Alexa...

Steve1978

T6 Guru
I’ve just bought an Alexa input to fit in the van! Yay no more using my hands like a caveman!

Will send some pics when I fit it in the morning

I’ve just bought an Alexa input to fit in the van! Yay no more using my hands like a caveman!

Will send some pics when I fit it in the morning
Works a treat..
Next on you list needs to be a logitech harmony elite for all your tech

I have an Echo Dot with Alexa in my van, through a Huwawei 4G router.
So Amazon AND the Chinese government can listen to my van radio playing Planet Rock !
@Fish I bought a Logitech Harmony a couple of years ago, I thought it was utter rubbish but it wasnt the 'Elite',
maybe things have improved since then. The software support and integration was very poor and the full skillset wasnt available to Amazon UK servers..
I make my own Alexa controlled devices now using the ESP8266 which is cheap as chips!
Cheers
Phil

I have an Echo Dot with Alexa in my van, through a Huwawei 4G router.
So Amazon AND the Chinese government can listen to my van radio playing Planet Rock !
@Fish I bought a Logitech Harmony a couple of years ago, I thought it was utter rubbish but it wasnt the 'Elite',
maybe things have improved since then. The software support and integration was very poor.
I make my own Alexa controlled devices now using the ESP8266 which is cheap as chips!
Cheers
Phil
Awesome. Think it is a way of cutting down in remotes if only speech was enough. Won't be long with alexa etc

+1 for logitech harmony remote..

I've had the last 3 versions (at home - not in the van)

Currently - Elite.

I think they are awsome....pricey.....but awsome.

Me too, been using Harmony remotes for years, it’s the only decent solution for controlling tv, receiver, various input boxes etc. Not interested in Alexa though, had a play making up an Alexa device from Raspberry Pis in the early days but the novelty wore off so I fitted one into a teddy for my granddaughter to talk to and she got bored with it too. I’d rather use a remote in the house than give verbal instructions, and Siri rules the vehicles.

Hi
I have been using Alexa in my van and car just using my phone with the Alexa app, linked by Bluetooth. Also hands free as once app is opened by just saying ‘Alexa’ , works just the same as the home devices.
Sometimes you have to wake it up by pressing the blue button inside the app.
Might be worth a try to see how you get on with Alexa before hard wiring one in.
I use it with my pioneer dab in the van and standard radio in a focus

Ps.
Also works with amazon music app, and all song info appears on screen

Last edited:
I thought I’d got my hands on the echo auto but they won’t ship to uk yet. I’m not sure what they can do but hopefully they’ll be here soon.

Yeah fitted it but if I’m being honest I don’t use it very often at all. I mainly listen to audible and podcasts

Fitted Alexa auto
Apart from the obvious like internet radio stations,( better than the poor dab reception ) request phone calls, and what ever else you ask Alexa at home , can now turn the heating and lights on at home
on the way home , as you can see fitted over the front heated windscreen button, but just push top middle of alexa module to use heater button, used double sided self adhesive pad in the middle to mount the device along with a bit of good old blue tack at each end, not visible from the sides, also blocked off annoying cigarette lighter hole with 20mm blanking grommet, if Alexas is a success will probably fit device in the small compartment below, on the ceiling part of compartment out of site and reroute cable out of site if that makes sense

0BDDE81B-275F-4178-96E4-64FBD64A853E.jpeg

Back