Amalfi coast

Gweedo

Afternoon all,

Does anyone have any experience of doing the Amalfi coast in a campervan? I've heard some mixed reports, we've driven down to Italy before around the lakes and also Ca savio near Venice but heard the Amalfi might not be one for campervans - more a flight and public transport?
Any information/opinions appreciated!

Thanks
G

heard the Amalfi might not be one for campervans - more a flight and public transport?
...or a scooter! When we stayed in Sorrento there were bloody loads of scooters buzzing up and down being ridden erratically. :rolleyes:

Is the reported unsuitability regarding a lack of [good] campsites, or because of the narrow, twisty roads? I can't comment on the former as we were in a hotel, but full-size coaches could navigate the roads easily enough, so should be fine in a 'van from that perspective.

I would estimate about 50% of cars on the Amalfi coast have dents. And if you watch them park :oops:. That would make my mind up.

...or a scooter! When we stayed in Sorrento there were bloody loads of scooters buzzing up and down being ridden erratically. :rolleyes:

Is the reported unsuitability regarding a lack of [good] campsites, or because of the narrow, twisty roads? I can't comment on the former as we were in a hotel, but full-size coaches could navigate the roads easily enough, so should be fine in a 'van from that perspective.
Yes I’d heard that The campsite options look okay, not many but should be fine. It was more a case of whether it’s worth doing as part of a road trip, or if the experience would be stressful and easier by public transport.
I also don’t fancy ending up with dents and scratches as a result, it’s just something I’ve always fancied touring around, ideally in a Ferrari but our T6 will have to do

Yes I’d heard that The campsite options look okay, not many but should be fine. It was more a case of whether it’s worth doing as part of a road trip, or if the experience would be stressful and easier by public transport.
I also don’t fancy ending up with dents and scratches as a result, it’s just something I’ve always fancied touring around, ideally in a Ferrari but our T6 will have to do
Certainly from the northern shore of the Sorrentine Peninsula, the views across Bay of Naples to Mt. Vesuvius are spectacular. Capri is well worth a daytrip too (by foot ferry), as is either Herculaneum or Pompeii (if that's your thing).

I think I'd find the scooters the most stressful thing when driving - they're completely nuts, overtaking on blind bends and the like. From what I remember of the coach transfer, you are very much drive along the cliff tops, dropping down to (and climbing back up from) each town along the coast via a series of hairpin bends with fairly substantial inclines. Only you will know if you find that type of driving stressful or exhilarating.

If you did fancy the odd night in a hotel, I can absolutely recommend the Grand Hotel President in Sorrento. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

mtv2.jpg
mtv3.jpg
capri.jpg

Btw, Ferrari? Pah! Try one of these instead...
1658925926545.png

Last edited:
Certainly from the northern shore of the Sorrentine Peninsula, the views across Bay of Naples to Mt. Vesuvius are spectacular. Capri is well worth a daytrip too (by foot ferry), as is either Herculaneum or Pompeii (if that's your thing).

I think I'd find the scooters the most stressful thing when driving - they're completely nuts, overtaking on blind bends and the like. From what I remember of the coach transfer, you are very much drive along the cliff tops, dropping down to (and climbing back up from) each town along the coast via a series of hairpin bends with fairly substantial inclines. Only you will know if you find that type of driving stressful or exhilarating.

If you did fancy the odd night in a hotel, I can absolutely recommend the Grand Hotel President in Sorrento. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

View attachment 166787
View attachment 166788
View attachment 166789

Btw, Ferrari? Pah! Try one of these instead...
View attachment 166791
Wow! Looks amazing! Thanks for the info, I think we would work in a few nights in a hotel just to break it up, and that hotel looks superb.
To be honest I'm not fussy, the Giulietta would be equally up my street ! One day..

Reactions: Bav
Wow! Looks amazing! Thanks for the info, I think we would work in a few nights in a hotel just to break it up, and that hotel looks superb.
To be honest I'm not fussy, the Giulietta would be equally up my street ! One day..
That Giulietta has a very unusual add-on - it has a device that attaches directly to your heart strings and it pulls on them gently every time you look at it! :rofl:

As you say... one day!

My gut reaction is it’s not a particularly campervan friendly destination but that‘s based upon my being a Napoli resident some 20 years ago. @Lukavell might well come along soon and offer a more up to date opinion. He’s only recently returned from a time living in the region.

My gut reaction is it’s not a particularly campervan friendly destination but that‘s based upon my being a Napoli resident some 20 years ago. @Lukavell might well come along soon and offer a more up to date opinion. He’s only recently returned from a time living in the region.
During our airport transfers, the views of Naples out of the window were not very inspiring, that's for sure. There was rubbish piled everywhere and it looked very neglected, so I wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination. Also, taking the train to/from Herculaneum, provided an eye-opening view of the underbelly of Naples life. Having said that, the people we encountered were civil and friendly enough.

Not the same as living there though, admittedly.

I’ve been to amalfi coast loads , first time I hired a car, which I said I would never do again. Second Time I hired a scooter which was great and very easy.
If you love your pride a joy, be very careful. Yes the roads are dangerous, but there is seriously a lack of parking in most resorts. Especially positano and ravello. There is one Main car park in amalfi which gets full very quickly. (Summer)
I’ve only ever seen 1 campervan in all my time there.
Do bare in mind that buses do take the amalfi road, so a campervan will fit.

I would echo what others have said - amazing coastal routes, easily doable in a T6, but drivers are mad, cars are all dented, and no parking. We stayed in a hotel.

Pete

Definitely a flight and public transport. We found the busses and trains very easy.

Some good advice on here. Unfortunately, the roads will be chock-a-block full of nutters all summer, so the romantic vision of driving round the coast admiring the views will not be part of the trip; you'll be too focussed on dodging all the hazards! As said, parking is difficult, and expensive. That said I've done it numerous times in my van and come away unscathed. Keep your wits about you and be prepared to sink a few cold ones at your destination to celebrate your survival!

Just so you know. On Italian roads it’s every man for himself. Road signs and rules don’t apply, especially at round a bouts

Just back from a five week trip to Italy. We got as far as the Sorrento peninsula south of Naples. Driving in this area was bonkers and very little scope for my kind of campervanning - too many people and not enough open space. We loved the lakes and hill top villages, but Amalfi coast? - fly in and stay in hotel if that's your thing

Back