding on whether to do the rail or not. The Hexaway is amazing and so easy to put up 8 pegs and an electric pump just sit back and watch it rise. It is a driveaway tent but more gazebo. I bought it to use in the garden as well which it is designed to do.

The Kampa awnings have a velcro strap which will wrap around your roof rail. I think they also have other methods of attachment.
Googles your friend.

I have got a Hexaway and am trying it with no rail just using the strap and the Velcro - so far ok but I am deciding on whether to do the rail or not. The Hexaway is amazing and so easy to put up 8 pegs and an electric pump just sit back and watch it rise. It is a driveaway tent but more gazebo. I bought it to use in the garden as well which it is designed to do.

“Sit back and watch it rise” if only the misses said that more often :laugh:

Think we’re gonna buy the vango palm low... affordable and looks good enough for two chairs and a bit of space for a camping stove when the weathers poor...

any advice?

So the vango palm test week hasn’t had much testing.... no rain all week apart from a drizzle last night meaning water came into the awning.... but I believe it’s user error... how am I meant to layer the different sheets, you’ve got the actual shell of the awning with a 6 inch ground sheet at the bottom of it the whole way round, then the 6 inch ground sheet that sits the whole way round under the air beams, followed by the ground sheet itself... HELP
2C172BDD-CCB8-4DD1-99A1-C640C7FF0810.jpeg
499BB318-CA30-43E7-8C90-25534324332C.jpeg

Oh and who would make an awning that allows plastic straps to sit on the side of the van?! Or have I installed it incorrectly... still to get a c rail just used Velcro straps over the roof bars

DB01E567-D910-4CD3-83AD-CFF9CA8C7E35.jpeg
0312E4A7-C45C-4256-9AA6-6DB807E59D4D.jpeg

So the vango palm test week hasn’t had much testing.... no rain all week apart from a drizzle last night meaning water came into the awning.... but I believe it’s user error... how am I meant to layer the different sheets, you’ve got the actual shell of the awning with a 6 inch ground sheet at the bottom of it the whole way round, then the 6 inch ground sheet that sits the whole way round under the air beams, followed by the ground sheet itself... HELP
View attachment 46905
View attachment 46906

Oh and who would make an awning that allows plastic straps to sit on the side of the van?! Or have I installed it incorrectly... still to get a c rail just used Velcro straps over the roof bars

View attachment 46907
View attachment 46908
Think I'm gonna buy this one "palm" is it worth it? Best option? :) Thanks

View attachment 46905
View attachment 46906

View attachment 46907
View attachment 46908

Get the rail and a drive away kit - I tried without as didn’t want rail, but it’s a necessity with an awning

Back