Advice on best practice for storing a van over winter.

Hi All,

I'm going overseas for winter and want to do whatever I can to look after my van.

Firstly, I do have a garage, but it'd be an INCREDIBLY tight fit and an absolute ball ache to empty the entire garage. Is it worth going to all the hassle or can I protect it reasonably with a cover? I feel like perhaps my desire to garage it is based on decades ago when cars would rust much more easily.

Beyond that, what would people recommend to protect body, mechanics and interior.

Any and all suggestions gratefully recieved!

If I were in your situation I would do everything I could to get it in that garage, it'll be dry and much more stable temperature wise

A cover will just trap damp and dirt and crap and my ocd will find it won't be the same as when I put it in there

I've got my m3 in our garage and I love the fact that when I wash it and put it in there months later it'll still be just as clean

Ideally you should put the battery on a maintenance charge and take the weight off the tyres as well as store it in a dry garage.

Definitely get it in the garage. If you don’t it will be covered in green algae when you come back to it.

Pete

We put our caravan into secure storage for winter.... £350 lots of motorhomes and campers as well as classics in as well. Def piece of mind... Not sure if anything like that in your neck of the woods... But potentially is it and option?

Thanks all

Ok, yes. I'll but bullet and get it in there.

Any advice on how to protect it beyond this though?
I have heard people say overfill tyres, ensure it has a full tank of fuel, disconnect battery.
Anything else?

Definitely better inside. If you’re struggling for space I know a man where I keep my caravan near Northwich.
He has lots of vehicles inside on trickle charge and he lives on site which BTW has a gold standard security rating and very noisy Alsatian!
Maybe too far for you - approximately 30 miles from Stoke

Back