Am I paying too much? 2017 highline 31k miles

sipep

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all.

I've only joined the forum last week, I have put a deposit on a t6, and now I am just checking if it is a fair price.

I've purchased from VW, and it's waiting on an under tray, so at this moment I maybe able to cancel.

It's
2017(67)
31k (iridium gray)
Highline t28. With two owners.
Price was £21k no vat
They have put an MOT on and a full service. from the service history, it may have missed one service, last one they have recorded is 2020 @18k, but they can't confirm if it was done elsewhere.

I've only paid the deposit at this stage.

I want to convert it to a camper, when running the numbers I am not sure if I should just try fine a converted van for £35k...I've seen the same ref, but for 44k miles for £35k.

I know I could to some small jobs, sound deadening, maybe the windows,

Any thoughts, suggestions ..

Thank you..

There are plenty of T28 campers around but you need to be mindful that a T28 can only have a maximum gross weight, after the conversion, of 2800KG, so keep that in mind.
Other than that, buying any vehicle at that money is a big decision for most of us and it's easy to overthink things or talk yourself out of it, I'd say life's too short, if you're happy with it, buy it and start enjoying it.

My mate is just about to put his T32 150bhp grey van on the market for £40k with ~29k miles, full conversion, wheels, suspension, lights upgrade, ceramic coated etc etc etc. Nice van
62C2F6B3-368D-4CDB-B2AA-41802BC07ADF.jpegBest photo I have of his van (on the left)

PM me if you want the full details

There are plenty of T28 campers around but you need to be mindful that a T28 can only have a maximum gross weight, after the conversion, of 2800KG, so keep that in mind.
Other than that, buying any vehicle at that money is a big decision for most of us and it's easy to overthink things or talk yourself out of it, I'd say life's too short, if you're happy with it, buy it and start enjoying it.
Thank you @DaveD , I maybe overthinking.

I have had another look on auto trader and I can't not find another t6 highline at this mileage for the same money, the key factor is the "no vat". Which makes a difference of £4-5k for me.

I remember that I really loved modifying my car's back in my 20's (now nearly 40) , so I do have abot of excitement in my tummy to get my hands on the van and start customising it.

Earlier this year I bought a 2016 (66) T28 Highline, Iridium gray, 72k miles, one owner for £21.6k inc. VAT so your price seems good.

I'd be very thoughtful about the fact that it is only a 28 and you don't say which engine it has. Although £21k doesn't sound bad to me there isn't too much scope to build a decent camper in a SWB (assuming it is) with most of the expected bells & whistles with the reduced carrying capacity.
I always look at the probable re-sale value even though I would expect to get a good few years from it myself. Personal circumstances can change so quickly it may have to move on at short notice thus I'd expect a reasonable return at any time.
As it's all down to your own expectations and requirements of the completed conversion the decision is yours but do your sums very carefully as fixtures, fittings, timber, trim, plus all the small items are probably far more expensive than you think.

I'd be very thoughtful about the fact that it is only a 28 and you don't say which engine it has. Although £21k doesn't sound bad to me there isn't too much scope to build a decent camper in a SWB (assuming it is) with most of the expected bells & whistles with the reduced carrying capacity.
I always look at the probable re-sale value even though I would expect to get a good few years from it myself. Personal circumstances can change so quickly it may have to move on at short notice thus I'd expect a reasonable return at any time.
As it's all down to your own expectations and requirements of the completed conversion the decision is yours but do your sums very carefully as fixtures, fittings, timber, trim, plus all the small items are probably far more expensive than you think.
Hi, thank you,

It is the 102 bhp version, 5 speed..

I have done a little reading on t28 Vs t32, from my understanding, the t32 has different springs? And maybe a thinker anti roll bar, and bigger brakes. However, it might be more road tax and a different category for MOT and insurance.

I thought that I might pick up the t32 springs and anti roll bar used, when someone upgrades. When the front discs need replacing, I may get the t28 brakes upgraded to t32.

The bhp doesn't bother me, I watched a couple of remap videos and they all seem to make 110 on the rolling road before they get mapped.

I do get your point regarding all the little bits and bobs will mount up without realising.

Hi, thank you,

It is the 102 bhp version, 5 speed..

I have done a little reading on t28 Vs t32, from my understanding, the t32 has different springs? And maybe a thinker anti roll bar, and bigger brakes. However, it might be more road tax and a different category for MOT and insurance.

I thought that I might pick up the t32 springs and anti roll bar used, when someone upgrades. When the front discs need replacing, I may get the t28 brakes upgraded to t32.

The bhp doesn't bother me, I watched a couple of remap videos and they all seem to make 110 on the rolling road before they get mapped.

I do get your point regarding all the little bits and bobs will mount up without realising.
VED and MOT should be the same although you should check what VED category it is in now as some vehicles were wrongly registered when new and subsequent owners have been caught out. I don't think the DVLA will change an existing vehicle.
Insurance is a minefield and requires lots of quotes to compare prices.

Pretty sure the T32 needs a different MOT. (Class 7) No difference in cost but only certain MOT stations are approved for this type of MOT.

I have a T28 and 102 BHP, it's easily fast enough and personally I wouldn't bother with a remap. If you need the extra carrying capacity then it is very easy to update the suspension to that of a T30. The only downside to me for this model is the lack of a 6th gear.

I paid 18k plus VAT for my 67 Plate Highline with 20k almost 5 years ago!

Mine is a 102 t28 full camper and I have had it replates to carry 3t (no mods required) to give me an extra 200kg to play with (camper HW, 4 people, 4 bikes l, massive awning etc all added up so was worried I was over weight.

But power, brakes, suspension etc do not need upgrading to handle the camper conversion, they may need upgrading for style or handling but that’s the same camper or not

Pretty sure the T32 needs a different MOT. (Class 7) No difference in cost but only certain MOT stations are approved for this type of MOT.

I have a T28 and 102 BHP, it's easily fast enough and personally I wouldn't bother with a remap. If you need the extra carrying capacity then it is very easy to update the suspension to that of a T30. The only downside to me for this model is the lack of a 6th gear.

I paid 18k plus VAT for my 67 Plate Highline with 20k almost 5 years ago!
I believe a Class 4 MOT applies to any van (including a T32) that presents for testing as a camper. So, once conversion is complete, a Class 7 MOT shouldn't be an issue (if, indeed, you consider it to be an issue in the first place :)).

Mine is a 102 t28 full camper and I have had it replates to carry 3t (no mods required) to give me an extra 200kg to play with (camper HW, 4 people, 4 bikes l, massive awning etc all added up so was worried I was over weight.

But power, brakes, suspension etc do not need upgrading to handle the camper conversion, they may need upgrading for style or handling but that’s the same camper or not

Fancy that, I always thought you needed to change at least the springs. Seems I was wrong :)

MOT is the same on a T32, I've had four of them all campers and never been queried.

Fancy that, I always thought you needed to change at least the springs. Seems I was wrong :)
I mean you’ll want to of course but I don’t think it’s required to have it up plated (having said that mine had already been upgraded to lowered coil overs when I got mine done) or for the camper weight

Back