My first ever van :) Who / what for my modifications - advice please...

vwski

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Everyone,

Soon to get my first ever van...so excited! albeit cheesed off because of my process so far :(

I'll keep it brief but in short I've had a new van and extensive build on order since early March. After being messed around by the modification company I finally decided last week to cancel my order. It's such a shame but it turned out to be one of those 'too good to be true' scenarios. What a ball ache!
With that in mind I set about finding another new van with a similar high spec - eventually after phoning around several dealers and going backwards and forwards, I must have found one of the only high spec vans left in stock in the UK. It was just sitting there at a dealer :)
I was told factory orders would be around 4 months but that could easily reach 7 plus! After hearing that I really wanted a stock van as I've already waited since March.

Anyway, now that I have my van on order (delivery next week) I'm searching for people to modify it for me. I'm looking for a full on build with sound proofing, carpeting, sound system, suspension, lighting, body work etc etc... It will be a BIG one.
I've whittled my search down to a couple of different options really - Source everything individually which will possibly take a bit longer but will cost less and spread my expenditure OR source a company that can do everything (or the majority) in one hit.

Anyone have any advice for me please? Maybe you've done the same and either it did or didn't go to plan?

I've found a couple of companies that can do the lot but in all honesty I was hoping they would come out slightly cheaper as they would get the entire job. So far that's not the case though. We'll see...I have another company to chat with next week.
I've also found someone that can do the interior fit out and sound work, one for suspension, another for body work, one for wheels and so on.

I really don't know what to do for the best. Anyone else been in the same boat?
I want to try out some suspension setups if possible along with audio upgrades. No point spending money on something I don't need.

Any advice would be much appreciated please. I really want the experience from here on to be a good one. I feel a bit deflated especially as I thought the first time I would be driving my new (first ever) van would be with it fully converted.

TIA :)

I bought a van from a VW dealer and had Three Bridge Campers convert it, really pleased with it, not your usual interior style, modern and contemporary but that's why I went with 3B, they can do it all one go, really just depends on what your budget is..., see pics of my interior

Inside Pics (2).jpgInside Pics (3).jpgInside Pics (6).jpg

Thanks. Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Sorry, Can't really recommend anyone from that part of the world for the conversion.

Absolut5 for the audio
CRS performance or Bognor motors for the suspension...

Most get the conversion done first, audio and suspension upgrades afterwards

Take your time planning the conversion.. i got mine done here and really pleased and highly recommended

Between @Absolut5 and @BognorMotors I’d have thought you could get most of your list ticked off, both have good reviews on here... Obviously other companies are available!

Thanks for the recommend. We have already spoken, and were one of the companies that have already quoted.

I will say to @vwski we would love to get the job on your van, and our price may be higher than you expected, but you really do get what you are paying for with us and other highly recommend dealers , and as you've already found out once, sometimes things can be too good to be true. We have had numerous vans in in the past, from some quite big names in the industry, to correct some really shoddy work.

We can however do the whole job from start to finish, and would love to have you down to the office to show you what we can do, and drink some coffee - Our t6.1 demo arrives in the next week or so, and we are looking forward to getting stuck into this - Our last demo van should be in there next issue of VWbus magazine - I've sent you pics of this

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. The mods on my new van will be to turn it into a very nice day van (I think that's what you call it) not a camper / caravelle conversion as such.
Bognor and Absolut5 come highly recommended on here hence speaking with them about the work I need doing. Both Oli and Jason are top blokes and it's so refreshing to speak with people that are so into their craft. I was very excited talking with them which is a great sign.

The main reason for my post was to see if people tend to go to one company or spread the work / cost around... Maybe waiting until offers or discounts are available as I know these happen at certain times throughout the year. I'm pretty convinced that the several people I've spoken with so far can carry out the level of work that I want / expect. I'm just trying to work out which way to go.
I'm the kind of person that would rather get stuff like this done in one hit but like most people I also need to watch the expenditure.

It's sod's law that I've just been called into work tomorrow having had 4 months off when I really want to be visiting conversion companies and seeing their work up close.
To top it all off my spare car has just burst it's sidewall and being on run-craps I don't even have a spare - not a good weekend at all so far! Tyre won't be replaced until Tuesday at the earliest either. Not what I need at all.
I have lots to think about and consider but I can't help feeling nervous which is no doubt due to my bad experience so far.

I really hope my van arrives this week... Thank you :)

Oh and Indium grey is the best colour! Get some pictures posted up when the van arrives and once it’s kitted out!
I'm sure I'll end up boring you all with plenty of images! ;)
The good thing about having the base van first is that I'll appreciate the mods even more afterwards - or so I hope

My advice is not to underestimate the time required to carry out many of the mods. No doubt experienced companies will be more efficient but take this into consideration before automatically dismissing the more expensive quotes. If it's really cheap then I dread to think where they make their money...
Also, the last thing you'll want to be doing is pulling out the interior multiple times to keep adding further mods. As said above, plan everything you want before you start and then you can at least lay in all the cables etc. in one go.

Last edited:
All un
My advice is not to underestimate the time required to carry out many of the mods. No doubt experienced companies will be more efficient but take this into consideration before automatically dismissing the more expensive quotes. If it's really cheap then I dread to think where they make their money...
Also, the last thing you'll want to be doing is pulling out the interior multiple times to keep adding further mods. As said above, plan everything you want before you start and then you can at least lay in all the cables etc. in one go.
All understood. Thanks for the advice. Luckily I agree with your thought process :)

So I spoke with A Plan again today... to be honest they didn't really seem to know their stuff - very frustrating! So many contradictions and so many mistakes on my proposal. Also, having not mentioned it until after getting my final costing (twice!) they then said I needed a tracker fitted. Same annual figure but with a tracker. Apparently my van is 'too expensive' - whatever that means.
Anyway, what do people do when setting up new insurance and declaring mods? My van is new and this is my first commercial policy.
I told them what my van cost to purchase but they also want to know costs/details of my mods - which are obviously not done yet and depending how things go may take a few or months or more. Who knows...I may even decide not to do half of them :oops:

Should they be basing my policy on the vehicle price and include mods that I MAY do in the future? Say around £10k +VAT worth of extras?
If so that takes my van to around £55-£60k inc VAT. Just seems strange telling them now when I don't really know what and how much. Plus by the time I add my mods, the vehicle value could have dropped by a similar price to my mods anyway.
Do people give accurate mod costs upfront even though these could change, or do you just tell them the vehicle price and list mods without knowing figures?
I would obviously keep photos and receipts as proof and then when I do each mod I would contact them and explain what/how much each mod was.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm not sure how to write it. I hope it makes sense as I'm really stuck on what to do.
I want to try Brentacre tomorrow so it would be good to have your thoughts before chatting with them.

Thank you :)

Speak to Brentacre, you can then add the mods as they are completed, I seem to ring them 3 or 4 times a year to update the policy to cover the mods, never been charged any extra. I’ve never made a claim so can't comment on what they’re like should the worst happen but so far I’m happy with their service.

Speak to Brentacre, you can then add the mods as they are completed, I seem to ring them 3 or 4 times a year to update the policy to cover the mods, never been charged any extra. I’ve never made a claim so can't comment on what they’re like should the worst happen but so far I’m happy with their service.
Ok. Thanks. so you only told them the van value upfront...not the predicted mod value? How is your van valued each year?

I think the only mod they have ever asked for a value was the wheels. My mods exceed £10k and it is still a Kombi!!

Hi I'm new to this so just trying to gather some information. I'm looking at buying a T6 panel van and converting it into a camper. Firstly who is best to insure this with with regards to making modifications and secondly is there still issues with getting the dvla to change the classification to a motor home? If so can you just keep it insured as a commercial van inc mods.
Thanks in advance

Back