Almost buying a T6 - any advice gratefully received...

RayMc

We are days away from buying a 68 plate Tech S T6 Transporter Shuttle. Just a few things we need to check and really need to drive it - good old lockdown!

I am interested in the thoughts of those more experienced than I in a few things...

The van has 2 seats up front with arm rests (Captain seats?). We would really like to be able to fit a swivel seat base for these so we can turn to face the next row of seats which is possibly a 2+1. The van has two sliding doors. There is a third row of seats which folds forwards and is one bench. Basically we want to be able to use the van as our family car and for days out - open water swimming, somewhere to sit afterwards and have a brew, so fitting a table would be nice, similarly for road trips when we need to stop off for a break. And then for camping to load all our stuff into, maybe a bike rack on the back? We don't want to convert it to a camper but imagine using it as a place to sit and shelter, etc as described above. I'm not sure how comfortable the second row of seats are for long journeys. And we need to fit mats (Rugs for Bugs?) or even look at carpeting.

Please bombard me with any information you have. I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Plenty of info for that on the forum. Unfortunately you won't get many responses as you have asked a lot of quite open questions.

As for the swivels for the captains. Plenty of options and very easy to fit. Good luck finding everything you need. There is a lot knowledge to tap into on this forum.

Yeah I've read quite a bit on here already. Lots of very useful posts. Thanks for your reply. Reassuring about the swivel seats. I think my questions are quite open as I don't know what I don't know yet!

We have a California Beach (ie a camper without a kitchen etc) as our family car.

we like the bikerack on the tail gate. We have a removable tow at. We also have a Nano kitchen pod which clips into the floor rails.
We find it a perfect and very versatile family car. Rear seats are comfortable. Can has all the room need for the four of us and two dogs and all the crud we need to cart about for fun.

as you wouldn’t have a pop too, you have even more options regarding roof rails and bars. I would also suggest you consider a wind out awning

What every you buy make sure that it has genuine OEM LED Headlights. The standard lights are nowhere near as good in fact very poor.
Have you considered a Caravelle? They are already fitted out for sitting around in the rear. The centre cockpit normally has two swivel seats at the front and a rear bench that can double up as a bed by folding flat, should you not want to bother pitching a tent. They also have as folding utility table. The seats and table run along rails allowing for infinite placement. All the above can also be removed. So all the camping gear can be stowed in the boot area, the rear bench slid forward if necessary to allow for additional gear and so on. We camp in a mountain type tent a Hillebeurg. However we quite like just sleeping in the vehicle. Ours is a Caravelle Executive 4Motion with a rear diff-lock and it is quite capable. Particularly with suitable aired down tyres. Just a thought. Good luck with what you choose.:D

I've tried to answer some of your questions, although i did struggle a bit with which were actually questions!

We are days away from buying a 68 plate Tech S T6 Transporter Shuttle. Just a few things we need to check and really need to drive it - good old lockdown!

I am interested in the thoughts of those more experienced than I in a few things...

The van has 2 seats up front with arm rests (Captain seats? - yup, these are they). We would really like to be able to fit a swivel seat base for these so we can turn to face the next row of seats which is possibly a 2+1 - yes, perfectly doable. The van has two sliding doors - yup, all good. There is a third row of seats which folds forwards and is one bench. Basically we want to be able to use the van as our family car and for days out - open water swimming, somewhere to sit afterwards and have a brew, so fitting a table would be nice - doable in theory but not enough space IMO between the front seats and row 2, unless you put them on caravelle sliders, similarly for road trips when we need to stop off for a break. And then for camping to load all our stuff into, maybe a bike rack on the back? erm, yup, plenty of options here - tow bar mounted and tailgate mounted. Loads of threads on this subject We don't want to convert it to a camper but imagine using it as a place to sit and shelter, etc as described above. I'm not sure how comfortable the second row of seats are for long journeys - not sat in them personally but think they're fine. Can't imagine you'll be sitting in them either!. And we need to fit mats (Rugs for Bugs?) or even look at carpeting rugs for bugs are good quality; would recommend. Depending on usage, you might want rubber mats though.

Please bombard me with any information you have. I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Thanks for that info everyone. I'm new to the forum (obviously) so not practised in tagging individuals just yet.
@JOG - yeah I'm very interested in the idea of a wind out awning. I'll search here when the time comes. Reassuring about seats and usage, etc. Thanks.
@Kind of Blue - I'm afraid a Caravelle is out of our price range for the age we are looking at. That's where we started and quickly realised it was a pipe dream! I've read quite a bit on here about the lights and that does worry me. I'm trying to find the difference between H4s and H7s and what the van we are probably getting does in fact have. It is Tech S so I'm thinking basic. Your van sounds fabulous! Thanks for your reply.
@Village - thanks for commenting on all my ramblings! By second row of seats I meant behind the driver. The 11 year old will be travelling in that row (or me for that matter!) so we need to check how comfortable it is for long journeys. I did wonder about space between the seats once swivelled. I've found a few posts on this, one with pictures. I'm liking the idea of mats that can be removed if we are having a particularly messy day and also to be cleaned. Although I really dislike getting into the minibus with no carpet with wet feet so I know I will want mats immediately!
Thank you all.

And the tagging worked! It didn't look like it was going to!:cool:
You are far more advance than I am. :rofl: I will need to experiment with the panel at the top of the reply box . No idea how to post images from other web sites, so I just post a link which is a pain. I have forgotten more than I once new which is probably very little. The young just rattle from one function to another like it is going out of fashion.:slow rofl:When they explain at the usual several million miles per hour, I am left more confused than when I started...:laugh:

Just enjoy the process of making your van your own. There is masses of information on these pages and experts on experts. It is amazing. What ever pace you choose, either double quick like yesterday or take a few years to do the simple what ever just enjoy it.:) There is a friendly crowd on here and plenty of banter or Crack a s I call it, craic, or what ever I shall soon be told. I do not write some abbreviations now because some one will nag about apostrophises ''''''''''''. there I have put plenty in to keep em busy.:rofl:

@Kind of Blue - I used my Twitter knowledge to attempt the tagging! That paid off. As for the punctuation and spelling I am known for it at work - I am the checker! But I wouldn't dream of correcting it on a forum!!! o_O

As for the van - I am nervous that we are making the right choice. We can't afford exactly what we want and wish we'd gone down this road sooner. We've realised we don't want/need all the fancy pantsy stuff up front as long as the back works for us - and as long as it's comfortable for long journeys. I love my tent too much to consider camping in the van so, at least until I get too old, it will be just for use as the family car and days out. I just don't want to get it and then wish it had sliding rails, swivel seats, full carpet, a log burner, Sky TV...:laugh:

The Shuttle S spec usually comes with H4 lights, SE spec comes with H7. It’s not a deal breaker though because you can fit better lights from Transporter HQ for £400 that will be adequate.

If it’s the Shuttle S in Leeds then bear in mind it has aftermarket reverse sensors which are not integrated to the head unit. That head unit also cannot have a reverse camera retrofitted easily. Not sure if that’s a concern for you or not.

Last edited:
@Kind of Blue - I used my Twitter knowledge to attempt the tagging! That paid off. As for the punctuation and spelling I am known for it at work - I am the checker! But I wouldn't dream of correcting it on a forum!!! o_O

As for the van - I am nervous that we are making the right choice. We can't afford exactly what we want and wish we'd gone down this road sooner. We've realised we don't want/need all the fancy pantsy stuff up front as long as the back works for us - and as long as it's comfortable for long journeys. I love my tent too much to consider camping in the van so, at least until I get too old, it will be just for use as the family car and days out. I just don't want to get it and then wish it had sliding rails, swivel seats, full carpet, a log burner, Sky TV...:laugh:
Ah, the spelling thing. Is just a bit of dry humour usually... they the spelling or punctuation monitors even count the number of dots as you see after humour usually. It is just a laugh on one or two threads. Often or not the complainants posts are littered with some sort of grammatical errors, which then starts off a repost and counter claims. Its usually in the evening when the guys are posting about what tipple they are on. the thing is once aroused to the humour everything by any one can appear humorous whether on the beer or not. It lightens up the COVID19 restraints.

RayMc
Look if it is a used vehicle and thing are very tight, try and ask some more detailed questions a few at a time. The guys on here will try there best to guide you. Do not just buy something because it is there and may be local and the first seen. I am not suggesting that by the way just an expresion. I can not help with detail but there areplenty on here who know these vehicles inside out. Take your time buy once. Used vehicles can be a mine field as I am sure you now but it is always worse for people when stretched. I know been there.

The Shuttle S spec usually comes with H4 lights, SE spec comes with H7. It’s not a deal breaker though because you can fit better lights from Transporter HQ for £400 that will be adequate.

If it’s the Shuttle SE in Leeds then bear in mind it has aftermarket reverse sensors which are not integrated to the head unit. That head unit also cannot have a reverse camera retrofitted easily. Not sure if that’s a concern for you or not.

It is Tech S and has reverse parking sensors apparently. The comments about the H4 lights are worrying. Are they really that bad? We have become very used to very good lights over the years.

RayMc
Look if it is a used vehicle and thing are very tight, try and ask some more detailed questions a few at a time. The guys on here will try there best to guide you. Do not just buy something because it is there and may be local and the first seen. I am not suggesting that by the way just an expresion. I can not help with detail but there areplenty on here who know these vehicles inside out. Take your time buy once. Used vehicles can be a mine field as I am sure you now but it is always worse for people when stretched. I know been there.

The dealership we use have sourced it for us. It has low mileage and I know that if we have any issues at all, they will look after us. I want to get it from them and I am far more impatient than my husband who will be sensible and look around. However, even he is keen now we have seen a video of it and know what it does and doesn't have - and he doesn't really do keen! I'm the one who loves cars and gets excited about buying them. This is the most excited I've been since we got the little car - and that was very exciting indeed! I need to rein it in.... :laugh:

The dealership we use have sourced it for us. It has low mileage and I know that if we have any issues at all, they will look after us. I want to get it from them and I am far more impatient than my husband who will be sensible and look around. However, even he is keen now we have seen a video of it and know what it does and doesn't have - and he doesn't really do keen! I'm the one who loves cars and gets excited about buying them. This is the most excited I've been since we got the little car - and that was very exciting indeed! I need to rein it in.... :laugh:
Ah that is good. I am sorry I never even guessed that you where a lass. Trying my best not to be misogynistic he said digging even deeper. It should not really make any difference but you would have had even more assistance which may peeve your husband because we men always need to be seen as knowing what we are on about, it is our fate. Which I am sure that your husband does know what is what. The total knowledge on this forum is absolute but some times it need just a little code to get it out.
I am sure that you will enjoy your vehicle and it is only natural to be excited by a new venture, especially at these times. As you may see there are lots of things little and large, inexpensive to the ridiculous that can be done to your vehicle to make it yours and more practical or pleasant for your use. Well we look forward to seeing your vehicle and your progress.:)

It is Tech S and has reverse parking sensors apparently. The comments about the H4 lights are worrying. Are they really that bad? We have become very used to very good lights over the years.
If you search on here about H4 headlights you will find many who say they are little better than a couple of candles! For £400 you can make the problem go away by fitting different headlights, it’s not a complicated thing to do, Transporter HQ can do it for you.

Going by the comments on other threads about H4 lights I would factor in the upgrade as part of your purchase cost. Or go for a Shuttle SE spec that has H7 lights as standard, they are perfectly adequate.

If you search on here about H4 headlights you will find many who say they are little better than a couple of candles! For £400 you can make the problem go away by fitting different headlights, it’s not a complicated thing to do, Transporter HQ can do it for you.

Going by the comments on other threads about H4 lights I would factor in the upgrade as part of your purchase cost. Or go for a Shuttle SE spec that has H7 lights as standard, they are perfectly adequate.

Yeah, they're the comments I've seen! Hubby isn't too worried about them - and he does the night driving anyway! Transporter HQ?? Any VW dealership??

Ah that is good. I am sorry I never even guessed that you where a lass. Trying my best not to be misogynistic he said digging even deeper. It should not really make any difference but you would have had even more assistance which may peeve your husband because we men always need to be seen as knowing what we are on about, it is our fate. Which I am sure that your husband does know what is what. The total knowledge on this forum is absolute but some times it need just a little code to get it out.
I am sure that you will enjoy your vehicle and it is only natural to be excited by a new venture, especially at these times. As you may see there are lots of things little and large, inexpensive to the ridiculous that can be done to your vehicle to make it yours and more practical or pleasant for your use. Well we look forward to seeing your vehicle and your progress.:)

Ha ha! My husband never gets involved in chatting on Forums - a) he's just not interested enough and b) he always thinks I get more help as a girl! Sad but true. Of course, just because I have a husband doesn't mean I'm not also a bloke. However, I am not.

And yeah, some posts seem to be written in a different language that I do not understand - and of course us newbies feel a bit stupid asking questions about what is obvious to the rest of you! I'm beyond caring if I look daft - I think that comes with age. But I don't want to be seen as a time-waster. With the best will in the world it is tricky to find everything you need on a forum with this much knowledge. I've been looking for info on chrome/silver side rails (if that's what they're called?)/wing mirrors/door handles...but to no avail...

Back